From Midshipman to Teacher to Barista to Military Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Storm2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here and I really need some good quality advice. My life has been as of lately very chaotic so I guess I should start at the beginning.

High School:In high school, I was a great student. Double athlete, SGA Vice President, and I was expected to attend a service academy and become a doctor. I even wrote a good poem on it which I'll send to you if you'd like and won a scholarship. I got into the Naval Academy Prep School and after a year I was promised a spot at the Naval Academy. Life was off to a great start or so I thought.

USNA: After a year at NAPS, I went to USNA where everything went horribly. My grades were terrible my first semester and I got called "inept'" and "stupid" enough by my peers and superiors that I really thought that I was. So I stopped wanting to be a doctor or much of anything. Add in weight struggles and a sexual assault that wasn't taken seriously, to say the least I was a bad Midshipman. Ultimately, I was separated (expelled) for lying about my height for weigh ins.

Post USNA: After leaving USNA, I was disowned by my Dad and thrown out of the family home. Then on top of that I had a bill for my time at USNA for close to $200K. Even though I asked to enlist to pay it back, they would not send me out to the Fleet. So I was 22, homeless, and super broke. Now comes the hard work.

CofC and Grad School: So I enrolled (by the grace of God and my Mom) at the College of Charleston. I completed not one but two degrees in English and Secondary Education and I minored in Theater and Creative Writing. All while working 5 jobs and trying to get military waivers. I got one for Marine Corps OCS and that took 18 months. I applied but wasn't selected but I'm applying again this year. Anyway, I couldnt get a teaching job post grad but I started supplemental Instructing at The Citadel next door to CofC. Things were ok. I was semi-stable but wanted and needed a better job with benefits.

My First Teaching Job: My first teaching job was in a rural Title 1 school where I would be teaching Theater my minor. I should have never taken this job. It was way out of my comfort zone and the kids were encouraged to do nothing and I got in trouble for making them do things. Needless to say, things there did not go well and I was not asked to come back for a confrontation I had with a student which later ended up on my teaching license.

Deep Depression: After an ultimate blow up at the school, I left and sunk into a Christmas depression. I did nothing for the holidays except gained 25 pounds. Again with the help of my Mom, I got out of the funk in January and immediately lost the weight and began substitute teaching. This went well until an anonymous source told the agency I worked for what happened at my last school.

Moving: I then moved myself out of my Mom's house to a district an hour away for a new job teaching English. I loved it and enjoyed it and was quite good but then I was fired because the state board put at Public Reprimand on my license for what happened at my first school. This still means I have my license but this puts the district in danger of being sued. So I got fired again....

Starbucks: This time after being fired, I cried in my car for 20 minutes and then drove to the unemployment agency and spent the next week applying to jobs and interviewing everywhere I could outside of education. I got a job at Starbucks which has better benefits than teaching but the work is hard and it pays $9/hr. I can't keep doing this forever so now I'm going back to high school and my plan that I had pre USNA.

The Present: Right now, I am due to graduate with my Masters in Leadership tomorrow and I am beginning to re-adress my life. I have a teaching job for the fall at a private school out of state. I'm not moving again just commuting. I'm staying at Starbucks all summer and in the meantime I plan to apply to medical school or something.

The Present Facts: I still need to figure out how to pay back the government the $200K I owe them. Thanks to the current administration needing military personel I can go back into any branch more than likely with a shorter waiver period as long as I qualify. Med school wise, I have all the credits except Biology and Organic Chemistry. I will have a Higher Ed Salary at my new job and I was planning on using it for those classes. I also plan to take the MCAT this July so I can apply to medical school in the fall/winter with those score and do interviews over Spring or Winter Break. I plan to also apply to AMEDD (Military Medical Scholarship) and try to get medical school paid that way then re-start my military career. If that doesnt work, I'm flat out enlisting with 2 Bachelors and a Masters Degree. It's not the end of the world and I'll be paying off debt.

In Closing: So with that being said, does this seem too crazy and can any help me or am I beyond help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Storm,

So I know your feeling defeated right now and feel there is no hope. I am going to be really realistic right now with you but it's up to you in the end if you feel like you still want to keep moving ahead.

Some things that caught my attention:
  • You got expelled for lying: I can only imagine this is on your record/transcript for life. Medical School may see this and it will raise questions about your character and or suitability for medical school.
  • You have a "mark" on your teaching license. Again raises questions. Not that they will look into your teaching license so you may be ok.
  • 200K to pay back. Do you really want to put another 100-200K on top of all that?
  • I can apply to medical school in the fall/winter with those score and do interviews over Spring or Winter Break.: Are you applying to Caribbean schools or International schools that have different start dates? If not applying this late could possibly be the worse thing possible. The application opened on May 2nd and you can actually start submitting in June. The earlier the better and there is so many reasons behind submitting your application early.
I would do a little more planning and evaluating of your current situation. What are your grades for your Undergraduate, Masters? Science GPA? This will all contribute to whether this is feasible or not. You definitely have some hurdles to overcome which may take some time. But only you can decided if the sacrifice of time and money is worth it in the end to you.

Best,

Cristina
SupermomMD.org

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't sugar coat this. You'd be DOA at my school. Time for Plan B.

Hi I'm new here and I really need some good quality advice. My life has been as of lately very chaotic so I guess I should start at the beginning.

High School:In high school, I was a great student. Double athlete, SGA Vice President, and I was expected to attend a service academy and become a doctor. I even wrote a good poem on it which I'll send to you if you'd like and won a scholarship. I got into the Naval Academy Prep School and after a year I was promised a spot at the Naval Academy. Life was off to a great start or so I thought.

