From Community College to PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question. I'm planning on taking all the pre req courses at a community college to transfer to UCSF, my #1 pick. I have other schools in mind but what's your guy's take on this? Any tips? My goal is to transfer without a B.A which is going to be difficult but possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish you luck. I currently have spent my entire time @ a community college and will transfer with only 5 courses left to take only because UNC told me they prefer I do it. My goal is to get into the Pharmacy School @ UNC.

I would say stay as long as you can but also look into the possibility of finishing at a 4-year.

I have the GI Bill so after finishing my Associates in Science, they won't allow me to stay at a CC unless I go after another two-year degree. However, I am ready to move on and see another environment.

Just the mindset from being in the military. You need a change after a couple of years.

Good Luck!

I wish you luck. I currently have spent my entire time @ a community college and will transfer with only 5 courses left to take only because UNC told me they prefer I do it. My goal is to get into the Pharmacy School @ UNC.

I would say stay as long as you can but also look into the possibility of finishing at a 4-year.

I have the GI Bill so after finishing my Associates in Science, they won't allow me to stay at a CC unless I go after another two-year degree. However, I am ready to move on and see another environment.

Just the mindset from being in the military. You need a change after a couple of years.

Good Luck!

Yea, people have told me about finishing at a 4 year first but I want to save time and go straight into their pharmD program. I'll be at a community college for 3 years then hopefully I can transfer into UCSF or any other pharm schools. Thanks for you reply :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to as many schools as you can. Get strong EC and pharm experience. Look into PCAT, as well.

For a back up apply to some undergrad programs.
GL!

Hey guys just a quick question. I'm planning on taking all the pre req courses at a community college to transfer to UCSF, my #1 pick. I have other schools in mind but what's your guy's take on this? Any tips? My goal is to transfer without a B.A which is going to be difficult but possible.

You can basically count yourself out of any California schools without a 4 year degree, and Touro is completely off limits, as they have a hard requirement for the BA/BS prior to matric.

UCSF is 99% admit w/ 4 year degree, so...

UCSD requires a BA/BS too.

Last edited:
I'm sure its still possible to get in without a B.A and thats my goal. If I don't, then I'll just go for my B.A. My choice's are Loma Linda, UCSF, WesternU. I'm also looking into out of state but not too sure where exactly yet. I also plan on interning at a pharmacist for a while, hopefully that helps.

I'm sure its still possible to get in without a B.A and thats my goal. If I don't, then I'll just go for my B.A. My choice's are Loma Linda, UCSF, WesternU. I'm also looking into out of state but not too sure where exactly yet. I also plan on interning at a pharmacist for a while, hopefully that helps.

How about choosing an OOS pharmacy school? Some of them do not have a requirement for having a prior degree if your set on it.

I also plan on interning at a pharmacist for a while, hopefully that helps.

Actually, you can't intern as a student pharmacist until you have your pharmacy intern license which you get once you are pharmacy student. Hope this clarifies things. :)

OP, I don't want to sound pesimisstic but your chances of entering UCSF w/out a bachelors degree are practically nonexistent. Less than 1% of class are accepted w/out a degree - you really have to be one heck of a candidate to be admitted to UC and a heck of a heck of a candidate to be that 1 individual out of the entire class that is admitted w/out BS and further education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, you can't intern as a student pharmacist until you have your pharmacy intern license which you get once you are pharmacy student. Hope this clarifies things. :)

OP, I don't want to sound pesimisstic but your chances of entering UCSF w/out a bachelors degree are practically nonexistent. Less than 1% of class are accepted w/out a degree - you really have to be one heck of a candidate to be admitted to UC and a heck of a heck of a candidate to be that 1 individual out of the entire class that is admitted w/out BS and further education.

Beat you to that, Chebs, you're getting slow in your old age :idea:

Beat you to that, Chebs, you're getting slow in your old age :idea:

:roflcopter::roflcopter:

It's too hard for me to check forum frequently now, degenerative arthritis is kicking in and it's too had to use a keyboad now. ;) It's only going to get worse once I turn 26 in a few months ! :eek:

I've been working out about an hour every other day trying to get a bombalicious body, so that probably contributes to my degerantive bone loss and overall weakness. :laugh:

A friend of mine graduated with a B.S. in biochemistry + GPA 3.9 + 1 year of research experience + 1 year of pharmacy tech experience, applied to UCSF twice, both time got turned down. He finally got into UCSD.

A friend of mine graduated with a B.S. in biochemistry + GPA 3.9 + 1 year of research experience + 1 year of pharmacy tech experience, applied to UCSF twice, both time got turned down. He finally got into UCSD.

My roommate is from San Jose, lol.

Yea, I hear it's pretty hard to get into CA schools even if your in-state.

Does this apply to out-of-state people only or in-state as well?

Last edited:
Does this apply to out-of-state people only or in-state as well?

Hey Pygmalion - The emphasis on BA/BS degrees is a California-only phenomenon mostly, because our schools do not require the PCAT and really don't even care if you took it, even if you got a 99th percentile score.

