BiggMann79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
Forget physiology, it's neuroscience that I hate. I have a test tomorrow covering the the brain stem, auditory system, visual system, vestibular system, and neuromuscular diseases and I think I'm screwed. Oh well, 23 1/2 hours until test time, it can be done. Any advice on how to learn this stuff quick? I'd really like to maintain my A in this class, but have a feeling I'm going to get like a 30% on the test!

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Palookaville
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Bring along a nice bottle of lube. Oh, and make sure it's really cheap lube, that way you won't get screwed twice. I hated both physio and neuro, and I could never tell what the hell I was supposed to know for each exam. The emphasis seemed to change on a daily basis, even for the same prof!

I know I'm not helping, but it's just a rotten deal overall, and I don't think there's anything that'll make it any easier. Neuro stinks. :thumbdown:

Good luck.

omarsaleh66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
temecula ca
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
dont waste time reading big text books. Now u can learn all the high yield stuff w review books. The BRS, High yield, Neuro Made Ridiculosly Simple, and First Aid will give u some of the most high yield info!

These are the only books i use along with scribes

peace

Omar

About the Ads

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2004
Metropolis
Status (Visible)
If you are really feeling inconfident in your neuro skills with less then 24 hrs to go before your test, I'd reccomend that you focus on memorizing mneumonics and word associations. If your test is on cranial nerve anatomy, be sure to break down their locations into numbers and just memorize the numbers. They are numbered that way because they go roughly top to bottom in the brainstem.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
maddox.xmission.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i was having lots of trouble with the brainstem too, so heres what i did:

start off by memorizing the ventricular system. you should be able to draw it, sagitally, from scratch: 4th vent, cerebral aq, 3rd vent, IVF, lateral vent (with all its horns). this gives you a foundation to work with.

now, draw the brainstem around it. medulla only goes up 1/2 the 4th vent, pons the top half of the 4th vent, midbrain on either side of the cerebral aq, and diencephalon (thal + hypothal) at the 3rd ventricle. this should give you a saggital section right down the center of the CNS.

now mark where all your cranial nerves are emerging from. start with V coming outta the middle of the pons for reference, and remember that they emerge according to their number: III above IV above V above VI, etc. that at least gives you a basis for lesion-level detectors, and serves to set up what general regions youre going to find cranial nerve nuclei in the cross sections. ie, you can probably tell your basic cross sections from one another; now use this pic to narrow down the likely nuclei youre bound to find.

that should at least get you started relatively easy, you should be able to get this down in about an hour.

dermatome S5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2002
Status (Visible)
I don't know if it is on your exam or not---but when I was in neuro-friggin-science I had some kind of mental block trying to learn the nuclei of the thalamus. I have decided it is not for me to learn, and every time I see the word thalamus I immediately have an absence seizure until the word is cleared from my view.

souljah1

Attending
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2002
Originally posted by dermatome S5
I don't know if it is on your exam or not---but when I was in neuro-friggin-science I had some kind of mental block trying to learn the nuclei of the thalamus. I have decided it is not for me to learn, and every time I see the word thalamus I immediately have an absence seizure until the word is cleared from my view.

lol !!! i can relate to that.

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2001
West of the Haight
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
We had this really crappy Neuroanatomy prof who would go over the structures with us and call them stupid names. For instance, he called the arachnoid granulations "popcorn" and the extreme capsule the "loopdy-loop", etc. Too bad he never explained what the hell anything did. We could also never figure out why they let him teach that class since he is a fertility doc. Holy god our class is screwed come the boards.

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Palookaville
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Originally posted by UCSFFreak
We had this really crappy Neuroanatomy prof who would go over the structures with us and call them stupid names. For instance, he called the arachnoid granulations "popcorn" and the extreme capsule the "loopdy-loop", etc. Too bad he never explained what the hell anything did. We could also never figure out why they let him teach that class since he is a fertility doc. Holy god our class is screwed come the boards.

We had a prof who referred to the smaller things as "fiddly bits", and that made me smirk. It was about the only positive thing that took place in that course for 5 months.

BiggMann79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
Ouch!!!!

Should I use Preparation H or Tuck's medicated pads to sooth my butthole from the anal raping I just took?

If my 2/3 rule holds true (I usually get right 2/3 of what I'm not 100% sure about) then I will be O.K., but if not this test just seriously dropped my grade.

Why am I even posting this? Spring break just started an hour ago:clap: :clap: :clap:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.