jram2323

5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm a s
Throughout c
Guess I'm just ranting henced the same thing?

i

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

Sorcerer Supreme
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2012
177A Bleecker Street, New York City, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Med school is pretty much like high school and college all over again. You all mingle and find a new group of friends to hang out with. Alcohol helps. I have literally one friend that I keep in touch with from high school and a couple from college.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2011
Port Au Prince
Med school is more like H.S. than college since you take all the same classes with the same people every day. Often times clicks form after the first few months (jocks, popular girls, hipsters, bros, nontrads, MSTP, etc…). At the same time everyone is older and more mature so many students develop a pretty diverse set of friends based on common interests. During rotations you may spend hundreds of hrs with the same small group of classmates which gives you the chance to make many close friends.

Apr 24, 2012
Missouri
Status
Medical Student
I agree with the above. Medical schools have smaller class sizes so the social structure is much more like that of high school than college. You will probably form your strongest relationships in the first few weeks, but you will have many times where you will do presentations, group interactions, volunteering, etc. where you meet all of your classmates and form new friends as time goes on. You would probably have to try in order not to make some good friends... after all, everyone in medical school is going to be on par with your intelligence, are also over-achievers, and we all have the same problem - we study 24/7 and have little time for much else.

TheWeeIceMan

And like that... *poof*... he's gone.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Just wait until your friends start getting married and having kids....

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
There are relatively few people from high school I still interact with... My rather small group of friends got smaller, so now I really only speak to about two of them. I have more friends that I keep in touch with from college, but my closest friends are those I didn't go to college with, but met during that time. I have a nice close group of friends in med school, in different cliques, and I'd like to think that I'll keep in touch with most of them after med school, but who knows.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Just wait until your friends start getting married and having kids....
This. Probably about 70% of people Im friends with in med school and college tied the knot and/or has a baby or two.

katiemaude

7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Medical Student
This is a part of life. I keep in close touch with my closest two friends from high school, two from college, and have Facebook-level interactions with the others. I made a core group of 15 good friends after college and in 10 years, about five have drifted down to sporadic email contact since they moved away, gotten married and/or had kids. I imagine that will continue, and I'm looking forward to making new friends, even the process will no doubt repeat itself again.

OP
jram2323

jram2323

5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
ir(s) soprefer to wait until late twe

Last edited:

swolebrah

sup
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
First thing In med school , gonna go the big guyest in the class and be like "u aweir brah?"

touchpause13

nolite te bastardes carborundorum
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2012
The North
The whole "med school is like high school" thing scares the bejesus out of me. I was painfully unpopular in high school, those were easily the worst years of my life.

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
The whole "med school is like high school" thing scares the bejesus out of me. I was painfully unpopular in high school, those were easily the worst years of my life.
Maybe it was the "fez." Jk. But hey you are going to medical school, now. Winning! :thumbup:

Reactions: touchpause13

The Buff OP

-lll-------lll-
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Arizona
I'm a senior in college now and find that my friends from high school have just dwindled away. This was very strange to me since many of us grew up together. It started at maybe 10-12 close people at graduation and now it's down to 1-2 who I interact with rarely anyways.
That's life, bro. Guess how many people I keep in contact with from HS? Zero. The good ones left to other colleges and the bad ones are now lowlifes and I don't want to interact with.

PreMedOrDead

I'm sure you'll get in...
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2012
A dark, dark cave
Status
There is a slight difference in maturity and intellectual level when comparing HS and MS.

Also, am I the only person who read

Friends in high school, college, and med school?
And instantly thought of