Friend who's very worried? But should she be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend just got back this semesters grade and she's very disappointed and thinks her chances as of getting into medical school is low. She's going crazy.. okay maybe not, but she's very worried. She's a Sophomore at Cornell U.
I'm posting for her to see what you guys think because you guys are more experienced and know these things better than a worried pre med.

So her grades are:
Freshman Year (FALL, SPRING):
Writing seminar: B+ , B+
Bio: B+, A-
Bio Lab: A-. B+
Chemistry: A-, B+
Chinese: A, A
GPA~ 3.59
Sophomore year (FALL)
Organic: A
Physics: A
Psychology: A
Evolution: A-
Anthropology: A
Behavior: B
GPA~ 3.78

She's really worried that the B for Behavior is going to look really bad to med schools..
Her cumulative is 3.68 with science GPA around a 3.58.

What do you guys think? Thank you

(Another question: I got a A in Bio and then a B- (flu + pneumonia on exam week).. how bad is that... some students are saying B- or lower = very low chance of Med school -.- )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My friend just got back this semesters grade and she's very disappointed and thinks her chances as of getting into medical school is low. She's going crazy.. okay maybe not, but she's very worried. She's a Sophomore at Cornell U.
I'm posting for her to see what you guys think because you guys are more experienced and know these things better than a worried pre med.

So her grades are:
GPA~ 3.59
Sophomore year (FALL)
GPA~ 3.78

She's really worried that the B for Behavior is going to look really bad to med schools..

A shade below the average med school matriculant...nothing to dance a jig over, but nothing to hang one's head, either...tell "your friend" to stop making Bs...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think... she has at least another 3 semesters before she applies and that means it's too early to let a B or two freak her out. As is, her grades are fine. And they have improved. Tell her to chill out and not stress. B's will not hurt her as much as she thinks.

So her grades are:
GPA~ 3.59
Sophomore year (FALL)
GPA~ 3.78

She is only a sophomore...tell her to work hard from here on out and get it up to around 3.7 at least.

She also goes to CORNELL which is a damn hard school I imagine...so the Adcoms MAY be slightly forgiving but she still needs to get over a 3.6.

GPA is a big piece of the puzzle but plenty of people have gotten in with GPA's much lower than that due to outstanding MCATs, research, EC's, etc.

Cliffs: Spend more time studying and less time worrying

I think... she has at least another 3 semesters before she applies and that means it's too early to let a B or two freak her out. As is, her grades are fine. And they have improved. Tell her to chill out and not stress. B's will not hurt her as much as she thinks.

Baton Rouge rocks!!

I wish I lived in LA so I could apply to LSU :( My uncle graduated there but I'm pretty sure that won't cut it for me :D

Hah when I was sophomore I had a 3.56
Just kept tough and graduated with a 3.93.

Your friend will be fine a conscious decision to improve is made.

So her grades are:
GPA~ 3.59
Sophomore year (FALL)
GPA~ 3.78

tell her to shut up and chill out or its going to be a long-ass pre-medical ride.

Your friend sounds like she freaks out too much. Rx: Chill Pill

Baton Rouge rocks!!

I wish I lived in LA so I could apply to LSU :( My uncle graduated there but I'm pretty sure that won't cut it for me :D

Haha I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say that BR rocks. It's relatively boring when school's not in session. I mean I am a bit partial to LA itself, but it's not everyday that someone from elsewhere loves it. Why, may I ask, do you love LA so much?

Haha I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say that BR rocks. It's relatively boring when school's not in session. I mean I am a bit partial to LA itself, but it's not everyday that someone from elsewhere loves it. Why, may I ask, do you love LA so much?

Well my family is from Baton Rouge and Lafayette so I've grown to love it...however I only go there during winter. The summers are too hot for a guy who lives in Alaska : )

Members don't see this ad :)
me too, maybe i'll do one with my grades next cause mine's not looking too well either! but too early for me to worry lol. i usually worry at the last minute when its too late -_-

hahahaha..yeah i mean couldnt the OPs "friend" posted on their own as a guest...:D

but anyhoo...not to beat a dead horse:beat:
but they are right..she will be fine..has plenty of time to get more As

Last edited:
lol well why tell her to make an account just to post when i can just do it for her. i know all her grades anyway -.- and its winterbreak and i got nothing to do -_-

but i also had a question about my own grade which i Editted in but i dont know if anyone saw. I got a B- for bio after getting a A the semester before. I think its due to Flu + pneumonia during exam week but that's not really an excuse right.. so do you guys think it will really affect me negatively?

If neither you nor your friend have the ability to figure out if a single B is going to ruin your chances of med school without SDN, I feel incredibly bad for you.

