From Classroom to Clinicals :confused:

bob13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
    I have a question. How much of the neuroanatomy & neurophysiology are actually used in he clinical practice of neurosurgery? I have enjoyed the time I have spent with a neurosurgeon. the operations are exciting & interesting, but I find is so boring to memorize every single tract and their location in the mesencephalon.

Should I take my boredom with memorizing the neuro anat. & phy, as a sign from God that I may not really be that interested in Neurosurg???

Thanks bob

Blake

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 21, 2004
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I'm finishing an elective in neurosurgery, and from what I've seen so far, we've never had to discuss the localisation of ''non-major'' tracts (vestibulospinal, reticulospinal, etc). I'm confident the residents and attendings are excellent in neuroanatomy, but I haven't seen a single case where those kind of details were deemed relevant for clinical management. Sure, you may get pimped in the OR on some obscure cranial nerve nucleus from time to time, and you'll need to know all that for residency exams, but does it really matter in the end for clinical neurosurgery ? I'm tempted to say no, although my experience is a limited one.

Maybe it's more useful in neurology ?

About the Ads

bob13

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 12, 2004
        Blake,
        Thanks, I appreciate your input. I guess I will just have to do a rotation and see if I enjoy it or not. By that time I will have forget all that I have learned so maybe on my next go around (memorizing it again) I will like it better…

bob

Blake

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Jun 21, 2004
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Blake,
          Thanks, I appreciate your input. I guess I will just have to do a rotation and see if I enjoy it or not. By that time I will have forget all that I have learned so maybe on my next go around (memorizing it again) I will like it better…

bob
          Definitely. You could also shadow more and spend more time with residents, especially. It's easier to ask them those kind of questions as they're more likely to give you detailed answers.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.