from psychiatry to neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stn2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is in his pgy1 in psychiatry, but he wants to change to neurology. I think he did 4-5 months of internal medicine, 2 neurology, and the rest of the rotations was in psychiatry. Would he have to repeat pgy1 again? Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

My husband is in his pgy1 in psychiatry, but he wants to change to neurology. I think he did 4-5 months of internal medicine, 2 neurology, and the rest of the rotations was in psychiatry. Would he have to repeat pgy1 again? Thank you for your help.

Yes. Read the "C. Specific Training Requirements—Neurology" section of this doc (page 12/25) : http://www.abpn.com/downloads/ifas/IFA_Cert_NChiN_AFTER_10.pdf

"A full year of ACGME-accredited training in internal medicine or, as an acceptable alternative, a full year in an ACGME-accredited program in which a minimum of six months of training must be in internal medicine, the
details of which must be documented by the training director. The composition of these six months may NOT include rotations in neurology, family medicine, or emergency medicine. To ensure that these six months constitute a high-quality experience, they should emphasize progressive responsibility for the resident. At least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, and/or emergency medicine. For candidates entering neurology residency training on or after July 1, 2001, at least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and/or emergency medicine. No more than two of the remaining four months may be spent in neurology."

thank you for your response. it seems like he has to repeat pgy1 year with internal medicine or combination of those.