Freshmen Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsthomas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made a C in a intro Psychology Class as well as a C in English 1102. However, the rest of my grades were pretty much A's. I have a 3.66 overall GPA and a 4.0 science GPA. Are these two grades going to hurt me when I go to apply to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you get A's in the core science classes. Med schools calculate your science GPA as well as your overall. Psychology and English don't fit into this catergory (as far as I know).
Keep up the good work. Stay focused.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

English is not a science course (obviously), but it is a pre-requisite for entry into medical school. However, because you have a "C" in it, you have obtained the minimum grade that you need to apply. Some schools do not consider a grade below a "C" in a required courses to be an acceptable grade. But, again since you have a "C" you're ok. But you should expect some questions on it during the interview.

As far as the psych goes, you're generally fine because most schools don't require a course in a behavioral science. Even if they did, you have once again given them the minimum grade that they want to see. But again expect a question or two on the grade during an interview.

Amit

[This message has been edited by AMS-007 (edited 06-18-2000).]

Absolutely not. You have a fine GPA. As long as you maintain it and get a "C" or better in prerequisite classes (1 year gen chem/1 semester organic chem/1 year bio/1 physics, etc) you are fine.

Don't fall into the premed syndrome of fretting over every little grade. Just keep up the good work and try to enjoy yourself. I have interviewed a lot of students for my school, and the best scores I (and many other interviewers I know) gave were to those people with whom we could see ourselves working with. In other words, no tight-asses need apply!