okokok

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2012
Status
I'm interested in hearing from nursing students and nurses who have decided to work toward becoming physicians. What were your reasons for deciding to switch? What were your reasons for not going the physician route in the first place?

For those who became doctors, how does the profession measure up to your expectations? Are you glad you switched from nursing?

I'm not interested in hearing from non-nursing people with guesses or thoughts as to why people might want to make the switch. Rather, I'd love to hear from people who have made this switch firsthand. Thanks!

OP
O

okokok

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2012
Status
On another topic, has the search function not been working for anyone else on the mobile version of sdn? It always returns only the two most recent results for me, no matter what terms I search.

Anyway, thanks for the links.

Feb 26, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm interested in hearing from nursing students and nurses who have decided to work toward becoming physicians. What were your reasons for deciding to switch? What were your reasons for not going the physician route in the first place?

For those who became doctors, how does the profession measure up to your expectations? Are you glad you switched from nursing?

I'm not interested in hearing from non-nursing people with guesses or thoughts as to why people might want to make the switch. Rather, I'd love to hear from people who have made this switch firsthand. Thanks!

My answer. I've ALWAYS wanted to be a physician. I did nursing because I wasn't confident in myself. I was bullied all through primary school and was bullied in college. I needed a break so i left my BS/MD program, went to Nursing School and now I am preparing to take MCAT.
I KNEW that if i let it go, i would wake up so disappointed that i didn't follow my dream, that i didn't even try?! No way. So i had to do it.

tmn

Dr. Blake Downs
Jul 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student

When I was 18 I thought there was no chance in hell that I wanted to go to school that long, or work that many hours, or have that much responsibility. Turns out 18 year old me didn't have everything figured out (despite what he thought). A little life experience and another career made me realize that while I enjoyed nursing, becoming a physician was what I really wanted.

Chicks, money, power, and chicks. Duh.

Reactions: Mad Jack

tmn

Dr. Blake Downs
Jul 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Seriously though: increased breadth of knowledge, increased autonomy, opportunity to specialize, intellectually challenging, etc, etc.

popopopop

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
DFW/Houston
Status
Medical Student
When I was 18 I thought there was no chance in hell that I wanted to go to school that long, or work that many hours, or have that much responsibility. Turns out 18 year old me didn't have everything figured out (despite what he thought). A little life experience and another career made me realize that while I enjoyed nursing, becoming a physician was what I really wanted.

Chicks, money, power, and chicks. Duh.
Bro, you were being satirical but this is similar to how the medical bug bit me (well, except for the last part about chicks/money lol).

shinny437

5+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2011
Michigan
Status
Medical Student

I'm a (retired?) nurse in medical school at University of Michigan. You can do it if you really set your mind to it. Don't let people tell you otherwise. You need to be a very good student and dedicated. You will face a lot of adversity since people in the nursing profession may think you are betraying them and pre-meds think you are a joke. Stand your ground.

I didn't want to be a healthcare provider that always answered to someone. I wanted to be in complete control of my patient's care and not take orders. Plus, I am really interested in surgery and I can't get that as a nurse. I chose to go nursing first because it is a practical major in that you start with patient care from square one. I also don't like hard sciences enough to spend 4 years doing it. Also, what if I didn't get it? I would be stuck with a science degree I can do nothing with. It made more sense to plan for my future and have a stable back up plan that didn't require extra schooling.

Reactions: BlueSky24

prettyNURSEtoMD

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in my last prerequisite then on to MCAT! I've been an ER nurse for 2 years. I always knew I wanted to be a doctor but I didn't have a rationale or a certain aha moment. It was literally something in me. I didn't have enough knowledge to completely understand what I was being called to do. I was passive in high school and let somebody discourage me. I sat in my first nursing class and was like oh no this is not what I want and I've hated nursing ever since. Don't get me wrong it is a great profession and it has humbled me but if this isn't what you want to do you'll never be happy. There was an actual specific event that let me not to go straight to medical school but I'm putting that in my personal statement so I'm keeping that out. I do know I need a more sophisticated learning experience. I don't ask nursing questions. I want to know the etiology behind everything and my nursing preceptors didn't have the answers to the types questions but my physicians did. And I'm tired of being told "oh girl nurses don't need to know that..."

