Friends! I need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMW1120

Enjoy the journey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I need some advice. I am currently pursuing medicine and as of right now, I am doing basics at a local community college. I graduated from HS in 2008 and attended a 1 year bible program following that year. In 2009, I returned home and started classes at Lone Star College(cc). Because I registered so late, I ended up only taking 2 classes for the Fall and 3 that spring.

As of right now, I am a bit behind. By Spring 2012, I will have my associates degree and I plan on transferring to University Texas. When I was in HS, I struggled as a student basically because I had no dreams, goals, or visions. On top of that, my mom was diagnosed with leukemia and my sister was battling suicide and alcohol abuse. This all took a toll on my studies so I did not perform very well. College has been a fresh start and I am flourishing. Though I am doing well, I have had to take transitional(remedial) math classes so I have had to put off science courses because certain levels of math are prereqs for the science courses.

Here are my questions:
This upcoming fall, I will be taking Biology I, college algebra, humanities, and anthropology. I was also thinking about taking Chemistry...what do you think?

The core prereqs for medical school are:
1 year of english (completed)
1 year of bio (will be completed by Spring 2012)
1 year of general(inorganic) chem
1 year of organic chem
1 year calculus
1 year of physics

I am trying to show somewhat of a rigorous schedule for my transfer application to UT...but I also realize the vitality of performing well in my science courses.

If I don't take Bio and Chem together, It's going to bite me in the butt later. I will be taking harder courses and I'd probably have to take prereqs together. That would make my schedule unbearable. I also need to have these courses completed in time to prepare for the MCAT.

Not sure what to do...
Any advice, wisdom, knowledge, etc?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

First

Anyways, maintain a full course load but don't overload yourself with 21 units in Curing Cancer 234 and Quantum Time Travel 127. Keeping a high gpa is the goal here so don't unnecessarily kill yourself unit wise just so you can look like an all star. Keep your sGPA high and your uGPA competitive.

And a word of advice...don't let time be a deciding factor. Med school isn't going anywhere.

15 hrs. is reasonable. 18 hrs. can be pushing it depending on what the balance of easy vs. difficult courses is. I would definitely start bio and chem together. Maybe take out the HUM or ANT to give you some more time. I took 12 hrs. my first semester and don't regret it - starting off light is night because it gives you time to develop effective study habits, time management, etc. and you don't get to redo your GPA over again (I mean DO has grade replacement but that shouldn't be a first resort). Don't be afraid to start light and then increase the workload after the first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
21 hours is insane no matter who you are. Go for 17 or 18 max, and definitely not your first semester transferring into a state school. The fall semester you listed seems doable, but only if you have the time to put into schoolwork. I know a lot of my friends have to work and maintain jobs outside of classes, so if you have to financially support yourself, you should definitely factor that into your schedule.

First of all, best of luck!
Glad to hear you are flourishing as of now, and have been able to develop the motivation and goals necessary to put forth the effort - my advice is to first write yourself a letter, list why you want to do these things, then leave it somewhere. You're gonna need that later when you're taking more difficult classes like Organic Chemistry. It will really help you.
Second, make friends. Be willing to depend on others to help you as much as you're willing to help them. It's impossible to make it through college, medical school, and residencies without help. That's how the medical system is set up - it utilizes teamwork to highlight the individuals talents and to make progress as a group. Work with your classmates to make it through those classes and workloads.
As far as the classes, I've taken between 15 and 17 credits per semester since my freshman year. Just because you haven't taken that many doesn't mean your at risk. My cousin didn't know she even wanted to be a doctor till her sophomore year and she ended up going to Georgetown and became the Chief Resident there. Decide if you want to finish in 4 years and go straight into medical school. If you do, I'd recommend maybe taking Orgo over the summer (or maybe physics?).
What's your major? Remember that you don't need to be a biology, chemistry, or biochem major to go to medical school. I'm personally a math major - I just take the requirements necessary to apply. Another friend of mine is an International Relations major. Either way, pick something that interests you and let that be your major!
If you need any help, let me know.
Cheers

Hello friends,

I need some advice. I am currently pursuing medicine and as of right now, I am doing basics at a local community college. I graduated from HS in 2008 and attended a 1 year bible program following that year. In 2009, I returned home and started classes at Lone Star College(cc). Because I registered so late, I ended up only taking 2 classes for the Fall and 3 that spring.

As of right now, I am a bit behind. By Spring 2012, I will have my associates degree and I plan on transferring to University Texas. When I was in HS, I struggled as a student basically because I had no dreams, goals, or visions. On top of that, my mom was diagnosed with leukemia and my sister was battling suicide and alcohol abuse. This all took a toll on my studies so I did not perform very well. College has been a fresh start and I am flourishing. Though I am doing well, I have had to take transitional(remedial) math classes so I have had to put off science courses because certain levels of math are prereqs for the science courses.

Here are my questions:
This upcoming fall, I will be taking Biology I, college algebra, humanities, and anthropology. I was also thinking about taking Chemistry...what do you think?

1 year of organic chem
1 year calculus
1 year of physics

I am trying to show somewhat of a rigorous schedule for my transfer application to UT...but I also realize the vitality of performing well in my science courses.

If I don't take Bio and Chem together, It's going to bite me in the butt later. I will be taking harder courses and I'd probably have to take prereqs together. That would make my schedule unbearable. I also need to have these courses completed in time to prepare for the MCAT.

Not sure what to do...

Taking the courses for your upcoming semester is doable for sure.

Taking bio and chem is not bad at all. As of right now I'm doing it and almost finishing up this semester. They sorta of coincide with each other and biology is mainly memorization while on the other hand chem is more problem solving.
I'm making A's in both, it's fairly easy. As for your other classes they should also be a piece of cake.

I actually suggest taking bio and chem simultaneously.

Hey all! Thank you for all of your help, advice, and encouragement. I appreciate your responses more than you know! Not only is it supportive and informative, but it is such a strength to me personally!

Best of luck to all of you!

CMW

Hello friends,

Here are my questions:

1 year of organic chem
1 year calculus
1 year of physics

Not sure what to do...

Build up your schedule from easy----> hard
My first semester of college I took Gen chem I, College Algebra, History, and English
then I found that to be easy so I stepped it up a notch and took
Gen chem II, Trig, Gen bio I, and english II my second semester.
I would say it is best to take 16-17 credits per semester with not more than 2-3 labs and medical school prereqs.

good luck in college.