From dentistry to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

domega3

Reaction score
After completing my first semester in dentistry, I'm incredibly inclined to drop out in pursuit of medicine... I've come to realize how much more I want to focus on learning systemic body functions and associated pathologies, rather than scoping down into head and neck/oral cavity.

Would this be a reasonable motive to drop out of a program only a semester in..? I have no clue if this would be a red flag to the admission committee...I'm absolutely stuck and not sure what to do. I beg of you for advices..

Members don't see this ad.

Did you score really well on your DAT? If you did, I'd say it's probably not worth the regression to MCAT studying... Just push hard in dental school, match to OMFS, and make $$$.

Dropping out of a program is always a red flag to one degree or another. In your case, they might view you as someone with fickle interests.

Reactions: 1 users
After completing my first semester in dentistry, I'm incredibly inclined to drop out in pursuit of medicine... I've come to realize how much more I want to focus on learning systemic body functions and associated pathologies, rather than scoping down into head and neck/oral cavity.

Would this be a reasonable motive to drop out of a program only a semester in..? I have no clue if this would be a red flag to the admission committee...I'm absolutely stuck and not sure what to do. I beg of you for advices..
Makes us worry that you'll bail on Medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Second OMFS if you're a baller. If you're not, stay in dental school anyways and save 5+ years of your youth

My personal opinion:
You do not want to get into this ball of fire.
get into endodontics, orthodontics or OMFS

Sigh :( seems like I dug myself a grave. Thank you all for your input

Trust me, go through with this and your grave will be infinitely bigger. Consider yourself lucky and enjoy your M-F

Reactions: 7 users
Did you score really well on your DAT? If you did, I'd say it's probably not worth the regression to MCAT studying... Just push hard in dental school, match to OMFS, and make $$$.

Dropping out of a program is always a red flag to one degree or another. In your case, they might view you as someone with fickle interests.

I scored 97~99th percentile overall (dont quite remember)- but again, doesn't really have much to do with financial compensation.. If i'm going to spend 4-6 years in residency for surgery, I'd rather to extraoral. Rather than fickle interest, it was more of me just "settling" with the program I was accepted to (applied to 1 med school which I got waitlisted to, and 2 dental schools which I got accepted to), and now I'm agonizing the shortsighted choice and thinking about pursuing my true passion before progressing further with debt, loss of youth (lols), etc

I scored 97~99th percentile overall (dont quite remember)- but again, doesn't really have much to do with financial compensation.. If i'm going to spend 4-6 years in residency for surgery, I'd rather to extraoral. Rather than fickle interest, it was more of me just "settling" with the program I was accepted to (applied to 1 med school which I got waitlisted to, and 2 dental schools which I got accepted to), and now I'm agonizing the shortsighted choice and thinking about pursuing my true passion before progressing further with debt, loss of youth (lols), etc

I quit dental school in third year and applied to medical school and was accepted. Currently halfway through third year of medical school and only regret not switching sooner. Dentistry seems easy to outsiders but it’s far more difficult than it seems. High debt, provider over saturation, and flimsy science (eg “creative diagnosing”, extreme subjectivity in treatment plans between dentists) is the norm for contemporary dentists. Over 95% of my former classmates work in corporate offices located in strip malls next to nail salons and grocery stores. If your heart was set on medicine, which it is as evidenced by being waitlisted for medical school, then you will hate dentistry. Never settle!

Reactions: 7 users
corporate takeover has ruined dentistry; many dentists (not most) are scummy and try to upsell everything. The only place I go now is our local dental school; it's like 1/5th the price of what the community charges. Got a root canal + crown for ~500 bucks out of pocket. Everyone else was between 2500-4500 out of pocket, ready with the financial plan and everything. **** community dentistry.

Reactions: 2 users
There are also dental radiology, pathology and anesthesiology residencies. Maybe you will like those

Reactions: 1 user
Just because this will be a reddish flag on your application doesn't mean you won't get into medical school or that it's not worth trying.

You said you applied to one medical school. Did you take the MCAT? Or did that medical school take your DAT score into consideration?

Members don't see this ad :)
i say finish dental school and then apply to mediscal schools.

Last edited:
corporate takeover has ruined dentistry; many dentists (not most) are scummy and try to upsell everything. The only place I go now is our local dental school; it's like 1/5th the price of what the community charges. Got a root canal + crown for ~500 bucks out of pocket. Everyone else was between 2500-4500 out of pocket, ready with the financial plan and everything. **** community dentistry.
do the dental students do the dental work?