USNA: After a year at NAPS, I went to USNA where everything went horribly. My grades were terrible my first semester and I got called "inept'" and "stupid" enough by my peers and superiors that I really thought that I was. So I stopped wanting to be a doctor or much of anything. Add in weight struggles and a sexual assault that wasn't taken seriously, to say the least I was a bad Midshipman. Ultimately, I was separated (expelled) for lying about my height for weigh ins.

Post USNA: After leaving USNA, I was disowned by my Dad and thrown out of the family home. Then on top of that I had a bill for my time at USNA for close to $200K. Even though I asked to enlist to pay it back, they would not send me out to the Fleet. So I was 22, homeless, and super broke. Now comes the hard work.

CofC and Grad School: So I enrolled (by the grace of God and my Mom) at the College of Charleston. I completed not one but two degrees in English and Secondary Education and I minored in Theater and Creative Writing. All while working 5 jobs and trying to get military waivers. I got one for Marine Corps OCS and that took 18 months. I applied but wasn't selected but I'm applying again this year. Anyway, I couldnt get a teaching job post grad but I started supplemental Instructing at The Citadel next door to CofC. Things were ok. I was semi-stable but wanted and needed a better job with benefits.

My First Teaching Job: My first teaching job was in a rural Title 1 school where I would be teaching Theater my minor. I should have never taken this job. It was way out of my comfort zone and the kids were encouraged to do nothing and I got in trouble for making them do things. Needless to say, things there did not go well and I was not asked to come back for a confrontation I had with a student which later ended up on my teaching license.

Deep Depression: After an ultimate blow up at the school, I left and sunk into a Christmas depression. I did nothing for the holidays except gained 25 pounds. Again with the help of my Mom, I got out of the funk in January and immediately lost the weight and began substitute teaching. This went well until an anonymous source told the agency I worked for what happened at my last school.

Moving: I then moved myself out of my Mom's house to a district an hour away for a new job teaching English. I loved it and enjoyed it and was quite good but then I was fired because the state board put at Public Reprimand on my license for what happened at my first school. This still means I have my license but this puts the district in danger of being sued. So I got fired again....

Starbucks: This time after being fired, I cried in my car for 20 minutes and then drove to the unemployment agency and spent the next week applying to jobs and interviewing everywhere I could outside of education. I got a job at Starbucks which has better benefits than teaching but the work is hard and it pays $9/hr. I can't keep doing this forever so now I'm going back to high school and my plan that I had pre USNA.

The Present: Right now, I am due to graduate with my Masters in Leadership tomorrow and I am beginning to re-adress my life. I have a teaching job for the fall at a private school out of state. I'm not moving again just commuting. I'm staying at Starbucks all summer and in the meantime I plan to apply to medical school or something.

The Present Facts: I still need to figure out how to pay back the government the $200K I owe them. Thanks to the current administration needing military personel I can go back into any branch more than likely with a shorter waiver period as long as I qualify. Med school wise, I have all the credits except Biology and Organic Chemistry. I will have a Higher Ed Salary at my new job and I was planning on using it for those classes. I also plan to take the MCAT this July so I can apply to medical school in the fall/winter with those score and do interviews over Spring or Winter Break. I plan to also apply to AMEDD (Military Medical Scholarship) and try to get medical school paid that way then re-start my military career. If that doesnt work, I'm flat out enlisting with 2 Bachelors and a Masters Degree. It's not the end of the world and I'll be paying off debt.

In Closing: So with that being said, does this seem too crazy and can any help me or am I beyond help?

I was separated (expelled) for lying
a confrontation I had with a student which later ended up on my teaching license.
Deep Depression:
I got fired again....
I got a job at Starbucks ... but the work is hard
in the meantime I plan to apply to medical school or something.
I also plan to take the MCAT this July so I can apply to medical school in the fall/winter with those score and do interviews over Spring or Winter Break.
does this seem too crazy and can any help me or am I beyond help?
If you don't have bio, orgo, or biochem, you aren't taking the mcat this July. Even if you did, applying in the fall/winter is too late.

But none of that really matters becasue you don't actually want to be a physician, you want a mechanism to get your life back on track and regain you inner locus of control. The best thing you could do for that is to seek professional help.

As far as that military debt stuff goes. Usually the military doesn't care about your money, they have quite enough of that. They want your time. So just go enlist, or commission, or do whatever you have to do to get the ball rolling with that. If you keep putting it off one day you'll be too old to serve and then you're probably stuck with the bill, garnished wages, and all that jazz.

Also, let me be the first to tell you. Do not consider Caribbean medical schools. From your position they may sound like a rock in the storm, but they will put the final nail in your financial coffin. Seriously. Don't even google them.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above. Don't do this. Medicine is a wonderful field but it can chew up and spit out the toughest people. Given how you've had trouble in every field you've tried, I think medicine would certainly do the same and probably worse. It is definitely not the field for people trying to put their life back together; it's a field for people who have already done that who now want to serve their fellow man.

I've seen people with red flags get in, but only after turning things around and applying with a demonstrable record of success. Maybe if ten years from now you applied after a highly regarded career in the military or other field, on top of the world, well beyond those mistakes of youth, then and only then would you even begin to have a chance. You need a decade or two of distance to play the "I was young and stupid" card.

I'm sorry to hear you've had such a rough path.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm gonna jump off what everyone else said. So far you have not shown any stability. Go enlisted for 4 years, get the GI bill and try again. I went Infantry -> Med school so it is possible.

Reactions: 1 users