From Surgery in France, planning on pathology in US.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomm007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated at 2012, from gulf country med school, accredited by ECFMG,
Finished USMLE step 1, 230, Step 2 CS, in 2013 only Step 2 CK remain which will be done in the end of this year.
I have experience of général surgery in france for about one year and half. residency was hard, the prospect of free medical care does not allow good training, not to mention general surgeons poorly after residency and the centralised healthcare intervent in job mobility. not to mention I felt like a technical service provider with zero understanding of pathogenesis, luckily I saw my friends working in Pathology and how they dissect pathogenesis and understand it very well while they instruct us in cancer surgeries, that made me interested. That is one factor, the other factors is the calm envorinment, association with academia and research and place for lifestyle, as I am becoming 30 soon, I am starting to feel the nessecity to build a life, why US? because cultural background as I did live a while in midwest and love the mindset, fine social life, I speak english with no accent (in france you'd have hard time intergrating if you had an accent and different cultural background), and good pay (GP is paid two times as general surgeon in Franc).
What do you think the most obstacles I'll have being IMG, switching between entirely different two steps and how should I plan?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'll have a good chance at getting into residency somewhere in the US, if everything you are saying is correct. Your obstacles will be the same as any new pathology resident, but you'll have some advantages such as dissection skills and knowledge of surgical practice.

Alors, si vous pouvez parler français, vous devriez penser de déménager au Québec. Ils ont besoin de beaucoup de médecins qui pouvoir parler français et anglais.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'll have a good chance at getting into residency somewhere in the US, if everything you are saying is correct. Your obstacles will be the same as any new pathology resident, but you'll have some advantages such as dissection skills and knowledge of surgical practice.

Alors, si vous pouvez parler français, vous devriez penser de déménager au Québec. Ils ont besoin de beaucoup de médecins qui pouvoir parler français et anglais.

Well yes, but keep in mind that the job market in every specialty is getting very tight in Quebec. There are still some openings in pathology, but there are a lot of residents.