Reactions: BlueSky24
Jan 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in my last prerequisite then on to MCAT! I've been an ER nurse for 2 years."
How encouraging! I'm fixing to start my final semester as an undergrad, and I am in nursing school. I have an externship in the ER this summer. I plan on taking the MCAT before I graduate, and then I'm applying to Medical School. I knew all along that I wanted to be a physician, but I did not want to waste my undergraduate years immersed in classes that I will never use. Nursing school has afforded me an opportunity that I would never have had if I would have been a biology or chemistry major. The only downside is having to take the pre-reqs in addition to the nursing courses, but it is totally worth it in the long run. Everything you learn in nursing school is directly applicable to healthcare, while upper level chemistry classes are so far removed from anything that you will ever encounter in the healthcare setting (i.e. quant, pchem). Do you have any tips for someone going this route and did you ever go through with the process and get in anywhere?

Make Or Break

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How encouraging! I'm fixing to start my final semester as an undergrad, and I am in nursing school. I have an externship in the ER this summer. I plan on taking the MCAT before I graduate, and then I'm applying to Medical School. I knew all along that I wanted to be a physician, but I did not want to waste my undergraduate years immersed in classes that I will never use. Nursing school has afforded me an opportunity that I would never have had if I would have been a biology or chemistry major. The only downside is having to take the pre-reqs in addition to the nursing courses, but it is totally worth it in the long run. Everything you learn in nursing school is directly applicable to healthcare, while upper level chemistry classes are so far removed from anything that you will ever encounter in the healthcare setting (i.e. quant, pchem). Do you have any tips for someone going this route and did you ever go through with the process and get in anywhere?
Don't tell your interviewer you went to nursing school only for the "experience".

Reactions: prettyNURSEtoMD

prettyNURSEtoMD

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
I apply this upcoming cycle. I'm also applying to post bacc programs to do this year as well. I needed something to help make the transition to medical school a little easier for me. I've been out of school full time for a while so Mon-Fri class all day will take an adjustment. Plus, I have no upper division courses. I wasn't happy with my Mcat score so I'm retaking in June. (I'll be late behind or whatever people on here call it) I took some of the prereqs simultaneously while in nursing school. I was a double major in nursing and Spanish, I dropped the Spanish and proceeded on. I studied abroad in the summer of 2011, so I took a pause in the prereqs, and in 2012, I took a year off to really grasp nursing, after all that is my current career. I took all of my courses accelerated. So for example, I took Ochem 1 and 2 in one semester. So one semester is 16 weeks. So I took o chem 1 first 8 weeks and then ochem 2 second 8 weeks. The only course I took shorter than that was Gen Bio 1. I took that in a 3 weeks course. But physics, etc all 8 weeks. That just worked for me because I wanted to knock them out. Now, I made As but I had the discipline and I had the time. If you don't I wouldn't recommend it. If your school is on a quarter system or doesn't have accelerated courses then disregard. I went to nursing school because I was told I wasn't smart enough. And maybe I'll agree, I wasn't smart enough to tell them what I would tell them now if they told me lol. My life took a very unexpected turn this last year and being a nurse has helped me personally with family that I didn't think I would have to experience. Nursing gave me a backbone, I was passive. I experienced humility. I had an 8 month old baby when I started nursing school and was a single mother, so I had to finish nursing school even though I knew once I was in this isn't what I wanted. I needed to be responsible. I appreciate my experience and what I've learned. You seem to be taking mcat and applying with no experience? Am I reading that right? I can't gauge an opinion because I'll have 5 years of experience assuming I get in when I apply and I'll tell you I needed that. But I will say prepare to answer questions like "why did you apply immediately", "why medicine and not NP", etc etc and it took me a while to finally have a strong answer. You need to say something more than "autonomy". If there are any other questions let me know!

caffeinemia

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My answer. I've ALWAYS wanted to be a physician. I did nursing because I wasn't confident in myself. I was bullied all through primary school and was bullied in college. I needed a break so i left my BS/MD program, went to Nursing School and now I am preparing to take MCAT.
I KNEW that if i let it go, i would wake up so disappointed that i didn't follow my dream, that i didn't even try?! No way. So i had to do it.
I sympathize with you, but I wouldn't talk about bullying as a reason for not doing something. If you end up at an interview with some jerky surgeon, you're gonna get crushed. Also, med school and residency have some borderline bullying sometimes (they are trying to cut it down), but you gotta demonstrate that you can look past/overcome that kind of stuff.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I would agree with @caffeinemia and encourage you to not include those personal bits when it comes time to apply. It smacks of immaturity and inability to "hack it" if you admit to schools that you dropped out of a combined program because of "bullying." It's entirely possible that you will be "bullied" at various points in your career and you will have very little or no recourse. Don't give them a reason to think you can't make it through the curriculum.

Reactions: Mad Jack

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
lol you needed a break from bullying so you went to nursing school?
from the frying pan into the fire eh?