From my scores and stats - which schools are reach, realstic, backup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alee_25

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on my MCAT and GPA can anyone help me to tell me a few schools that shoudl be in each tier: reach, realsitic, and backup. Ive done a lot of extracircuulars and i wonder if that will boost up my chances.

I dont need an entire list of schools (but the more the better) for each tier but im looking just to see the caliber of schools that i shoudl be applying to. Thank you in advanced

Berkeley Graduate - Molecular Cell Bio Major with a bunch of extra upper div Chem Classes (i was goning to do a chem minor)
3.85 overall GPA, science GPA (about the same)
VR 9, PS 12, BS 14 = 35R

UC Berkeley high school honors program participant
Regents and Chancellors Scholar
Robert Bryd Scholar
Personal Care attendant
General Chemistry Tutor
Organic Chemistry Researcher for 4 yrs now
Breakdancing Instructor for 1.5 yrs (helped uderprivledged kids and taught an offical berkeley class about it)
Recruitment chair for my fraternity
Healthworker for UC Berkeley fraternities and sororities
ER volunteer
Volunteer in Costa Rica at a adults disability center
Worked and coordinated National Dengue Day in Costa Rica
Organic Chemistry Teaching Assistant
Alta Bates Medical Center Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Preceptorship program

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

You're pretty much good for wherever, except for maybe WashU, with their ridiculously high MCAT averages which they like to keep up.

alee_25 said:
Based on my MCAT and GPA can anyone help me to tell me a few schools that shoudl be in each tier: reach, realsitic, and backup. Ive done a lot of extracircuulars and i wonder if that will boost up my chances.

I dont need an entire list of schools (but the more the better) for each tier but im looking just to see the caliber of schools that i shoudl be applying to. Thank you in advanced

Berkeley Graduate - Molecular Cell Bio Major with a bunch of extra upper div Chem Classes (i was goning to do a chem minor)
3.85 overall GPA, science GPA (about the same)
VR 9, PS 12, BS 14 = 35R

UC Berkeley high school honors program participant
Regents and Chancellors Scholar
Robert Bryd Scholar
Personal Care attendant
General Chemistry Tutor
Organic Chemistry Researcher for 4 yrs now
Breakdancing Instructor for 1.5 yrs (helped uderprivledged kids and taught an offical berkeley class about it)
Recruitment chair for my fraternity
Healthworker for UC Berkeley fraternities and sororities
ER volunteer
Volunteer in Costa Rica at a adults disability center
Worked and coordinated National Dengue Day in Costa Rica
Organic Chemistry Teaching Assistant
Alta Bates Medical Center Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Preceptorship program

Thank you for your time

Take this with a grain of salt. In my opinion applying to the top ten schools is a reach regardless of stats. So I would apply to atleast 15 schools. Also remember you're a California resident so just getting into a state school will be an accomplishment. Also, you didn't specify if you wanted to stay in the West coast or not so that's something for you to consider.

Reach ie. crapshoot
Harvard, Duke, Washington U. in St. Louis, Columbia, Cornell, Northwestern, Michigan, Stanford, Johns Hopkins, UC San Francisco, Baylor

Realistic still no walk in the park
UCLA, UC SanDiego, UC DAvis, Albert Einstein of Yeshiva, NEw York University, emory, vanderbilt

Safeties Not easy just schools that aren't as highly ranked as the aforementioned schools. Realise out of state is harder

University of iowa (30 mcat 3.7 for out of state), cleveland clinic, that's all i can think off the top of my head

I'm not really aware of any safety medical schools in your situation. I'm sure there are but since you live in Cali no way would I ever name a safety. However, hopefully this list will help give you an idea of some schools to consider.