katiew

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
I was looking at mdapplicants.com and I noticed a few people went to san jacinto community college. Can you go straight from a cc into med school?

drguy22

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Attending Physician
katiew said:
I was looking at mdapplicants.com and I noticed a few people went to san jacinto community college. Can you go straight from a cc into med school?
ummm....i dont think so..there are a few med schools out there that only require 90 credit hours...but as far as i know you can only do roughly two years at a cc so that roughly translates to 60 crs.

Jambi

Caldari
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2004
The Forge
www.emsforums.com
Status
Although, many universities will take 90 or more units in transfer. UCR has the Thomas Haider program (6 year MD/BS) in which students used to be able to transfer directly into from an CC. Now you have to have had been enrolled at UCR for two years before applying. I guess technically it is/was possible. Once in the Thomas Haider the student is basically accepted to UCLA med school.

http://www.futurestudents.ucr.edu/pdf/biomed.pdf

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
katiew said:
By definition, a community college is a 2-year program. They do not offer junior and senior level courses.

Being that you are required to have a minimum of 3 years of college, an entire year of junior courses would not be available to you at a community college.

Not to mention admission committees would look down upon someone who didn't attend a 4-year university.