From ASH: No benefit to XRT after RCHOP in Stage I-II DLBCL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.ashclinicalnews.org/news/radiotherapy-necessary-treating-dlbcl-r-chop/

This was a non-inferiority trial for non-bulky Stage I-II DLBCL treated with RCHOP +/- XRT. No statistically significant difference in overall survival at 5 years.

Several issues come to mind:

1. Not even the most vigorous defender of radiation in DLBCL would suggest that XRT represents an 8% OS advantage relative to R-CHOP alone.
2. Why 40 Gy? 30 Gy should be sufficient for non-bulky disease?
3. How was XRT delivered? 2D? 3D?

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
4-6 cycles in the trial. Generally I've seen 3 cycles and then refer for xrt consolidation or 6 cycles no xrt.

Good to see a randomized trial in the post rituxan era, although personally I want to see a trial with 3 cycles + RT vs 6 cycles alone.

I think results should be taken at their face value. No role for XRT in this situation. That has been the practice of HemOnc's working with me, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
4-6 cycles in the trial. Generally I've seen 3 cycles and then refer for xrt consolidation or 6 cycles no xrt.

Good to see a randomized trial in the post rituxan era, although personally I want to see a trial with 3 cycles + RT vs 6 cycles alone.

The problem is that there is no prospective way (to my knowledge) that they came up with three cycles. I guess they figured abbreviated chemo was ok if you are getting consolidative XRT - a la Hodgkin's lymphoma.

The problem is that there is no prospective way (to my knowledge) that they came up with three cycles. I guess they figured abbreviated chemo was ok if you are getting consolidative XRT - a la Hodgkin's lymphoma.
That's my guess as well, although the SWOG study did have 3 cycles+xrt as one of its arms.

The problem is this trial doesn't address those older, poorer PS patients who might actually only be able to tolerate 3 cycles of chop-R. The trial, written by medical oncologists, talks about avoiding xrt toxicity and gives a free pass to the toxicity of 6 cycles of chop-R.

I see the same thing in HL where med onc will give more chemo to try and replace xrt

"After a median follow-up of 64 months (range = 24-132 months), the five-year event-free survival (EFS; primary endpoint) was not statistically significant different between the two treatment arms: 89±2.9% for R-CHOP alone and 92±2.4% for R-CHOP plus RT (hazard ratio
= 0.61; 95% CI 0.3-1.2; p=0.18).

Five-year overall survival (OS; secondary endpoint) also was similar between the groups: 92±2.5% versus 96±1.7% (HR=0.62; 95% CI 0.3-1.5; p=0.28). (The study was powered to detect differences in OS to an upper limit of 8%.)"

Trending towards significance in both groups. expecting a 8% OS difference expectation for radiation with more R-CHOP than normal in the RT setting isn't realistic.

Grade 3 mucositis and osteoradionecrosis from 40Gy? How were these patients planned?

Hematologists will continue to deride the ills of RT even when it works really well, in the era of ISRT, with IMRT and 4D techniques to spare normal tissue.

"After a median follow-up of 64 months (range = 24-132 months), the five-year event-free survival (EFS; primary endpoint) was not statistically significant different between the two treatment arms: 89±2.9% for R-CHOP alone and 92±2.4% for R-CHOP plus RT (hazard ratio
= 0.61; 95% CI 0.3-1.2; p=0.18).

Five-year overall survival (OS; secondary endpoint) also was similar between the groups: 92±2.5% versus 96±1.7% (HR=0.62; 95% CI 0.3-1.5; p=0.28). (The study was powered to detect differences in OS to an upper limit of 8%.)"

Trending towards significance in both groups. expecting a 8% OS difference expectation for radiation with more R-CHOP than normal in the RT setting isn't realistic.

Grade 3 mucositis and osteoradionecrosis from 40Gy? How were these patients planned?

Hematologists will continue to deride the ills of RT even when it works really well, in the era of ISRT, with IMRT and 4D techniques to spare normal tissue.

HR is 0.61 EFS or 0.62 OS; sounds like an NI study with a ridiculously large non-inferiority margin (8% absolute difference?). Imagine a superiority study with a "molecular target agent" added to RCHOP resulted in HR like 0.61 well then we would be talking blockbuster.

HR is 0.61 EFS or 0.62 OS; sounds like an NI study with a ridiculously large non-inferiority margin (8% absolute difference?). Imagine a superiority study with a "molecular target agent" added to RCHOP resulted in HR like 0.61 well then we would be talking blockbuster.
agreed- Also, duke had data at astro that 20 Gy is sufficient.

