SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

From australia to USA?

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by Soroushk19, Jun 14, 2008.

  1. Soroushk19


    Jun 14, 2008
    Im a dentistry student from Melbourne, Australia and was considering moving to america after graduation.

    in Australia dentistry is an undergraduate 5 year course and the degree provides us with the ability to practice dentistry in Australia and the UK however im unsure as to whether it would allow us to do so in the USA... i have already noticed that some American students go to 'pre-dent' school before dentistry and it all seems a bit confusing.

    for this reason i was wondering if anyone could specify any details on whether an Australian dentist can move to and work in America as well? or are there extra requirements that may be needed aside from an external exam (eg. more training since you guys seem to be going to university much longer)?

    Please explain. Thnx :p
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ldsmbhc

    ldsmbhc 2+ Year Member

    Dec 30, 2006
    Because my wife is from Australia, I had my pre-professional advisor find out the requirements. He received an email from "the highest authority" telling him in essence that you have to go through dental school again if you want to practice in the states. This was three or four years ago so things might have changed since then (someone speak up if they have). I can contact the advisor that I was working with to find out which person he was talking with. Let me know.
  4. NileBDS

    NileBDS SDNator Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Jan 9, 2006
    You'll find all the answers you need on the International Dental threads.

    But yeah ... basically you need to take NBDE (national boards) I and II, evaluate your transcripts, a bunch of other stuff and go back to school for 2-3 years and graduate with a DMD/DDS regardless of what your school calls its degree.

    You can apply for licensure in many states following completion of a 2-4 year ADA accredited residency (AEGD, GPR, recognized specialties), but I personally found all that (while it may be true), to be a much longer, tedious and uncertain path.

    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. BioMaxDDS

    BioMaxDDS It will come true 5+ Year Member

    Jul 29, 2006
    I think if you are dentist already in a foreign country, then you'll just have to go through 2 years of advanced placement program (D3 and D4).
    I'm not sure if this is completely true or not, I heard this from a person I interviewed with couple months ago.
  6. aphistis

    aphistis Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Feb 15, 2003
    hSDN Member
    Moving to International.
  7. Dr.Millisevert

    Dr.Millisevert Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Aug 4, 2004
    Sydney's dental faculty is currently applying for US and Canadian accreditation. You should check with your Dean and Admin to see if Melb is also going through with a CODA application as well and if so, how far along they are with it. Sydney is having their first site visit in a year or so... and are aiming to be fully accredited in the US/Canada by around 2011-2012. :thumbup:

    This probably won't apply to you.... it depends on melb applying for north american accreditation and whether or not you will graduate after the date of CODA certification.

    At the moment... you have a few options:
    1. redo your last 2 years of dental school in a US or Canadian program.
    2. complete a US/Canadian accredited specialty program
    3. complete 2 years of GPR or AEGD (general dental residency programs)

    I personally know a handful of sydney grads who have taken option 3 and are now working in the states. If you want to practice general dentistry in the US or Canada.. I would probably take this route. (you don't have to pay tuition usually, you get to progress with your education i.e.: implants, complex restorative, minor oral surg, sedation, etc.. as opposed to spending 2 more years and an extra $150k+ to redo things you've already learned at Melbourne.)

    You're choice though... You should contact some of the current North American students at Melbourne Uni and ask them for guidance.

    Just out of curiosity.. what year are you in? Are you a local student, international student, or are you a foreign dentist with advance standing?

    Not entirely true. Sydney's dental program is a 4 year graduate entry program and identical to US and Canadian programs. Melbourne's program will be too in 2010.

    Also, as of 2001 (when the UK joined the EU).. Australian dental grads (post 2001 grads) are not allowed to work in the UK (in private practice at least). We are treated as foreign grads there now as well and have to write more exams and possibly a bridging course.

    The UK has in turn (since 2001) made it easier for eastern european countries (EU members) to become licensed in the UK.

    This is also what you have to do at the University of Sydney's dental program (since 2000-2001) and will also be a requirement at Melb Uni in 2 years as well.. I'm actually surprised you're not aware of it.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  8. gottago

    gottago 2+ Year Member

    Mar 10, 2007
  9. chaka


    Apr 4, 2008
    Lol, soroushk studies at Latrobe uni, not melbourne uni. Latrobe has a 5 year course duration. Also, unlike other Australian universities, the students in latrobe receive a masters degree with the bachelor in 5 years.
    Soroush dont leave us!
  10. DrGrimm

    DrGrimm Dr. Gary Grimm

    Oct 19, 2008
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Hey, I just wanted to tell some of you Australian Trained dentists that you can indeed work in the USA after doing some more post grad work!
    I went to dental school at the University of Sydney!
    You can look at my practice website

Share This Page