Everything is going to be A-OK.

ps. how do you know your "friends" grades so well? I would be hard pressed to tell you any of my close friends grades from over a year ago, even if I was in all the same classes.

lol well why tell her to make an account just to post when i can just do it for her. i know all her grades anyway -.- and its winterbreak and i got nothing to do -_-

but i also had a question about my own grade which i Editted in but i dont know if anyone saw. I got a B- for bio after getting a A the semester before. I think its due to Flu + pneumonia during exam week but that's not really an excuse right.. so do you guys think it will really affect me negatively?

Like we all said before, one B (or even a B-) never hurt anyone, as long as those A's are there, as well. Stop worrying.

oh
the first thing to friendship is trust lol... it's not like they can change my grades so theres no point in not telling them if they ask..

i mean if people are willing to post their grades here to strangers... why not friends =)

oh
the first thing to friendship is trust lol... it's not like they can change my grades so theres no point in not telling them if they ask..

i mean if people are willing to post their grades here to strangers... why not friends =)

Did you memorize her grades?

GPA~ 3.78

Was Behavior the name of the class, or does Cornell grade its students' actual behavior? If it's the latter, your friend is pretty much screwed. Most successful applicants are very well behaved indeed, with grades of at least A-. Does she at least have an A for Effort?

If people want to post under "their friend" or really just ask for their friend, just let them be.

Last edited:
Another one of these people.... tell her that she fails at life and needs to change her professional goals :laugh:

But seriously tell her to stop tripping.

Just kept tough and graduated with a 3.93

I gotta call BS on this...I am positive that what you are claiming is mathematically impossible...to graduate with a 3.93, you can only have a couple of "sub A" grades, and they better be of the B+ variety - I know this because I graduated with a 3.93, and I know what it takes to have that high of a GPA, and there is no freaking way in the world a sophomore with a 3.56 can raise a GPA to 3.93...

WTF is "editted?" Do you mean "audited?" And if so, how did you get a grade in an audited class? Cuz if you retook an A and got a B-, you are going to never be able to explain that...

My suggestion is to stop being friends with this person.

WTF is "editted?" Do you mean "audited?" And if so, how did you get a grade in an audited class? Cuz if you retook an A and got a B-, you are going to never be able to explain that...

"editted" as in editted the earlier post to add another question...

Dude, I am SO pissed about what happened to konoha. I mean, WTF? How can Pain have so much power? Why didn't they just send in Pain the first time around instead of itachi and kisame? I hope Naruto takes Pain and his w**** sidekick Konan apart.

BTW to the OP, tell your friend to chill and watch some naruto LOLS.

I gotta call BS on this...I am positive that what you are claiming is mathematically impossible...to graduate with a 3.93, you can only have a couple of "sub A" grades, and they better be of the B+ variety - I know this because I graduated with a 3.93, and I know what it takes to have that high of a GPA, and there is no freaking way in the world a sophomore with a 3.56 can raise a GPA to 3.93...

Yeah. if you finished freshman year with a 3.56...the highest you could raise it with 3 years worth of 4.0's is 3.89. If you finished soph. year with a 3.56 the highest you could raise it is 3.78...with two years of 4 points. I feel like a nerd now, Sorry to nitpick. :)

You are posting for your friend on SDN because she is freaking out?

I hope she puts out.

and if you are girl, my response would be the same ;)

but no I think she's good. Depends on what she's aiming for. Application process is kind of a crapshoot anyways so she's never guaranteed to a good school even if she has good grades. On the flip side, a lot of school enjoy seeing improvements in grades throughout the years. So, not necessarily a bad thing for her as long as she blazes her way to graduation.

My friend says she can't tell you until she sees an MCAT score.

No chance, she should fill out an application to work at the Gap.

Just kept tough and graduated with a 3.93.

Dude, that's impossible:

Most people finish 60 credits by the end of their sophomore year, so the number of quality points you earned was (60)(3.56)=213.6.

If you need 120 credits to graduate, and you ace the rest of your classes, the maximum number of quality points you recieved is (60)(4)=240

The maximum GPA you could have achieved was (60)(3.56+4)/120=3.78

lol...maybe your school gives out A+'s?

Dude, that's impossible:

Most people finish 60 credits by the end of their sophomore year, so the number of quality points you earned was (60)(3.56)=213.6.

If you need 120 credits to graduate, and you ace the rest of your classes, the maximum number of quality points you recieved is (60)(4)=240

Woah, are you trying to steal my thunder or something? :smuggrin:

Dude, that's impossible:

Maybe he graduated in more than 4 years. And maybe he took summer classes plus a more full work load during the normal semesters.

Besides, why would someone lie about that? Wouldn't they know their own GPA better than us?

Maybe he graduated in more than 4 years. And maybe he took summer classes plus a more full work load during the normal semesters.

