Friends in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoWork91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum first

Hey dental students, here's a question that's been on my mind for a while. Do you make good friends with people in dental school? Like in undergrad and high school, you generally make a few friends that you call your best friends for life. Is dental school the same way? Do you tend to make a lot of really great close friends or are people just always doing their own thing? Do dental students hang out together a lot outside of school?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, yes! It's unique because you're in the same boat and have this huge thing going on in life together (romantic, right?). Sort of family-like. There are guys I know that I'll stay in contact with forever, and I'm probably the least social person in class. Sometimes when school sucks, they make it more bearable. School, class size, and your own outgoing'ness play a factor. Maybe some people out there hate it. That would kind of suck.

From my experience, yes! It's unique because you're in the same boat and have this huge thing going on in life together (romantic, right?). Sort of family-like. There are guys I know that I'll stay in contact with forever, and I'm probably the least social person in class. Sometimes when school sucks, they make it more bearable. School, class size, and your own outgoing'ness play a factor. Maybe some people out there hate it. That would kind of suck.

That's really great to hear. It would suck to go through 4 years at a place and not come out with some life long best friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to not make friends. You're stuck in the same room with the same people for 40+ hours a week.

I am not the most social person. I mean , I literally did not make a single friend in undergrad. Just went to class then went home. In the short time I've been in school, I think have made pretty close relationships with a lot of people in my class. You are practically forced to make friends.

Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum first

Hey dental students, here's a question that's been on my mind for a while. Do you make good friends with people in dental school? Like in undergrad and high school, you generally make a few friends that you call your best friends for life. Is dental school the same way? Do you tend to make a lot of really great close friends or are people just always doing their own thing? Do dental students hang out together a lot outside of school?

It all depends. My class is class knit and there is a subgroup for every type of people. The class behind me feels like a high school and Housewives of blah blah.

I actually think it is very hard to make real friends in dental school.. I did my own thing mostly because I found dental school to be a very juvenile place with a lot of dramatic people, kind of like a reality show. Because of classes, labs, and whatnot, you really end up spending too much time with them and it gets sickening after a while (at least to me) from the rumors, gossiping, backstabbing, cheating, etc. Sure, you can make 'friends' in there, but I have definitely seen a lot of these end up turning on each other for all kinds of reasons and end up hating each other. I think it's better to explore the outside world on your own and carve your niche there; if your social life has to rely on your dental school people, its probably too narrow.

Just my 2 pennies.

I actually think it is very hard to make real friends in dental school.. I did my own thing mostly because I found dental school to be a very juvenile place with a lot of dramatic people, kind of like a reality show. Because of classes, labs, and whatnot, you really end up spending too much time with them and it gets sickening after a while (at least to me) from the rumors, gossiping, backstabbing, cheating, etc. Sure, you can make 'friends' in there, but I have definitely seen a lot of these end up turning on each other for all kinds of reasons and end up hating each other. I think it's better to explore the outside world on your own and carve your niche there; if your social life has to rely on your dental school people, its probably too narrow.

Just my 2 pennies.

Gosh, I really hope that's class-dependent.

So far, I have found some amazing friends in dental school. This might be specific to my school but our class meshes together & gets along extremely well, and it's only been 1.5 semesters! I know some other schools have drama, clique issues, etc., but I wouldn't say the majority are like that. You just gotta be open to meeting an entirely new group of people (I didn't know a single person in the state I moved to), and willing to go out and partake in activities (we've done camping trips, sporting events, potlucks, and more) and you will make some great friends! And lord knows you'll be needing some great friends when you're pulling your hair out at times :p

Just my 2 pennies.

This is exactly my experience as well.
Way too much drama and immaturity for me. There are several people I like being with (and it keeps me sane), but I don't care for most others.

So far, I have found some amazing friends in dental school. This might be specific to my school but our class meshes together & gets along extremely well, and it's only been 1.5 semesters! I know some other schools have drama, clique issues, etc., but I wouldn't say the majority are like that. You just gotta be open to meeting an entirely new group of people (I didn't know a single person in the state I moved to), and willing to go out and partake in activities (we've done camping trips, sporting events, potlucks, and more) and you will make some great friends! And lord knows you'll be needing some great friends when you're pulling your hair out at times :p

That's the thing, you have only been through 1.5 semesters. That's just about when the novelty wears off and the enmity begins. I hope you guys feel the same way in your 4th year.

That's the thing, you have only been through 1.5 semesters. That's just about when the novelty wears off and the enmity begins. I hope you guys feel the same way in your 4th year.

LOL... that's exactly what I was thinking.. wait till 3rd year when you see patients and classmates need requirements fulfilled, when they want help but don't return the favor, people act very selfish.... There are people in my class that drive me insane, and ones that drive everyone insane.. The people in your class with an agenda will surface. trust me.

LOL... that's exactly what I was thinking.. wait till 3rd year when you see patients and classmates need requirements fulfilled, when they want help but don't return the favor, people act very selfish.... There are people in my class that drive me insane, and ones that drive everyone insane.. The people in your class with an agenda will surface. trust me.

A particularly annoying antic I've seen among classmates is how certain females always think they are hot and try to use this as a leverage to get their male classmates or (especially) upperclassmen to help them, with lab work particularly. Zero integrity and sickening display of low class behavior.