Freshmen Progress and Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mvince89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for y'all to help me judge my progress and plan for the next few years. So, here it goes.

I just concluded my Freshmen year at Virginia Tech in their Honors Pre-Med program. I am double majoring in Biology and Psychology with a minor in Chemistry

My grades:

First Semester (16 credits): First Term overall GPA--3.57

Biology 1-- B+
Biology 1 Lab-- A
Calc 1--B-
English-- A
World Regions-- A-
Introductory Psychology-- A

Second Semester (23 credits): Second term overall GPA-- 3.82

Biology 2-- B
Biology 2 Lab-- A-
English--A
Nervous Systems-- A
Psychology of Personality-- A
Statistics-- A
Sociology--A
Music Appreciation-- A- (never take this class with Richard Cole for all you hokies out there)
Research Assistant in the Center for Applied Behavioral Analysis-- Pass (1 Credit)

This makes my Cum GPA for Freshmen year a 3.71. However, I understand my science is severely lacking (about a 3.25). Fortunately I did not take so many science hours to make it that low. So, I believe I will be able to boost it.

As far as other relevant things I accomplished this semester:

Got CPR certified and spoke with the rescue squad about joining their team.

Got a job as a residential adviser for this summer and next year.

Started a "Pay-it forward" campaign on campus (we circulate green wristbands that read actively caring for people on them to people who demonstrate random acts of kindness). I gave several presentations to lectures of 500 or more in promotion of this movement. Please see the site: activelycaring4people.org

I participated in behavioral research first semester of Fresh year but I wasn't awarded credit because the university disallows Freshmen to receive research credit.

I received a Leadership certificate from the Leadership program on campus.

Completed over 25 hours of community service

I may be taking a position in the student government, which I initially declined because I just didn't have the time.

Dean's list (not sure that really means anything haha)

I understand my science gpa is lacking. But, I will be taking chemistry here this summer and I will do everything to make sure I receive an A in both labs and lectures. This will boost my science to 3.47 and my overall to like a 3.75. I think I was a little to confident in my ability to just study for bio and calc the night before, as I did in highschool, and manage A's. Now, I now that I need to do more work, and also I hvae developed better studying habits. I was wondering if anyone else had a not so perfect start to Fresh year and still got into med?

Well, here is the predicament I am in. I want to do everything on campus: I want to make a difference through the actively caring organization I have started, but I also want to be an EMT, and I also want to be an RA (which I have to to help with the bills), and I also want to have a job, and also do research, and also maintain a 4.0, and also learn the piano, and also play intramural basketball, and also.......... you get the point so I will stop.

I need help figuring out what will be most important for getting me into med. I know that the EMT would give me some more clinical and volunteer and that research always helps, but I am afraid I won't be able to make a difference on campus with this movement I have started. On the other hand, I wonder if my EC's being actively caring 4 people and things of the short might differentiate me from the other apps and make me unique thus giving me an acceptance. There's just so much to do and not enough time in the every day.

Would y'all please give me some advice as to what I should focus on? Because I want to get into med, but I also want to make a difference on campus and be a great RA? Lastly, did any of y'all start of with not so "perfect" grades Fresh year? I didn't make my grades the hugest priority as I was trying to get involved in other things, but now I know that my grades have to come first and so I project I will sustain 3.8+ (hopefully 4.0 but you can never guarantee that) the rest of the semesters I am here.

Thanks for your help and especially for reading this super long post!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO #1 priority: GPA and then ultimately MCAT score. The cGPA is fine, but you already know you need to fix the BCPM GPA. You'll be fine if you get the grades you anticipate.

#2: Clinical experience and shadowing. EMT is fine, but once you are certified after taking courses that will take your time away from college classes, you have to volunteer or be paid to use it, or it won't help you. It might be better to volunteer in a hospital or clinic for 3-4 hours per week for two years instead. Volunteering is a good place to meet doctors and ask if you can shadow. Going with the rescue squad would be shadowing EMTs, unless you are actively doing something to assist the patient's care, but if you are doing this, it would be a good clinical experience that would also get you into the hospital setting.

#3 Community service. This is embedded in clinical volunteering, even if you didn't have it well in hand already.

#4 Research and leadership. Even though your school didn't give you credit, you can claim research experience for what you've done so far. A year is about average for this. About 60% have research on their application. You have a strong leadership experience that you can continue to build on. Being an RA might potentially also be developed into a leadership role, in addition to employment, depending on what you do. I've never had an RA that was a leader, but it's possible. I think that having a place in student government as well is overkill, and would rather see you concentrate on building the pay it forward organization as it is creative, interesting, and does more good than sitting in meetings and possibly having no real impact.

#4 Teaching/mentoring.

#5 Sports/the Arts/ hobbies/etc.