Friday night thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.) Making a story out of a case presentation or disease presentation during rounds sounds much better then only telling the signs or symptoms of a case
For example: Marfans Disease.. one sees long fingers, fibrillin defect, lens problems tall stature, concave chest-boring!
This sounds 10 times better... Marfans disease is a generalized connective tissue disorder. That is inherited as A.D. 60% of these patients have heart abnormalities...(could be made to sound a little dramatic)
I know that many discount communication, not everyone can sound like William Shakespeare but I find that a great presentation keeps me and others awake...Being that Willaim Osler was great friends with poet and writer Walt Whitman I know he could make an awakening presentation..

2)Speaking of Osler.. Here is some trivia..He and at the time future president Willim H. Taft would be given dinner together on the same invite!

3)Also being that Halloween is coming up..It would be plausible to dress up like distinguished, "rennasuance man", scholarly, elegant, debounair, Osler on that day.. (I dont know about the moustach because most guys including myself can not genetically grow that moustach.

Remember its the weekend!!

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Making a story out of a case presentation or disease presentation during rounds sounds much better then only telling the signs or symptoms of a case
For example: Marfans Disease.. one sees long fingers, fibrillin defect, lens problems tall stature, concave chest-boring!
This sounds 10 times better... Marfans disease is a generalized connective tissue disorder. That is inherited as A.D. 60% of these patients have heart abnormalities...(could be made to sound a little dramatic)
I know that many discount communication, not everyone can sound like William Shakespeare but I find that a great presentation keeps me and others awake...Being that Willaim Osler was great friends with poet and writer Walt Whitman I know he could make an awakening presentation..

2)Speaking of Osler.. Here is some trivia..He and at the time future president Willim H. Taft would be given dinner together on the same invite!

3)Also being that Halloween is coming up..It would be plausible to dress up like distinguished, "rennasuance man", scholarly, elegant, debounair, Osler on that day.. (I dont know about the moustach because most guys including myself can not genetically grow that moustach.

Remember its the weekend!!

You could spice it up by using a pirate accent.

"Marrr-fan Syndrome be a CT disorder that be passed on from parent to child. Patients be as loose as the sails on a windless day."

Renaissance.

You could spice it up by using a pirate accent.

"Marrr-fan Syndrome be a CT disorder that be passed on from parent to child. Patients be as loose as the sails on a windless day."

Renaissance.

They dont get it...I agree.. If it works.. It certainly wont put people to sleep! The attendings and those who have rank will remember you!!

Even though its been discounted...I still say communication is a big deal in medicine... And its hard to do properly and at the right time even if you know the language.....Thats why most do not make a story out of a case...Geez, its alway good to sound like a great orator.. (personally I refuse to sound like a girl on rounds/ case presentations..)

Also as far as Marfan goes.. One could say that one parent tried to hide the maladies of a known Autosomal Dominant disease from the other parent..[As I think you may be alluding to...] :thumbup: