1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Friends and Family as patients?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by PsyDwannab, Mar 9, 2007.

1. PsyDwannab

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi guys,

Are there problems associated with having patients that are family members, relatives, or friends beside the fact that they won't tell you everything?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WaitingKills

WaitingKills Rockstar
    5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Can I just sum it up with...EVERYTHING is wrong with having your friends and family as your patients.

Don't do it. It's completely unethical and unworkable. Nothing good will come of it.

Best thing to do is refer them to someone who you know would be a good clinician.

3. RayneeDeigh

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'm pretty sure that everyone here would agree with WaitingKills.

It is absolutely a bad idea. Most of the Psychologists I know won't even see clients who are relatives/friends of their previous clients because of the different dynamics involved. Any direct personal connection with a client is unethical.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. paramour

7+ Year Member

Dual relationships big no, no. :smuggrin:

5. RayneeDeigh

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I've always wanted to use that face. Damn you for beating me to it.

6. perfektspace

perfektspace Member
    7+ Year Member

No offense but you must have a good idea this is a big no-no.

edit: lol :). as an aside, why are several of us answering this posting late on a Friday night?

7. RayneeDeigh

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student

Haha that did cross my mind.

My excuse is that I'm working on my data analysis plan assignment, and writing my article summary for my cog psych class.

Also, I'm giggling like a crazy person at this site http://www.psy.pdx.edu/PsiCafe/Just4Fun/Jokes/

8. paramour

7+ Year Member

hehe, I thought the same thing earlier. I actually refrained from answering when it was initially posted because I thought I was the only silly goose without anything better to do. :D

My excuse is similar--took a break from working on my data analysis for the cursed thesis. And now, I have another excuse to procrastinate some more. Woo hoo!

9. GiantSteps

5+ Year Member

Three things (I specifically quoted Paramour for #3):

1. I agree with everyone and would even go farther to remind everyone that by seeing family one might jeapardize a state license to practice.

2. However, I wonder if strict behaviorists would take a different position. Behaviorists view everything as just simply behavior - no internal mechanisms at work. Therefore, as behaviorist would see it, treating a patient is no different than teaching an animal a new behavior since the same priciples are at work. I think a behaviorist would abide by rules against seeing family for professional reasons but not for philosophical/ ethical ones. A behaviorists should logically respond: "If I can't help a family member change his/her bad behavior, then I should also not be able to train my own dog not to bite since there is no difference. What does everyone think of the behaviorist dilemma?

3. Paramour, I have been waiting to throw this quote at you and now that you are in a great mood from your recent acceptance and the general levity of this thread which RayneeDeigh (still waiting for the name change to SunnyDeigh) has added, I finally can. Regarding your constant tag line about procrastination and masturbation (see most posts by Paramour for the whole quote), I write:

"Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love" - Woody Allen

10. RayneeDeigh

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    The behaviourist thing is a very interesting angle that I hadn't thought of before. Now that I think of it, I know quite a few behaviourists who would probably see it the same way.

I think I might decline my acceptance so I can't be SunnyDeigh until next application cycle. :p But really, the name comes from the last song I ever played during my life as a kid musician. lol.

11. 50960

50960 Guest

Behaviorists are the ..............." " fill in the blank of mental health.

12. QPublic

QPublic Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A projective about behaviorists....hehe... :laugh:

13. OP
    OP
    PsyDwannab

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Machinary.
    That is if you're a behaviorist.