Friendly Community programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbait

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to apply for general surgery this year, and I am not planning on specializing after. I'm pretty easy going and friendly, but I am also a very hard worker (so I'm not looking to "slack off" and pick an "easy" residency). I was wondering if any one knows of good community programs along the coastal sides (east coast and west coast) that are known for good education and also a good environment to work in. I worked in a university hospital as a med student, and didn't like it because the residents and attendings were asses. Conversely, I worked in a community hospital and really enjoyed working with the folks there. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

check out places like Mayo Jacksonville, baylor dallas..two that are good name and good places to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimberli Cox said:
Christiana in Wilmington Delaware.
i second christiana. it's a great, laid-back, chill, smart hospital. two thumbs up.

Hi there,
New Hanover in Wilmington, NC. On the beach and laid back. Excellent program.
njbmd :)

Thanks for the input! So not so much on the west coast huh? How are the NY programs? I heard some good stuff on staten island and long island.

I will give my standard advice..

New Hanover Regional in Wilmington is a solid choice

Will also mention Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte. Very solid as well although I can't vouch for how laid back it is.

sharkbait said:
Thanks for the input! So not so much on the west coast huh? How are the NY programs? I heard some good stuff on staten island and long island.
I've heard that Santa Barbara Cottage is a great place. I haven't seen it in person though. If you are a fourth year, they do let you take an elective there. Housing is free too.

sharkbait said:

Good luck.

sorry to hijack...but its relevent...

does anybody know anything about the program at seton in Austin,Tx? Their website says they are partnered with St. Joseph's in Houston, but I believe that all of the St. Jo's resident are now moving to Methodist. anybody have info about 1. if there is actually a five year program in austin (can't find one on frieda) and 2. how competitive it is.

thanks

tm

TxMed said:

does anybody know anything about the program at seton in Austin,Tx? Their website says they are partnered with St. Joseph's in Houston, but I believe that all of the St. Jo's resident are now moving to Methodist. anybody have info about 1. if there is actually a five year program in austin (can't find one on frieda) and 2. how competitive it is.

thanks

tm

how about the community program at orlando regional? anyone have any comments?

Does anybody know anything about either INOVA Fairfax or Washington Hospital Center?

sharkbait said:
I worked in a university hospital as a med student, and didn't like it because the residents and attendings were asses.
Pretty much true.

kaos said:
Does anybody know anything about either INOVA Fairfax or Washington Hospital Center?

INOVA Fairfax - suburb of DC. Nice hospital (my nephew was born there); great trauma program (nationally known) but I cannot comment on the friendliness of the residencies there.

Wash Hospital - in the district; facilities aren't as nice; higher indigent population. We receive a lot of applications from Prelims there who aren't offered Categorical positions - just an anecdote; make up your own mind what that says about the program there.

Any one know a thing or two on Oregon Health Sciences gen surg program? I heard the town kicks ass, but don't know anything more than meets the eye on their website. Thanks a lot!

sharkbait said:
Any one know a thing or two on Oregon Health Sciences gen surg program? I heard the town kicks ass, but don't know anything more than meets the eye on their website. Thanks a lot!

I don't know much, but I lived in a call room for a month and hung out with their Gen. Surg. residents when I was off. They were all actually pretty cool. The interns were very, very tired (like anywhere else). Sorry, this probably doesn't help much.

kaos said:

Hi there,
Inova Fairfax is a very strong community program with good faculty support but closer to a university program than community. The residents work very, very hard and the place is extremely busy. Academics are strongly emphasized but faculty is very, very supportive.

Washington Hospital Center is fairly malignant. They take loads of FMGs as prelims and then pit them against each other and the junior categoricals. As a junior categorical you could find your job on the line until you get to mid-level. Faculty support is not as strong as Inova Fairfax and amount of work exceeds them. This program is close to the old pyramid-type where all of the junior residents competed for slots at the next level. If you can thrive under these conditions, then WHC is for you. If you would rather concentrate on your learning as opposed to concentrating on keeping your job, then look elsewhere.

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Inova Fairfax is a very strong community program with good faculty support but closer to a university program than community. The residents work very, very hard and the place is extremely busy. Academics are strongly emphasized but faculty is very, very supportive.

Washington Hospital Center is fairly malignant. They take loads of FMGs as prelims and then pit them against each other and the junior categoricals. As a junior categorical you could find your job on the line until you get to mid-level. Faculty support is not as strong as Inova Fairfax and amount of work exceeds them. This program is close to the old pyramid-type where all of the junior residents competed for slots at the next level. If you can thrive under these conditions, then WHC is for you. If you would rather concentrate on your learning as opposed to concentrating on keeping your job, then look elsewhere.

Thanks for the background info on Wash Hospital Center. As I noted above, at Penn State, every year we got applications from advanced residents who weren't hired for the following year. Usually Prelims but every now and again, Categorical. Your info supports my suspicions about the program.

njbmd said:
Hi there,

Wow. Ok, thanks so much for the input, njbmd and Dr. Cox. It's really helpful. I think I'm looking more for an academic-like community program, which Fairfax sounds like a good example of. I think I'd really enjoy high case load, but at the same time get an academic feel without full-on concentration on research and such. Anybody know of any others?

TxMed said:

thanks

tm

anybody got the 411???...