From Family medicine to Internal medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infarcted soul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting board certified in Family medicine if one wishes to pursue Internal medicine, then how much credit will he get for the rotations he did as a part of FM residency?

Members don't see this ad.

After getting board certified in Family medicine if one wishes to pursue Internal medicine, then how much credit will he get for the rotations he did as a part of FM residency?

I think that at least one full year. I know of one resident that did it.

I think that at least one full year. I know of one resident that did it.

Since combined FM/ IM are of 4 years, wouldn't it make sense that doing 1 more year of IM would be enough? Or do these combined residencies have a very meticulously preplanned curriculum? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Combined programs are carefully and stratigicly designed...basicly few to no elective rotations to save months.

Depending on the FM program type, you should get anywhere from a year to a year and a half credit off a typical IM residency. I would not be surprized if the PD gives you 2 years credit if you come from a strong un-opposed FM program and chose your electives carefully, however unlikely.

Combined programs are carefully and stratigicly designed...basicly few to no elective rotations to save months.

Depending on the FM program type, you should get anywhere from a year to a year and a half credit off a typical IM residency. I would not be surprized if the PD gives you 2 years credit if you come from a strong un-opposed FM program and chose your electives carefully.

Can you explain a little why the quality of the FM program (being un-opposed) will influence the PD's decision? I thought only the objective data regarding the total number of months spent in IM and allied subspecialties will matter.

Last edited:
Can you explain a little why the quality of the FM program (being un-opposed) will influence the PD's decision? I thought only the objective data regarding the total number of months spent in IM and allied subspecialties will matter.

It pretty much is. In fact if you were opposed and rotated through an IM residency service for your med months it would probably look better. Especially if that is where you are applying. I guess what one would really worry about is if you had a really weak medicine service where you barely admit anyone and those you did admit were all soft admits.

In the end though most PDs probably know little about the reputation of any FM programs and will just look at your number of months in medicine and med specialties.

In the end though most PDs probably know little about the reputation of any FM programs and will just look at your number of months in medicine and med specialties.

Exactly right. Unlikely they'll dig up the actual H&P to see if the admission had substance. Plus, I don't think it's entirely up to the PD. It may not have anything to do with them, actually. I think it's the licensing board that needs to approve the switch and to determine deficiencies.

Good vs. "weak" FP programs is irrelevant. Any accredited program is equal in the eyes of the licensing board.

OP - would advise not pursuing IM after FP unless you are certain you want to sub-specialize, which can't be done as an FP, and you're already locked into FP residency. Everything else - outpatient, hospitalist, nursing home, sleep, sports - is available to an FP same as IM. It's very expensive in terms of lost salary-years to do both training tracts and you could run into funding issues with the government. The people I know who have transferred have always been unhappy with how few rotations actually give them credit. You're basically starting over.

unless you have a very strong commitment to do more residency -- and a relatively guaranteed fellowship if you are seeking it, you should go for it.
I know someone that matched in IM after FM, to obtain a fellowship spot after IM, and didn't match as of yet.

Good vs. "weak" FP programs is irrelevant. Any accredited program is equal in the eyes of the licensing board.

So I guess, consensus seems to be that the quality does not matter much

and a relatively guaranteed fellowship if you are seeking it, you should go for it.
I know someone that matched in IM after FM, to obtain a fellowship spot after IM, and didn't match as of yet.

Guaranteed fellowship ??? I guess that may be only said if there are in house fellowships available.. Right?

I have frequently heard that many programs do not care about the problem of funding if they want you. Is this actually true? Or is it very difficult to find any of those many programs?

to truthfully answer the question as it is asked, it should be dissected...

board certified family medicine... finished family medicine residency in 3 years... sat for the abfm in june/july... found out results (passed) 2-3 months later... thus board certified.

so, sitting in september/october, this board certified family medicine physician is interested in applying to im for the following year... or trying to find an open position?

if a family medicine resident (pgy1 or pgy2) was interested in switching to im, the outcome would be anybody's guess.

the program director is under no obligation to give the fm intern/resident credit for anything. period.

that's not to say that the pd wouldn't try to give any credit, but that would remain to be seen. it would really come down to the pd (or the appointed/designated person), looking at the fm residents previous schedule, and seeing what lined up with that of im, and which didn't.

in all honesty, it'd probably be easier to find an open position at an im program, than it would be to do it traditionally through the match.

So I guess, consensus seems to be that the quality does not matter much

Guaranteed fellowship ??? I guess that may be only said if there are in house fellowships available.. Right?

In house fellowships can help, but still no real guarantee. I think that publications can help out big time, but by far the most solid connection is a family connection -- sadly enough.

Transfers are highly individualized. How much credit (if any) will be granted towards an IM residency depends on a lot of different factors involving the individual and the accepting program. I've known people who switched between IM and FP in the past, and they typically had to complete at least two years in the new program...sometimes more.

but but why???????
go thru another residency
one is enough

but but why???????
go thru another residency
one is enough

Beacuse some of us do not like FM. I know that once I graduate, I will NEVER WANT to practice FM in any shape or form. I do not like, correction - HATE, being a PCP. FM residency is very tough for me (I am not a "people person"), and it just does not fit my style or what I like. I am a do-er, who likes to work with his hands. I am not a "thinker". Every second in the clinic, ER, or the wards is a LIVING HELL for me. When I set foot into the clinic/wards I get sick to my stomach, nauseated, and start to hyperventilate. I am tolerating it because I know FM (and other similar specialties like IM, PEDS, ER, PSYCH....) are the only thing I can get at this time. Once I graduate, I will do another residency in a surgical subspecialty.

However I agree that a change from FM to IM is kind of meaningless, unless you want to do a fellowship.