That said, other SDN'ers who attend schools out of California will tell you that the number of classmates they have that possess 4 year degrees is rising with every class and that the 4 year degree is quickly becoming a gold standard for all schools, not just the California ones.

But, for now and for the immediate future (2 cycles maybe? Hard to say), other states don't emphasize the 4 year degree as much. From what I've seen, incoming classes of OO-CA schools have about a 50/50 split.

Hey Pygmalion - The emphasis on BA/BS degrees is a California-only phenomenon mostly, because our schools do not require the PCAT and really don't even care if you took it, even if you got a 99th percentile score.

That said, other SDN'ers who attend schools out of California will tell you that the number of classmates they have that possess 4 year degrees is rising with every class and that the 4 year degree is quickly becoming a gold standard for all schools, not just the California ones.

But, for now and for the immediate future (2 cycles maybe? Hard to say), other states don't emphasize the 4 year degree as much. From what I've seen, incoming classes of OO-CA schools have about a 50/50 split.

Thanks for the info.

I guess getting into UCSF was only a pipe dream. :laugh: I most likely won't even be able to take the prerequisites at a University. With that said, I don't think I'd like to spend the next 4 or so years of my life struggling to get a science-related BA just to get into pharmacy school, with all the current trends pointing towards a diminished job market and an overall bad future for pharmacists.

Should I even try to aim towards finishing all the prerequisites at my community college in 2 years and then apply for an out-of-state Pharm School, or is it a pointless waste of time and money?

I guess getting into UCSF was only a pipe dream. :laugh:

It is for most people, although honestly, there is NO demonstrable difference between a UCSF grad and a Touro grad for example. I've worked with both.

I most likely won't even be able to take the prerequisites at a University.

Why's that?

With that said, I don't think I'd like to spend the next 4 or so years of my life struggling to get a science-related BA just to get into pharmacy school, with all the current trends pointing towards a diminished job market and an overall bad future for pharmacists.

Eh, the problem with "trends" is that we're dealing with really crappy data from all sides. As pharmacists and scientists we'd like to have cold, hard facts at our disposal but the bottom line is that there aren't any. You can't trust the BLS, you can't trust pharmacy schools, you can't even trust hiring sites sometimes. Indeed, what you need to do is follow the path that makes you happy, because if you do need to work a bit harder after you graduate, then you need to be happy doing that.

But consider this: ALL fields are showing terrible hiring right now on the large scale, because we're in a recession and the economy is still on a bender. You can't really find a field to follow right now that will be totally recession proof, and besides, you can't say that in the 4 year it'll take to graduate that things won't have turned around. I'd say that the worst is behind us, and if you believe that, perhaps you should look at it from that perspective.

Also, you don't need a "science degree." I have a humanities degree (two of them, lol) and so do a LOT of people on this board!

Is something "worth" something? That's hard to say for me, I'm just a pharmacy student on the 'net, you know? I don't really know you or your situation, all I can do is say what I would do and what I DID do. I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist from the moment I took an intro to pharmacology class almost by accident, and then once I started volunteering and working as a technician it was solidified completely in my mind.

I can offer this to you: Completing a 2 year degree in science at a CC will NOT be a waste of time and money. You can springboard off that degree to a number of careers, and of course, go to a 4 year school to complete a different course of study, what have you.

Let me ask you this in return: If you didn't go to pharmacy school, and if you don't pursue the "science degree" or the 2 years @ a CC, what would you rather do?

It is for most people, although honestly, there is NO demonstrable difference between a UCSF grad and a Touro grad for example. I've worked with both.

Why's that?

As far as I know, no Universities in the Bay Area will let me enroll at their campus unless I get my Associates from a CC and transfer, which may take two years or longer.

Also, you don't need a "science degree." I have a humanities degree (two of them, lol) and so do a LOT of people on this board!

I am aware of this, but I think if I pursue a degree in humanities, it'll only take me twice as long to get to pharmacy school. On the other hand, if I were to major in something like Biology, for example, I'd have most of the pharm school prereqs knocked out. But I also fear I'll miss the boat for the "golden age" of pharmacists, or that the requirements for pharm school will become too demanding in the future, which is why I'd like to finish the prereqs and get into Pharm School as soon as possible.

Is something "worth" something? That's hard to say for me, I'm just a pharmacy student on the 'net, you know? I don't really know you or your situation, all I can do is say what I would do and what I DID do. I knew I wanted to be a pharmacist from the moment I took an intro to pharmacology class almost by accident, and then once I started volunteering and working as a technician it was solidified completely in my mind.

I can offer this to you: Completing a 2 year degree in science at a CC will NOT be a waste of time and money. You can springboard off that degree to a number of careers, and of course, go to a 4 year school to complete a different course of study, what have you.

Let me ask you this in return: If you didn't go to pharmacy school, and if you don't pursue the "science degree" or the 2 years @ a CC, what would you rather do?

