1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Friends asking you to diagnose them

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DDSBound, Apr 18, 2007.

1. DDSBound

Dental Student
    What gives here? My friends know I have been accepted to dental school at Penn, but they also know I haven't started yet. Two of my friends and one family member already have asked me why their teeth hurt. One friend from work who is 38 asked me to check out a white spot on the roof of her mouth and asked if it is anything to be concerned about. To take the cake, I was getting my hair cut the other day and the woman cutting it asked what I was doing. I told her about dental school. She said "I have tooth that hurts on the right side of my mouth... but now the left side hurts too. Do you think I have an infection that spread from one side to the other." Then she went on to ask me a question about her ANKLE! Is this common? I have to tell them I'm not qualified to answer that or just laugh it off like they are joking. Anyone else have stories like this?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Non-Student
    Yeah, all the girls around here keep telling me they want me to give them an "oral exam."

I keep telling them I'm not a dentist yet and they look really disappointed and leave, is that normal for anyone else?

4. domonas

domonas Junior Member

Dental Student
    most of my friends joke about how they'll save their expensive dental work for after i'm trained. little do they know i'm gonna charge them full price :D

5. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Told one of my coworkers that I was applying to dental school, and the guy opened his mouth and asked me to check the left side of his gums in the middle of a busy store. I hear it only gets worst.

6. DDSBound

Dental Student
    I offer all the girls oral exams. They don't look disappointed, but they do leave, and now that you mention it, pretty fast. BTW, looking at your avatar I see now it's a cheetah or something. For the longest time, I thought it was Socrates.

7. pmantz

pmantz Member

Dental Student
    I gave a my senior seminar on dental composites, specifically organic-inorganic hybrid resin composites. I talked a little bit about leaching of composites in saliva. A girl I know during the question and answer session, asked me " should I be concerned about using a mouth rinse too much, because I have several composites?"

8. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry

Dental Student
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

oh silly people...thinking they are going to get free care just because they know you

9. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.

Attending Physician
    Everyone is asking me about their teeth now, and I am like ask me again in a few years when I know what I am doing. Its like once you become accepted to dental school you are imparted all of this knowledge just for applying. I wish that was true.

I should tell everyone that I am going to become a proctologist and act like thats its own schooling, just like med and dental school, and see if everyone bends over and starts asking you about their @$$. :laugh: :laugh: