• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

Sonyfan08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
BR Physics III # 17: As a mining travel down the rails of a mine, what is true of its relative energies?

Originally, I thought that the PEinitial= PE + KE (at a particular time).. but it turns out that there is friction. Do you always assume that there is friction? Also, it says that "as the cart travels the track, the work down by friction increases." Why does friction increase as you go down the track?

kkentm

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2008
Status
W = Fd so im guessing the book is trying to say the work done over time increases due to the increasing displacement of the cart. Also, i believe on the mcat you generally assume frictionless conditions unless explicitly stated.

Feb 28, 2011
Status
BR Physics III # 17: As a mining travel down the rails of a mine, what is true of its relative energies?

Originally, I thought that the PEinitial= PE + KE (at a particular time).. but it turns out that there is friction. Do you always assume that there is friction? Also, it says that "as the cart travels the track, the work down by friction increases." Why does friction increase as you go down the track?
For some reason, the TBR Physics passages, particularly in the Energy section are poorly worded and missing key information so I would not worry if you got them wrong. The quality of TBR's Chemistry and Orgo are top-notch but for some reason, TBR's Physics passages are filled with typos, errors, and just poorly crafted.

About the Ads