From b.s in hygiene to pre dent..suggestions??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Realax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enrolled in the B.S. dental hygiene program at wcc in southern California and was curious if it was a good idea to finish this program and continue on to pre dent. The program includes all the GE and pre reqs i would need to get my bachelors in hygiene. But my plan has always been to move past this point...any recommendations or pointers would be much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently enrolled in the B.S. dental hygiene program at wcc in southern California and was curious if it was a good idea to finish this program and continue on to pre dent. The program includes all the GE and pre reqs i would need to get my bachelors in hygiene. But my plan has always been to move past this point...any recommendations or pointers would be much appreciated

IMO, I think it would be utterly pointless to finish your BS in dental hygiene then immediately start your pre-dent prereqs. Don't get me wrong, I think RDH--> DDS can be very rewarding, but without working for a few years in between, I see it as a waste of time and money.

Why not just go into your predental education now and skip all the B.S. (in dental hygiene)

IMO, I think it would be utterly pointless to finish your BS in dental hygiene then immediately start your pre-dent prereqs. Don't get me wrong, I think RDH--> DDS can be very rewarding, but without working for a few years in between, I see it as a waste of time and money.

Why not just go into your predental education now and skip all the B.S. (in dental hygiene)
I agree. The advantage you get as an RDH when applying to dental school is your clinical experience. It wouldn't make sense to go straight from hygiene school to dental school.

On the flip side, if you don't get in to dental school, you have a backup plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
It'd be nice to work with your RDH a few shifts a week while doing your prereqs and maybe on saturdays in DS (if you find you have the time).

How much longer/$$$$ would it take to finish? What's your current GPA?

It's a good idea to finish what you start. Adcoms may not think highly of you starting a program (esp dental related) and jumping ship for something better/different. What's to stop you from quitting in your D2 year for med school or pharm school?

It's a good idea to finish what you start. Adcoms may not think highly of you starting a program (esp dental related) and jumping ship for something better/different. What's to stop you from quitting in your D2 year for med school or pharm school?

lol then you can tell them there is NO WAY IN HELL you'll quit dental school for a pharmacy school. But be honest and admit the fact that you'll think about medical school.

If your stats are good and confident in your work habits, go straight into pre-dent.

I finished with a B.A. Biology, then went and got my A.S. Dental Hygiene. I cannot comment on whether or not you should pursue a B.S. Dental Hygiene, but what I can tell you is the same as what SEATTLERDH and everyone said.

You get clinical experience and the comfort of already working in the patient's mouth. You will have some background knowledge before entering dental school and will already be licensed in a wonderful profession. However, the courses you take in dental hygiene will only count as other science and will not count towards your BCP GPA. If you do want to pursue dental hygiene before dental school, I would suggest taking the 2 year route and get an A.S. instead of the 4 year to attain a B.S. Hope this helps you with your questions. If you have other questions please feel free to PM me.

By the way I am applying to dental school this cycle and it has helped me out a lot during the application process.

Last edited:
I finished with a B.A. Biology, then went and got my A.S. Dental Hygiene. I cannot comment on whether or not you should pursue a B.S. Dental Hygiene, but what I can tell you is the same as what SEATTLERDH and everyone said.

You get clinical experience and the comfort of already working in the patient's mouth. You will have some background knowledge before entering dental school and will already be licensed in a wonderful profession. However, the courses you take in dental hygiene will only count as non-science and will not count towards your BCP GPA. If you do want to pursue dental hygiene before dental school, I would suggest taking the 2 year route and get an A.S. instead of the 4 year to attain a B.S. Hope this helps you with your questions. If you have other questions please feel free to PM me.

By the way I am applying to dental school this cycle and it has helped me out a lot during the application process.
I just wanted to compliment your username :)

SLOBrule,

Thanks for contributing! Little correction though: hygiene classes are considered "other science" so they're not in BCP but they are included in the science GPA.

Last edited:
SLOBrule,

Thanks for contributing! Little correction though: hygiene classes are considered "other science" so they're not in BCP but they are included in the science GPA.

Thank you for the correction, I was thinking other science but ended up typing non-science instead.

Well my plan was to get my bs and as some mentioned..work as I ease my way into predent. Whats so attractive about my current program is that it's actually a bs in a total of 2 years and not your typical 4!

UoP is where I have my heart set in San Fran. And if I'm not mistaken the demand for hygienists (and pay for that matter) is much higher than here in southern Cali. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

So once I've finished my degree, move up north and work, save, and eventually start pre dent.

One of you touched on this subject already but I have to ask to clarify, will non of the credits i achieve during hygiene be applicable towards predent and eventually dental itself? I'm sure it's up to the school but any clarification would help!

Thanks!

Well my plan was to get my bs and as some mentioned..work as I ease my way into predent. Whats so attractive about my current program is that it's actually a bs in a total of 2 years and not your typical 4!

UoP is where I have my heart set in San Fran. And if I'm not mistaken the demand for hygienists (and pay for that matter) is much higher than here in southern Cali. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

So once I've finished my degree, move up north and work, save, and eventually start pre dent.

One of you touched on this subject already but I have to ask to clarify, will non of the credits i achieve during hygiene be applicable towards predent and eventually dental itself? I'm sure it's up to the school but any clarification would help!

Thanks!

Yes I currently work in the bay area and make 420/day. The demand is no longer what it used to be since it has become flooded with professionals. However, by being patient and being proactive you will be able to find work. It took me close to 6 months before I fortunately found the office I currently work in.

Your dental hygiene courses will count toward your other science courses. Unfortunately it will not be counted under BCP, which accounts for the majority of the dental school prerequisites. So in essence it will help your overall science GPA and give you knowledge of some of the subject matter covered in dental school.

And to answer the question above...

The tuition for this school is right around 100k. But I'm justifying the high expense for the exchange of time.

I'm about 1/3 into the program..and currently have a 3.4 GPA.

All pre reqs and completion of ge is also integrated into this program. So it's a lot of info to cram in a short amount of time.

Anyways..I wish all of you who are embarking on this journey the best!!

Thanks guys!

Thanks slob that was very helpful!! Are you currently only in one office or contracted through others as well?

Any plans on pursuing dentistry?

And if I'm not mistaken the UoP dental campus is in the heart of downtown S.F right?

Thanks slob that was very helpful!! Are you currently only in one office or contracted through others as well?

Any plans on pursuing dentistry?

And if I'm not mistaken the UoP dental campus is in the heart of downtown S.F right?

I was working in two different offices before and am now currently 4 days a week in just one. I see 7-8 patients a day and my boss/mentor has been a huge supporter in my pursuit of becoming a dentist.

I just submitted all my secondary apps last week and so far I have only one interview lined up with Midwestern in Arizona.

UOP school of dentistry is in S.F. Which has been my home all my life.

By the way are you attending SC for your hygiene program?

You guys do realize she would still have to get a degree in something else if she quit hygiene school in order to go to dental school. And if she is 1/3 through the program....those classes won't count towards another degree. That means she's already wasted a lot of money and time.

How many semesters have you been in hygiene school? when did you start?

Do you have a "break" between junior and senior year of hygiene school?

What is your (pre-dental hygiene prereqs and hygiene classes) overall GPA and science GPA right now?

You need to look at your timeline here. How many dental prereqs are you deficient? You probably are missing at least organic chem, physics, and maybe gen chem.

You need to look at how long it would take you to get a biology degree or whatever (in my opinion a worthless degree by itself).

From what you told me, quitting hygiene school would be a horrible idea. You need to shoot for all As in your hygiene program.

What you need to do is map out your timeline based on what year you want to matriculate to dental school, and look at your options.

Reactions: 1 user