Drawing conclusions on OS based on 12 vs. 9 patients dying is ridiculous...

Yes salvage is effective, so PFS is the best metric for this disease.

I guess I always assumed you could get less chemo+XRT or more chemo without XRT with roughly even results.

More chemo+XRT appears to be slightly better than more chemo alone, but not 8% better (strangely high, arbitrary number). I personally never would have hypothesized that it would be 10% better or something. Why it would have to be that much better is beyond me. The overall survival advantage of Herceptin in HER2+ breast patients is ~8%, but you'd be sued and drawn/quartered if you omitted that therapy. In this trial, 8% is the necessary hurdle to clear to even consider XRT? Weird.

I read this press release, and then moved on with life.

Slightly off-topic, but I've seen bone invasion (vertebra, skull) being used as consolidative XRT indication for DLBCL, regardless of chemo amount or rapidity of PET response. Are there any good data?

"More chemo+XRT appears to be slightly better than more chemo alone, but not 8% better (strangely high, arbitrary number). I personally never would have hypothesized that it would be 10% better or something. Why it would have to be that much better is beyond me. The overall survival advantage of Herceptin in HER2+ breast patients is ~8%, but you'd be sued and drawn/quartered if you omitted that therapy. In this trial, 8% is the necessary hurdle to clear to even consider XRT? Weird."

5% events - 300,000

Editor or Editors: RICHARD T. HOPPE, M.D., FACR, FASTRO
Topic | SubTopic: Lymphoma / Leukemia | Adult Hodgkin's Disease
Article: Connors JM1, et al. ,Brentuximab Vedotin with Chemotherapy for Stage III or IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Longo DL1, et al. ,Progress in the Treatment of Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
The ECHELON-1 Trial was a pharma-sponsored trial testing the inclusion of brentuximab vedotin (an anti-CD30 drug conjugate) in an AVD backbone (ABVD minus bleomycin, because of potential pulmonary toxicity). So the trial was ABVD vs. BV-AVD. It included stage III-IV disease only. The primary end-point was “modified progression-free survival” (the time to progression, death, or non-complete response and use of subsequent anticancer therapy). So, if a patient had residual abnormality on a PET scan following treatment and the decision was made to consolidate with RT, this qualified as an event, even if the patient was subsequently progression-free.

The modified PFS at 2 years was 82% and 77%, for BV-AVD and ABVD, respectively, p=0.03. The 2-year OS rates were 97% and 95% (p=0.19). There were 18 deaths in the BV-AVD group (2.7%) and 22 on the ABVD group (3.2%). During treatment there were 9 deaths in the BV-AVD group, 7 due to neutropenia and infectious complications. 11 of 13 deaths in the ABVD group were from pulmonary toxicity.

The authors state, in conclusion that BV-AVD “appears to be more effective for the frontline treatment of advanced-stage classic Hodgkin’s lymphoma.”

In the accompanying editorial by Longo and DeVita, they praise this “advance,” stating that “the addition of brentuximab vedotin to AVD combination chemotherapy (supported with G-CSF to alleviate myelotoxicity) merits consideration as first-line treatment for advanced Hodgkin’s lymphoma.” At the same time, they manage to get in 2 “digs” against the use of RT in Hodgkin lymphoma, although RT was never an issue in this trial!

Some points to consider:
• The primary end-point has been challenged (modified PFS) as being appropriate.
• There are no survival differences. In trials of ABVD vs. ABVD + RT in early stage HL, PFS differences of 7% with the addition of RT (RAPID Trial) were considered inconsequential in the absence of an overall survival benefit!
• Patients who have an interim PET negative scan no longer have bleomycin included in cycles 3-6 (RATHL Trial), so in actual practice pulmonary toxicity and pulmonary deaths would be less for ABVD than was experienced in this trial.
• A conclusion of this trial is that growth factors should be employed with BV-AVD, but not needed with ABVD.
• Economic analysis. It’s promised. In an educational session at ASH the day prior to the presentation of these data and the publication in the NEJM, Nancy Bartlett, one of the co-authors presented an economic analysis. Cost of treatment with BV-AVD (including growth factors): $300,000. Cost of treatment with ABVD (growth factors not required): $4,000!
• Will this be practice changing? Will BV-AVD be accepted as standard? Hard to say at this point. This may be suitable for selected patients who are older and have existing pulmonary compromise. Marketing is likely to have an impact.