It is ruining medicine too. Corporate anesthesia practices charge crazy fees while paying doctors a pittance. They are taking over EM, derm, radiology,etc too.

You said you applied to one medical school. Did you take the MCAT? Or did that medical school take your DAT score into consideration?

The one medical school I applied to didn't require MCAT. I'm from Canada

Makes us worry that you'll bail on Medicine.

I know two physicians who A. completed the entirety dental school, realized he hated it, applied and was accepted to medical school. B. Went to the first day of dental school, hated it, dropped out, took a year off and attended medical school.

Don’t listen to people who haven’t been in your situation before.

Reactions: 5 users
I know two physicians who A. completed the entirety dental school, realized he hated it, applied and was accepted to medical school. B. Went to the first day of dental school, hated it, dropped out, took a year off and attended medical school.

Don’t listen to people who haven’t been in your situation before.
I know Lotto winners too, but that doesn't mean I'm going to invest my life savings in it

Why not finish dental school and go into an omfs/medical school residency like the one at NYU? You do medical school while doing your omfs residency so you will learn all about the rest of the body systems. Before you make any rash decisions like dropping out of dental school, make sure you are going into medicine with a good idea of what to expect. Don't romanticize being a physician and look into what the job really entails. If it is for you I say go for it but do not delay.

People don't realize its not that easy to get into OMFS residencies. Its insanely competitive. haha that being said, I think you should finish dental school as well.

Reactions: 3 users
People don't realize its not that easy to get into OMFS residencies. Its insanely competitive. haha that being said, I think you should finish dental school as well.

Probably about as easy as beating out 90% of MD students to match a specialty with the exact same work/life/compensation

Probably about as easy as beating out 90% of MD students to match a specialty with the exact same work/life/compensation
lol not really. Boards are pass fail for dentistry so its basically all class rank (you basically have to be top 5% of your class). If you are an MD with a good board score you have decent odds for competitive specialties..

I mean the OP says she doesn't want to focus on oral cavity anatomy, which you kinda need to focus on to be top of the class in dental school to match OMS/anything competitive.

Also, pursuing OMS doesn't solve her issue of wanting to treat parts of the body other than head and neck.

If you are going to drop, it's better to do it earlier rather than later.

* I would try to finish the semester as strong as possible and then leave the program, so that it doesn't look like it was an academic issue.
You scored well on the DAT, so I am confident you will do well on the MCAT as well. Even if the transition takes some time, it is well worth it than to continue pursuing a profession you are not going to enjoy for the rest of your career.

Last edited:
Quit dental school and go for Medicine man - The guy above has some good advice for you. ;P Medicine is way more interesting anyways and has way more career options

lol not really. Boards are pass fail for dentistry so its basically all class rank (you basically have to be top 5% of your class). If you are an MD with a good board score you have decent odds for competitive specialties..

According to D4s, OMFS residents, and OMFS attendings, you really should be top 20% (ideally) and your CBSE (step 1 equivalent) needs to be 70+, which is very difficult to achieve. Overall, if you don't have ranking due to your school being p/f, the CBSE is all that's needed to make it into OMFS. The CBSE is actually weighed more because it's the great equalizer. For example, if you're at a school with ranking and you end up in the top 30-35% but your CBSE is very high, you'll be fine. Another way to increase your chances is by shining on externships (equivalent to aways) or completing an OMFS internship if you fail to match or have been doing general practice and want to switch to OMFS after working for a while.

OMFS is easily the most competitive field within dentistry. I think it's a fascinating field. It allows for a hardcore lifestyle like gen surg (but probably worse, lol) dealing with trauma and malignancy or a chill lifestyle like derm pulling thirds and throwing implants. They share turf with PRS and ENT due to their craniofacial and facial reconstructive work (and cosmetic, depending). They also help PRS and ENT with orthognathics during a case.

Last edited:

I came across your thread and hope I can give you some insight! I have been a pediatric dentist for over 20 years and I absolutely love it, however, it is not for everyone. I loved specializing in pediatrics, because I am able to work at a Children's Hospital, but If you have ANY doubts so early in your education, drop out and apply to medical school. It does not sound like you would be happy in the dental field. Just ask yourself one question, " do you want to go everyday to work, not happy?" This is a life long commitment! It is OK to change your mind, but do it now , not later. People think dentistry is easy, but it is a lot of work and lots of hours treating patients , doing lab work at night in the late hours and also studying for exams. Yes, corporate offices are taking over, but that is also happening in the medical field. You see urgent care facilities all over the place and in strip malls. Most doctors now are employees of hospitals and not self employed. Some are , but most are not. I did have a couple of friends that dropped out of dentistry their senior year and mega debt and they were just not happy. But, they should have done it many years prior! Dental school is definitely more expensive than medical, but both are lots of $$. Also, you cannot rely on getting into an Oral Surgery program, because what if you didn't? Hope that helps.

I came across your thread and hope I can give you some insight! I have been a pediatric dentist for over 20 years and I absolutely love it, however, it is not for everyone. I loved specializing in pediatrics, because I am able to work at a Children's Hospital, but If you have ANY doubts so early in your education, drop out and apply to medical school. It does not sound like you would be happy in the dental field. Just ask yourself one question, " do you want to go everyday to work, not happy?" This is a life long commitment! It is OK to change your mind, but do it now , not later. People think dentistry is easy, but it is a lot of work and lots of hours treating patients , doing lab work at night in the late hours and also studying for exams. Yes, corporate offices are taking over, but that is also happening in the medical field. You see urgent care facilities all over the place and in strip malls. Most doctors now are employees of hospitals and not self employed. Some are , but most are not. I did have a couple of friends that dropped out of dentistry their senior year and mega debt and they were just not happy. But, they should have done it many years prior! Dental school is definitely more expensive than medical, but both are lots of $$. Also, you cannot rely on getting into an Oral Surgery program, because what if you didn't? Hope that helps.

All I know, is there is NO option for being self employed in medicine No longer.
Sham peer review, hospital politics, malpractice litigation, begging for jobs, 500 pound patients, nurse practitioners, every practice wants to set up a protocol as to how you practice and peer review you if you dont follow it to a T. . Brutal existence.

All i know I recently had a root canal for 1450. crown and restroation another 2000. Thats real! I am NOT making it up. ALL CASH.

thats ONE FREAKIN TOOTH>
serious!! 3500 dollars.

and there are 32 teeth,

Im sure i will have trouble again. More cash.
Seems like there is more room for entrepreneurs in dentistry. More gimmicks to sell.
What does medicine have? Colonoscopies ...
That will get patients fired up running to your office.

Those dentists really helped me... which is all that matters.

What does it matter if you helped someone with their teeth or their breast cancer. Its all the same thing..
Stick with Dentistry kid, medicine aint worth it.

All I know, is there is NO option for being self employed in medicine No longer.
At least in my field of child/adolescent psychiatry, this is completely false. It would be extremely easy for me to set up my own practice. I know many who do and even charge $10/minute for follow ups and remain full.

At least in my field of child/adolescent psychiatry, this is completely false. It would be extremely easy for me to set up my own practice. I know many who do and even charge $10/minute for follow ups and remain full.
are you self employed?

I rest my case.
If it was so easy you would be in pvt practice.
I am not in private practice because I don't want to be. The 3 people who had my job before me are all in private practice now. A colleague I'm working with now is leaving for private practice in 2 months. Go ask any child psychiatrist and they'll tell you it's extremely easy to get set up in any part of the country. Your case is misinformed.

I am not in private practice because I don't want to be. The 3 people who had my job before me are all in private practice now. A colleague I'm working with now is leaving for private practice in 2 months. Go ask any child psychiatrist and they'll tell you it's extremely easy to get set up in any part of the country. Your case is misinformed.
Most specialties are going towards employment, punch the clock model ( like nurses). And that is well documented. I dont know about child psych. Not sure why anyone who could go into pvt prac. would not. And you do not have to delineate those reasons for me.
Why would you spend 10 + years studying for a job to punch a clock and listen to someone who has no responsibility for your patients well-being? You are no longer a professional if that is happening. Might as well get a job at the Post office, or any fast-food joint. :highfive:

I can confirm that child/adolescent psych is in very high demand in well-to-do metropolitan areas. There’s an epidemic of ASD, ADHD, and LD and there is a burgeoning industry catering to these disorders. Many doctors are cash only and booked months in advance. They’ll give the patient receipts so they can try to get reimbursed by insurance companies but they don’t deal with insurance companies themselves.

Sham peer review, hospital politics, malpractice litigation, begging for jobs, 500 pound patients, nurse practitioners, every practice wants to set up a protocol as to how you practice and peer review you if you dont follow it to a T. . Brutal existence.

It is regional. There are still opportunities to work for yourself. The other things you mention also vary by location. If you can’t adapt and learn to take those things in stride, then I imagine it could be experienced as “brutal”.