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, to be honest. I know I'd like to get into the health field and help people, and being a pharmacist seems like something I could enjoy -- depending on where I end up working and what my schedule is. I'm also considering Nursing, but honestly I don't think I'd be happy there.

All I know is that I'm going to be in my mid-twenties soon, and I haven't even completed a year of college. I'm scared to death I'm going to be in the same position I am now at 30+ unless I make some drastic changes and get my sh-t together.

As far as I know, no Universities in the Bay Area will let me enroll at their campus unless I get my Associates from a CC and transfer, which may take two years or longer.

Oh, yea of course. I didn't know enough of your "back story", my apologies.

I am aware of this, but I think if I pursue a degree in humanities, it'll only take me twice as long to get to pharmacy school. On the other hand, if I were to major in something like Biology, for example, I'd have most of the pharm school prereqs knocked out. But I also fear I'll miss the boat for the "golden age" of pharmacists, or that the requirements for pharm school will become too demanding in the future, which is why I'd like to finish the prereqs and get into Pharm School as soon as possible.
the Golden Age of Pharmacy is still coming. Novel therapeutics are constantly being developed, our roles are changing in terms of multi-disciplinary teams and more focus on MTM and direct to pt. clinics in hospitals (Coumadin, HTn, etc). Unless you mean "golden age" as in "Pharm.D. = license to print money" in which case yeah, it's long since over. But it's far from closing curtains in terms of getting jobs. We just hired a new staff pharmacist at my hospital last week and she's only been out of school for 18 months (residency for 12 of them) and this is in one of the most "saturated" areas according to anecdote.

What you need to do, IMO, is get pharmacy experience. Shadow a pharmacist, work as a technician or clerk (somewhere IN the pharmacy), etc... Something like that. Pharmacy experience is a huge deal breaker or maker for a LOT of people.

Also, if I could do it all over again I would definitely NOT do a humanities degree. I was a little all over the place back in the day as evidenced by my degree choices. I had a different idea in mind for myself when I was 18. Since we're discussing age, I'm almost 30 and will be over 30 when I graduate - I admire your need to "get to business" but life is not a sprint, it is definitely a marathon/journey and you are the culmination of all your experiences. One thing that came up over and over again for me in my process of pharmacy school admissions is my life experience, and how I was quite a bit more "mature" or "seasoned" than my fellow applicants. It stands out, and is a help more than a hindrance!

With that said, I don't think I'd like to spend the next 4 or so years of my life struggling to get a science-related BA just to get into pharmacy school, with all the current trends pointing towards a diminished job market and an overall bad future for pharmacists.

But I also fear I'll miss the boat for the "golden age" of pharmacists, or that the requirements for pharm school will become too demanding in the future, which is why I'd like to finish the prereqs and get into Pharm School as soon as possible.

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, to be honest.

I'm scared to death I'm going to be in the same position I am now at 30+ unless I make some drastic changes and get my sh-t together.

I'm concerned based on those statements. Science-averse. Challenge-averse. Uncertainty in career. Quick-fix seeking. Pharmacy doesn't seem like a good fit for those conditions, especially with a 100k+ price tag and the possible ramifications from performance.

Last edited:
the Golden Age of Pharmacy is still coming. Novel therapeutics are constantly being developed, our roles are changing in terms of multi-disciplinary teams and more focus on MTM and direct to pt. clinics in hospitals (Coumadin, HTn, etc). Unless you mean "golden age" as in "Pharm.D. = license to print money" in which case yeah, it's long since over. But it's far from closing curtains in terms of getting jobs. We just hired a new staff pharmacist at my hospital last week and she's only been out of school for 18 months (residency for 12 of them) and this is in one of the most "saturated" areas according to anecdote.

What you need to do, IMO, is get pharmacy experience. Shadow a pharmacist, work as a technician or clerk (somewhere IN the pharmacy), etc... Something like that. Pharmacy experience is a huge deal breaker or maker for a LOT of people.

Also, if I could do it all over again I would definitely NOT do a humanities degree. I was a little all over the place back in the day as evidenced by my degree choices. I had a different idea in mind for myself when I was 18. Since we're discussing age, I'm almost 30 and will be over 30 when I graduate - I admire your need to "get to business" but life is not a sprint, it is definitely a marathon/journey and you are the culmination of all your experiences. One thing that came up over and over again for me in my process of pharmacy school admissions is my life experience, and how I was quite a bit more "mature" or "seasoned" than my fellow applicants. It stands out, and is a help more than a hindrance!

::applause::. This is so well-said. I'm approaching 30 (really?! I still feel 18.); before returning to school it seemed so impossible, but it's really all about a commitment. If you commit yourself to what you need to do, you can do it with time and effort. And yes...there are no shortcuts. Humanities degrees are somewhat worthless, too (unfortunately for many).

Knowledge isn't cheap; if it's easy, it's not worth doing. Do something you know others need and want that you find fulfilling. If that's pharmacy, great! If it's something else, do that, instead! Find your niche.