Friend has 484 MCAT 2.93 GPA... Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorInVivo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a friend who is in dire need of some advice. He really wants to be a doctor, so please refrain from any harsh comments. He took the MCAT twice. First time he received a 17 and the second time he received a 484. His cGPA is 2.93 with an upward trend. He was previously a criminology major and didn't do too well until he became a pre-med. He's currently doing research at an Ivy and has 2 publications to his name. He's done a bunch of shadowing both domestic and internationally, and he's had multiple roles as a lab assistant at his university. He also has countless hours of volunteer experience. Please help my friend by giving constructive criticism.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO his only chance would be grade replacement + retaking MCAT and KILLING it + boosting EC's in clinical/nonclinical volunteering + applying DO and getting WAY lucky at one of the newer schools... even then with a 17 and 484 his chances are almost dead unless he wants to gamble with going to a Caribbean school but that wouldn't be recommended because with his GPA/MCAT he has a high chance to drop out... I think the best advice for him would be plan B because his EC's that you stated are more researched focus and many DO schools don't place much of an emphasis on research so he would even have to start over with his EC's. Just my 2cents

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to be cruel here, but if he got a 17 and a 484 he....well I can't imagine he was even trying to be honest. It's time to consider other fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I have a friend who is in dire need of some advice. He really wants to be a doctor, so please refrain from any harsh comments...Please help my friend by giving constructive criticism.

Sometimes a person needs harsh comments . Your friend really needs a good Plan B.. He first scored a 17 on the MCAT. Retook it and got a 484, which is roughly a 15 on the old test. His GPA is very low and his ECs are almost nonexistent . He says he wants to be a doctor but he has done absolutely nothing to prove it to anyone. I am hoping you posted this as a joke.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. Just...nope. Different field should be the way to go. Those are 2 scores that you have to try to get..coupled with a 2.xx GPA, it'll be extremely tough. Best case scenario, he gets a few pubs, grade replaces his GPA to 3.3, and retakes the MCAT and gets a 505+. All of those would have to happen to even have a chance at DO, MD is out at this point.

His sGPA is 3.23. He has a lot of ECs which I haven't mentioned. But at this point, I am more concerned about his grades and scores than I am about his ECs.

IMO his only chance would be grade replacement + retaking MCAT and KILLING it + boosting EC's in clinical/nonclinical volunteering + applying DO and getting WAY lucky at one of the newer schools... even then with a 17 and 484 his chances are almost dead unless he wants to gamble with going to a Caribbean school but that wouldn't be recommended because with his GPA/MCAT he has a high chance to drop out... I think the best advice for him would be plan B because his EC's that you stated are more researched focus and many DO schools don't place much of an emphasis on research so he would even have to start over with his EC's. Just my 2cents

What exactly is grade replacement? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with it. And how do you go about doing it?

DO schools allow grade replacement. Whereas MD schools average multiple takes (A and F to 2 Cs), DO schools replace the old grade (F to an A). So it's possible to repair a poor GPA if you focus on correcting your past faults.

What exactly is grade replacement? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with it. And how do you go about doing it?

only DO schools do it. For example, if you get C first try in a class, and an A second try then they only count the A. This is really not of concern tho to your friend because unless they 100% are willing to reinvent themselves they almost have no chance... Were talking a few years before they should attempt to apply..

A lot of his poor grades happened when he was a criminology major at a community college. It doesn't make sense to retake those classes since it would be irrelevant and he ended up getting a bachelors degree in Biology. If he truly wants to reinvent himself then I'm guessing his best bet is to retake some pre-med classes and ace them all, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Do you guys recommend any post bacc programs/special masters programs for people in his position? Can he do one of these programs and reinvent himself that way?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

@Goro is your guy for this, but I would say ya he would have to take all the pre recs and do REALLY well. But his MCATs are really dimming his chances no matter what he gets in classes/MCAT retake..

The lethally poor MCAT results suggest either text taking anxiety issues (which are fixable) or deeper issues which are. For example, did he adequately prepare for the exams? Or is he simply not mastering the material.

As for the GPA, that's also lethal. How upward is the upward trend? Like, all As in the past two years? if so, that's a good thing. One semester of As is encouraging, but not enough.

The fastest path to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/B science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF your friend is boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. He'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

But having a Plan B is also needed at this point.

So, I have a friend who is in dire need of some advice. He really wants to be a doctor, so please refrain from any harsh comments. He took the MCAT twice. First time he received a 17 and the second time he received a 484. His cGPA is 2.93 with an upward trend. He was previously a criminology major and didn't do too well until he became a pre-med. He's currently doing research at an Ivy and has 2 publications to his name. He's done a bunch of shadowing both domestic and internationally, and he's had multiple roles as a lab assistant at his university. He also has countless hours of volunteer experience. Please help my friend by giving constructive criticism.

The lethally poor MCAT results suggest either text taking anxiety issues (which are fixable) or deeper issues which are. For example, did he adequately prepare for the exams? Or is he simply not mastering the material.

As for the GPA, that's also lethal. How upward is the upward trend? Like, all As in the past two years? if so, that's a good thing. One semester of As is encouraging, but not enough.

The fastest path to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/B science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF your friend is boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. He'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

But having a Plan B is also needed at this point.

He received all As his senior year of college, a mixture of A and A-.

I dunno, man, a 17 and 484 with a 2.xx GPA would get screened out in a jiffy by most places, I'd imagine. Even with an upward trend, those stats are a serious red flag. I'd be worried that your friend is simply failing to grasp the science concepts presented and is trying to simply memorize/regurgitate information without a good foundation in the material. Performing solid in some post-bacc program and then demolishing the MCAT would be the only thing I could advise. That said, as a friend, you should take it upon yourself to make sure your friend has at least considered a Plan B or C.