Freshwater and Saltwater Fish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paradigm2200

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was reading the kaplan blue book and it kinda of confused me.. Anyone know the ways that freshwater and saltwater fish osmoregulate...

is it that saltwater fish actively excrete salt across gills and freshwater fish absorb salt thru gills or is it the other way around....because kaplan makes a reference both ways...

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Saltwater fish - live is a very salty water and tend to gain salt and lose water, because in hypertonic solution. To compensate they will lose salt and gain water through their gills.

Freshwater - in hypotonic solution and will gain water and lose salt. so they make up by taking up salt and getting rid of extra water.

howui3 said:
Saltwater fish - live is a very salty water and tend to gain salt and lose water, because in hypertonic solution. To compensate they will lose salt and gain water through their gills.

Freshwater - in hypotonic solution and will gain water and lose salt. so they make up by taking up salt and getting rid of extra water.
yeah...thats what i thought....but kaplan seemed to confuse me...thanks...