Many dentists do well too but it’s not all roses for them either.

It is regional. There are still opportunities to work for yourself. The other things you mention also vary by location. If you can’t adapt and learn to take those things in stride, then I imagine it could be experienced as “brutal”.

Many dentists do well too but it’s not all roses for them either.

It is not all roses for them but I think they control the game and conditions several orders of magnitude more than we do. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration

It is not all roses for them but I think they control the game and conditions several orders of magnitude more than we do. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration
It seems to be becoming harder for dental as well. Its hard to be 400k in debt as a dental grad and then tack on another 400k or so to buy a practice. 800k in debt before even buying a home or anything? That seems like financial suicide, which is why it seems like more and more grads are entering the corporate dentistry world (Aspen, etc).

Grass is always greener.

So I was always in this boat, I've been a poster here since 2010. Went form school from 10-14 and I was always interested in medicine, but I settled for dentistry after physics destroyed me.

When I was younger, I always resented the fact that I didn't get into medicine. I always felt dentistry was a "lesser" profession in a sense...and that we were always the red-headed stepchildren of the medical world. My two cousins went into medicine and that was that.

When I went into dental school, I barely skated by. I was in the bottom of my class, and was almost held back for inadequate grades. Sad story. But C's get degrees and I graduated.

I started working my first two years in associate gigs and was miserable. What happened to that 8-5, porsche lifestyle, Monday-Thursday? I was working 5-6 days a week, sometimes 50-60 hours a week...and barely making 120-140k. I had no benefits, no holidays, no vacation days. I worked the day before xmas, day after xmas, same with new years etc etc.

I was being told by high school managers that I need to "produce" more and diagnose more. Dentistry was beating me up. I was depressed and tired, and was jealous of my medical peers who seemingly could just work at some regional hospital and be 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, get prestige, respect, and make a great income with great benefits. I felt frustrated in a sense that I was sold the fact that dentistry was some profession that you could learn and challenge yourself...but in reality it's just a fill and drill job. If you have a personality, that counts for more then the actual ability to do surgery. Being personable meant more then being smart. At least with medicine there was always ground breaking new things to learn. I wanted to learn and be something MORE then just a fill and drill machine.

Enough was enough, I jumped into my own practice after all was said and done, and I changed. I was 10x happier. My income skyrocketed. I paid off my student loans, and I'm on track to paying off my practice in 7 years. My financial goal is to pay off the house in 10 years. Then I'll be debt free. I work 4 days a week, and 8 hour days with 5 weeks of vacation. Half my time is spent on netflix, SDN, and stocktwits all day. I don't have to worry about being on call...as the only emergency I get is a broken tooth. And then I got married, and then I found myself pursuing other passions. Last weekend, I played about 20 hours straight of Apex Legends. Today I get off and have another 3 day weekend, where I will mainly play Apex Legends, go out to a bar, and have board game night. See...priorities change. I have no more drive to learn neurosurgery and be the number one doctor anymore. I just go do my job and go home and enjoy myself. Life changes...and for that, I'm happy with Dentistry now....because if I went into medical school...I would still be residency/fellowship. I would still be in school today. That's pretty crazy. My cousin became a heart surgeon...he's still in school. He is still working 60+ hours. But he loves it, and that's great for him. I know I couldn't do it.

Looking back, I *wished* I could of done it...but knowing what I know now...I don't think I could of. Medicine is HARD. It's a calling...and I give props to anyone that goes through with it. The grass is always greener. It will get better Domega. I never liked it that much...but after getting out and owning my own place...I feel blessed to have this job. It won't ever be as "brain rewarding" as medicine... and I will never get thanked for "saving someones life like a surgeon" but I couldn't do it anyhow. It's a hard job.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users
So I was always in this boat, I've been a poster here since 2010. Went form school from 10-14 and I was always interested in medicine, but I settled for dentistry after physics destroyed me.

When I was younger, I always resented the fact that I didn't get into medicine. I always felt dentistry was a "lesser" profession in a sense...and that we were always the red-headed stepchildren of the medical world. My two cousins went into medicine and that was that.

When I went into dental school, I barely skated by. I was in the bottom of my class, and was almost held back for inadequate grades. Sad story. But C's get degrees and I graduated.

I started working my first two years in associate gigs and was miserable. What happened to that 8-5, porsche lifestyle, Monday-Thursday? I was working 5-6 days a week, sometimes 50-60 hours a week...and barely making 120-140k. I had no benefits, no holidays, no vacation days. I worked the day before xmas, day after xmas, same with new years etc etc.

