From current or former pod students- how did you change your study habits for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1023325

What are ways you guys fixed/changed bad habits from undergrad? I currently have a few study techniques I use for undergrad. Quizlet, active recall, practice exams, worksheets etc. Tried using Anki and it is super difficult for me to use and I don't quite understand the program. I've tried watching youtube videos for beginners, but if anyone has advice, shoot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I went back a few years and found the following threads on this topic, give it a read:

Reactions: 1 users
Anki is not for everyone; you can try it at the beginning and see if you'd like it, if not then it's fine. You can try learning more about it using the Anking website/YT channel: The AnKing

And:

What worked for me seems simple but takes hours to develop as a method: watch lectures, take good notes, make flashcards from them, either anki/Quizlet or handwritten ones, and start memorizing/getting concepts in.

This can work for many courses but not for anatomy...for anatomy, you have to learn to draw things out and be able to visualize how the body works. Once you begin, study hard for the first few exams and see how they go...if you're doing well (above class average) then keep at it...otherwise, change your method, seek help from school/2nd year students/etc. You may realize that the methods used at the undergrad level can also work during pod meds school but you will have to work at a faster pace to absorb an exponential amount of info. It can be done though, through practice.

Also, there will soon be a sticky in the premed forum just for Anki (how to use it, which resources to use and where to find them, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I used the following studying technique that worked well for me, and if anyone is having issues now or in the future, you can try to use what I did but remember to follow your method; everyone is different, and what worked for me may not work for you. I will divide the following into phases.

Phase 1: Pre-reading Lecture PPT-you're doing this to familiarize yourself with the material and where is what. You're not memorizing anything at this point; if you see something for the first time, then put a ? next to it and ask the professor if it is not clear after the lecture.

Phase 2: Actively listening during lectures and taking notes- try to pay attention during lectures and take whatever note you can. This is also the time to ask questions because remember you are paying the professor's salaries...use them to learn the material. However, don't be raising your hand every few seconds; see what the professor likes, and maybe they might even tell you to ask questions after the lecture.

Phase 3: Re-watch the lecture again. Take notes wherever needed or missed during the live lectures. You can probably watch the lecture at 1.5 or 2.0 speed at this point, so it should be fast. Once finished with the notes, go over it all right there once, make a note if something doesn't make sense, or is unclear. Use the class textbook, email the professor, or ask other students from class for clarification.

Phase 4: Make flashcards using the notes either using ANKI or Quizlet. If you are not familiar with either, then take some time to learn them. The goal now is to learn the material so you can have long-term retention. Just reading the PPTs over and over again WILL not help you on the exam day...this is only short-term memory at work and will not help in the long-term.

Phase 5: Test yourself using sample questions or teaching friends using the writing/drawing technique. Remember, if you can teach it to another person then you know it.

Phase 6: Review everything for that week at least once that week. I usually kept either Fridays or Saturdays for review.

While you're doing all these phases, remember to take breaks, sleep enough, workout, go out, and get some sunlight. If something is not working out then seek help early on from professors and the learning center at school. Don't wait until the third exam to ask for help. For the most part, people at your program want you to succeed, use them.

I used the following studying technique that worked well for me, and if anyone is having issues now or in the future, you can try to use what I did but remember to follow your method; everyone is different, and what worked for me may not work for you. I will divide the following into phases.

Phase 1: Pre-reading Lecture PPT-you're doing this to familiarize yourself with the material and where is what. You're not memorizing anything at this point; if you see something for the first time, then put a ? next to it and ask the professor if it is not clear after the lecture.

Phase 2: Actively listening during lectures and taking notes- try to pay attention during lectures and take whatever note you can. This is also the time to ask questions because remember you are paying the professor's salaries...use them to learn the material. However, don't be raising your hand every few seconds; see what the professor likes, and maybe they might even tell you to ask questions after the lecture.

Phase 3: Re-watch the lecture again. Take notes wherever needed or missed during the live lectures. You can probably watch the lecture at 1.5 or 2.0 speed at this point, so it should be fast. Once finished with the notes, go over it all right there once, make a note if something doesn't make sense, or is unclear. Use the class textbook, email the professor, or ask other students from class for clarification.

Phase 4: Make flashcards using the notes either using ANKI or Quizlet. If you are not familiar with either, then take some time to learn them. The goal now is to learn the material so you can have long-term retention. Just reading the PPTs over and over again WILL not help you on the exam day...this is only short-term memory at work and will not help in the long-term.

Phase 5: Test yourself using sample questions or teaching friends using the writing/drawing technique. Remember, if you can teach it to another person then you know it.

Phase 6: Review everything for that week at least once that week. I usually kept either Fridays or Saturdays for review.

While you're doing all these phases, remember to take breaks, sleep enough, workout, go out, and get some sunlight. If something is not working out then seek help early on from professors and the learning center at school. Don't wait until the third exam to ask for help. For the most part, people at your program want you to succeed, use them.

How many classes did you take during your 1st year? Currently have 4 classes going at the same time at TUSPM and I had to toss aside making sample questions and rewatching lectures due to the volume of stuff I have to go through. If you also had to juggle 4 classes, it would be great to know how much time you spent studying per day.

How many classes did you take during your 1st year? Currently have 4 classes going at the same time at TUSPM and I had to toss aside making sample questions and rewatching lectures due to the volume of stuff I have to go through. If you also had to juggle 4 classes, it would be great to know how much time you spent studying per day.

At Scholl, I got registered for the entire year at a time, even though we have a quarter system. So during the first two quarters, I used the above method for the following classes: genetics (all of it), biochem (all of it), physio/histo (all of it), GA (half of it b/c course runs entire year), and some clinical stuff.

It is a lot of work but not having mandatory lectures helped along with TA-sessions and group-studying.