Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Freshmen GPA Diaster, however, special occasion diaster!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by hydraphoenix15, Dec 23, 2008.

1. hydraphoenix15

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know lots of people in medical school have gotten low GPAs first semester, however I think I'm a bit different. First Semester I took all core courses and did somewhat bad.

Calc I - B
    Physics Calc-Based I - B+
    Orgo I - B
    Biology I - C

It was the whole first semester transition from high school thing, and I plan to continue taking all core courses next semester (switching calc with inorganic chem), and possibly taking a crack at the MCAT mid soph year. However this time I've learned my lesson and I'm not gonna slack off, I already know how much I'm suppose to study. Maybe I shouldn't of taken so many sciences anyway, but I like testing my limits, plus this way I can go for ALL of the higher level science courses my school can offer. Of course everyone's good to go for medical school if they improve their grades, but I wanna ask you guys if I still have a clear shot at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, NYU, NY Med, Stony and Cornell-Weill. I'd love to stay in the city for Medical school, Plus my dad does research at Mount Sinai, so It'd be cool to eat with him everyday, though its a very good school now. Also, any thoughts on what I should do with my schoolwork and to buff up my GPA? I'd love to hear some brutal yet honest feedback too.
    Thanks.

2. Handy388

Removed

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    where is the special occasion?

3. lase42

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    "

#3 lase42, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. Disambiguation

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Probably used AP credits.

5. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    There's a School Selection sticky at the top of this forum that gives the mean GPA and MCAT score for all US med schools. Once you see the GPA to aim for at your preferred schools, figure how many semesters of straight As it will take you to get there. Obviously you have a lot of hard work ahead of you. If you figure out where you went wrong, and fix it, you have plenty of time to get your GPA into a competitive range.

6. greatnt249

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some schools offer organic chemistry before general chemistry. I'm not exactly sure how many, but mine did, and I'm pretty sure Bucknell University does as well.

7. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The title of this thread sounds like a bad english translation of a Japanese movie title.

8. HeatherMD

HeatherMD Queen of Passiveagressiva
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    that looks alot like my first semester of first year, except I also had english.

And my grades were a bit higher.

Why are you different again?