I was being told by high school managers that I need to "produce" more and diagnose more. Dentistry was beating me up. I was depressed and tired, and was jealous of my medical peers who seemingly could just work at some regional hospital and be 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, get prestige, respect, and make a great income with great benefits. I felt frustrated in a sense that I was sold the fact that dentistry was some profession that you could learn and challenge yourself...but in reality it's just a fill and drill job. If you have a personality, that counts for more then the actual ability to do surgery. Being personable meant more then being smart. At least with medicine there was always ground breaking new things to learn. I wanted to learn and be something MORE then just a fill and drill machine.

Enough was enough, I jumped into my own practice after all was said and done, and I changed. I was 10x happier. My income skyrocketed. I paid off my student loans, and I'm on track to paying off my practice in 7 years. My financial goal is to pay off the house in 10 years. Then I'll be debt free. I work 4 days a week, and 8 hour days with 5 weeks of vacation. Half my time is spent on netflix, SDN, and stocktwits all day. I don't have to worry about being on call...as the only emergency I get is a broken tooth. And then I got married, and then I found myself pursuing other passions. Last weekend, I played about 20 hours straight of Apex Legends. Today I get off and have another 3 day weekend, where I will mainly play Apex Legends, go out to a bar, and have board game night. See...priorities change. I have no more drive to learn neurosurgery and be the number one doctor anymore. I just go do my job and go home and enjoy myself. Life changes...and for that, I'm happy with Dentistry now....because if I went into medical school...I would still be residency/fellowship. I would still be in school today. That's pretty crazy. My cousin became a heart surgeon...he's still in school. He is still working 60+ hours. But he loves it, and that's great for him. I know I couldn't do it.

Looking back, I *wished* I could of done it...but knowing what I know now...I don't think I could of. Medicine is HARD. It's a calling...and I give props to anyone that goes through with it. The grass is always greener. It will get better Domega. I never liked it that much...but after getting out and owning my own place...I feel blessed to have this job. It won't ever be as "brain rewarding" as medicine... and I will never get thanked for "saving someones life like a surgeon" but I couldn't do it anyhow. It's a hard job.

Best of luck.

DUDE, let me explain something to you. YOu are the F***ing winner.

The medical profession would have absolutely beat you down to the core. UNfortunately, i have had some dental issues of late, not severe, root canal, crown. These guys have it nice. And they helped me. the endodontist was the baddest mf i have ever met. I would rather
make 200 K 0describing what you describe in the second to last paragrah then 400k being employed and being tortured to death and having the liability that comes with being an Anesthesia doc.

DUDE, let me explain something to you. YOu are the F***ing winner.

The medical profession would have absolutely beat you down to the core. UNfortunately, i have had some dental issues of late, not severe, root canal, crown. These guys have it nice. And they helped me. the endodontist was the baddest mf i have ever met. I would rather
make 200 K 0describing what you describe in the second to last paragrah then 400k being employed and being tortured to death and having the liability that comes with being an Anesthesia doc.

Dude, you sound burned out! Gas docs I talk to and used to work with have it great and are super happy. What’s going on?

Why would you spend 10 + years studying for a job to punch a clock and listen to someone who has no responsibility for your patients well-being? You are no longer a professional if that is happening.
Because my bosses respect my work and treat me like a professional. They give me the flexibility to treat my patients as I see fit other than requiring me to do some extra paperwork I think is useless. I don't punch a clock.

In return, I get to focus on the clinical work and don't have to think about the business aspects I have no interest in. I get to be part of a community of other mental health professionals and other medical subspecialties. I can provide care to those who need to use their insurance (private child psychiatrists can otherwise be quite expensive) without having to care how the payments all work out.

So just came across this and thought this applied to me. So I am a D1 now but starting to have doubts of whether or not I have a passion for dentistry and should have gone for medicine instead. Should I stick it out for a bit longer and see if I like it or request for a leave of absence and start studying for the MCAT? I am just so lost

If you are really serious about this and can't see yourself happy as a dentist, your best bet is to talk to your dean to see if they can arrange an internal switch to the med school.
If you drop out, that would be a huge red flag for any med school ad com. There are so many qualified med school applicants applying, you would be screened out unless you have connections!

Can you explain what you mean by internal switch? Also, my GPA from undergrad is competitive for med schools but probably dont have enough extracurricular

Ask the dean if u could switch from your school’s dental program to medicine program. Often times a lot of the courses are shared in the first year. There might be room in the class for you to switch.