Friends in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

How close do you all get with your class in dental school? I've heard many things varying with how close you get with your peers. An OMFS told me that his and his old friends' wives will go on vacations without them still to this day, some told me they never talk to their classmates anymore, and so on. How is it really? I know it varies, but are you going to bars with, having super bowl parties with, etc. with your classmates, or is it not to that extent? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I think your friend group changes year after year, and finally, at year 4, you have your close group of friends you are supposed to have.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more of a loner type of person. I just can't stand cliques so I gave up trying to fit in a specific group. But I do keep a few good friends and am on friendly terms with most of my classmates and upperclassmen. I don't plan on making lifelong friends out of my classmates lol (it's just dental school reveals a lot of who you are under stress and I'd rather run the opposite direction if you know how some of these classmates are). Plus, I'm going into the military after, no love loss there lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm more of a loner type of person. I just can't stand cliques so I gave up trying to fit in a specific group. But I do keep a few good friends and am on friendly terms with most of my classmates and upperclassmen. I don't plan on making lifelong friends out of my classmates lol (it's just dental school reveals a lot of who you are under stress and I'd rather run the opposite direction if you know how some of these classmates are). Plus, I'm going into the military after, no love loss there lol.

This is the saddest view of school I have ever heard.

You will definitely be doing all those things with your classmates.

Reactions: 2 users

in·tro·vert
ˈintrəˌvərt/
noun
  1. 1.
    a shy, reticent person.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Introverts still like people, they just need to recharge after socializing.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Introverts still like people, they just need to recharge after socializing.
And who are you to claim as an expert in personalities? Just like anything else, there are many forms of introvertism.

I am a moderate introvert who doesn't recharge; I use to club in dental school to get out of dental school mindset, but hated socializing with my classmates (still do). Most of them had high school persona, giggling over everything and immature. I also didn't like get togethes with friends and family, the idea itself terrifies me initially until I talk myself out of it. But I love going to large crowd events (I went to the France World Cup soccer games, Tiesto and other large music events) and followed my local hockey team at their grounds. I usually turn down invitations by other dentists to join them at CE courses, I don't attended large dental conferences either. I take my CE courses online when I renew my dental license. I need something I can really focus on more than the people around me to be outside my bubble.

I can keep going with more examples, but I am self-diagnosed "generalized" moderate introvert. Open your eyes to all shades of personalities, for your sake and your patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Do you remember high school? Yeah, it's a lot like that.

Reactions: 7 users
I will say this: you may not 'plan' on making good friends in dental school, but it may happen nonetheless, since good friends are always unplanned. The only way you won't make friends in school is if you actively try not to.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you remember high school? Yeah, it's a lot like that.
Totally agree LOL. It depends on your class. For our class, people form small groups just like in high school.

Reactions: 1 user
make friends with people who are outside your class (other grad students, mallrats, the pizza delivery guy), outgun everyone, and wear a cape to class

there will be an air of dark secrecy about you. you won't be bothered by your classmates and will achieve academic greatness while the urban legend of the caped one slowly evolves.

Reactions: 7 users
I made some great friends in dental school. I consider several to be like "old war buddys", as if we went through hell and back together. I don't practice near any of them, they are all in other states, but I still consider some of them lifelong friends and colleagues.