1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Friends or Family for LOR's

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dradams, May 7, 2004.

1. dradams

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Would it be appropriate to use someone who is a friend or a friend of the family for a LOR if that friend is a doctor? Or are friends and family a no-no for LOR's?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. skiz knot

skiz knot Legendary Dr. X
    10+ Year Member

You can use them if they are physicians, and you have worked with/shadowed them in a clinical/research setting.

You are still going to have to find 3 academic LOR's.

4. dfleis

10+ Year Member

#3 dfleis, May 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  5. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    OP-

1) If it's a friend of the family, and he/she can give you a good, objective LOR, go for it. If the person doesn't know you and is doing your pops a favor, it might not look so good.
    2) Immediate family is a no-no, at least in the business world. The veracity, sincerity, and objectivity is questionable.

dc

6. dradams

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Damn! I was counting on my Mom for that letter.

Actually the person I was referring to is a friend of the family. I'm a nontrad applicant and the academic letters are going to be basically nonexistent (maybe one from someone whom I can still contact). In my situation I'm going to have more letters from physicians than professors.

7. gdk

gdk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    quote:
    My mom said she'd write me a big fat letter of recommendation. She'll tell them what a good boy I am, and how I'm probably the smartest person in the world..

oh man, that reminds me.... I need to add "Worlds Greatest Graduate" to my list of awards in my AMCAS. It was great. My mom put up a big banner at graduation, I got a plaque, framed certificate, T-shirt, coffee cup, the works!