Besides, why would someone lie about that? Wouldn't they know their own GPA better than us?

If someone had a GPA of 3.56@60 credits, the only way they would be able to raise their GPA to 3.93 would be by acing 317 more credits...which is impossible.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything...just trying to show that the GPA he suggested was mathematically impossible.

If someone had a GPA of 3.56@60 credits, the only way they would be able to raise their GPA to 3.93 would be by acing 317 more credits...which is impossible.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything...just trying to show that the GPA he suggested was mathematically impossible.

Hmm... yeah, even with only 48 credit hours, you'd need another 254 hours. Maybe he was part-time for the first two years? Or maybe it's a lie. But seriously, what good does it do to lie on SDN? I'm gonna just believe there's an unintentional typo somewhere in there. Yeah...

AMCAS counts A- as 3.7 but counts A+ as 4.0 EVEN THOUGH my school counts A+ as 4.3!!!! A+'s are only given out when you have 98% wtf...stupid AMCAS! So I have over 4.0 at school but my AMCAS GPA got knocked to 3.95!!

lol don't flame I'm not complaining about my GPA I'm not stupid...just saying how he MIGHT have gotten it that high ;)

I think that there is a real issue on SDN in that a lot of people who lurk here see all the 4.0 or 3.9 people, and freak out from it.

For all of those people who are worried follow these simple rules before posting:
1) If you have nothing lower than a B-, it's not worth posting, as someone will just end up calling you a troll and saying you should go to the Caribbean.
2) If you have one C is a non-science class, do not post, as medical schools will not care, and you will again be sent to the Caribbean by SDN again.
3) If you have one C is an AMCAS science class, do not post, as one grade will NOT break your application. SDN people will again send you to the Caribbean.
4) If you have multiple C's in non-science classes, post if your cumulative GPA is lower than 3.5. Otherwise, you will again be sent to the Caribbean.
5) If you have multiple C's in an AMCAS science courses, do not post unless you have a cumulative GPA under 3.5 or a science GPA under 3.3. If you do, you will be directed to the Caribbean.
6) If you have grades lower than C in non-science courses, and your GPA is under 3.5, post - but only if you can give a valid reason for the grade.
7) If you have grades lower than C in AMCAS science courses, post regardless of GPA, and give reasons for the grade. Be prepared to be told to retake the course and then go to the Caribbean.
8) If you have one W, do not post, as no one cares about one of these.
9) If you have more than one W and a GPA under 3.5, post and include why you dropped the classes. Be prepared for SDNers to say that because you drop too many course you are not med school material.

All of this comes down to one fact. Grades are only a part of what goes into your application. Don't worry about them so much. If you are worried, feel free to post. However, be aware that the answer you are going to receive will most likely include the words "you" "Caribbean" and "terrible applicant".

Last edited:
I think that there is a real issue on SDN in that a lot of people who lurk here see all the 4.0 or 3.9 people, and freak out from it.

For all of those people who are worried follow these simple rules before posting:
1) If you have nothing lower than a B-, it's not worth posting, as someone will just end up calling you a troll and saying you should go to the Caribbean.
2) If you have one C is a non-science class, do not post, as medical schools will not care, and you will again be sent to the Caribbean by SDN again.
3) If you have one C is an AMCAS science class, do not post, as one grade will NOT break your application. SDN people will again send you to the Caribbean.
4) If you have multiple C's in non-science classes, post if your cumulative GPA is lower than 3.5. Otherwise, you will again be sent to the Caribbean.
5) If you have multiple C's in what AMCAS science courses, do not post unless you have a cumulative GPA under 3.5 or a science GPA under 3.3. If you do, you will be directed to the Caribbean.
6) If you have grades lower than C in non-science courses, and your GPA is under 3.5, post - but only if you can give a valid reason for the grade.
7) If you have grades lower than C in AMCAS science courses, post regardless of GPA, and give reasons for the grade. Be prepared to be told to retake the course and then go to the Caribbean.
8) If you have one W, do not post, as no one cares about one of these.
9) If you have more than one W and a GPA under 3.5, post and include why you dropped the classes. Be prepared for SDNers to say that because you drop too many course you are not med school material.

All of this comes down to one fact. Grades are only a minor part of what goes into your application. Don't worry about them so much. If you are worried, feel free to post. However, be aware that the answer you are going to receive will most likely include the words "you" "Caribbean" and "terrible applicant".

I agree with everything except what I put in bold. It's certainly not minor...as every counselor or med school prof I've talked to says GPA counts for at least 25%, MCAT 25%, and EC's/interview 50%. Also realize some schools are more of "numbers" schools..focusing heavily on GPA and MCAT..while other schools look more at EC's and are forgiving on gpa

Overall though very good post!