From UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonling

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
i'm a 2nd year med student from UK. I want to come and work in the US after i get my MBChB here, so, am taking Usmle step 1 in this coming August.
I'm just wondering if u could tell me when I could take my step 3? Let's say, i finish my Pre-registration house officer here, can i then come to US and take the step 3? and if i pass step 3, what do i do then? do i start residency?
do u think it's better if i stick around here and do my postgrad and only then, i come?

cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by wonling:
•Hi there,
i'm a 2nd year med student from UK. I want to come and work in the US after i get my MBChB here, so, am taking Usmle step 1 in this coming August.
I'm just wondering if u could tell me when I could take my step 3? Let's say, i finish my Pre-registration house officer here, can i then come to US and take the step 3? and if i pass step 3, what do i do then? do i start residency?
do u think it's better if i stick around here and do my postgrad and only then, i come?

cheers.•

Step 3 is usually taken after beginning residency. However, each US state has its own requirements as to when you may take it. You are not required to have taken Step 3 to obtain a US residency position.

Bear in mind however, that you only have 7 years from beginning Step 1 to passing Step 3. Therefore, if you are taking Step 1 now, you will likely reach that 7 year time limit should you decide to do some training in the UK.

As far as doing training in the UK goes, also note that your training may not be accepted by the US training programs; ie, you may still need to complete the entire US track of your training. If you wish to work in the US your best bet would be to do all of your training here, or at least do an internship in the UK (getting registered so you can work there as well) and then come to the US (repeating your internship and then starting the rest of your residency).

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Hi Wonling, what uni are you at? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I'm from Birmingham Uni...
How about U? :rolleyes:

I'm in upper sixth, just about to apply in hopefully 1/2 weeks.

Hello Sita! I know you don't know me but i have the post on the BMA site moaning because i hate science :) (Matthew Jones)

Hiya Matthew, I know you...the "My annoying brain" poster on the BMA site!!
So you guessed i'm the same person lol ;).
What year are you in?

Btw check this site out if you want to talk to UK medical students/sixth formers and a whole range of other people!!

Admissions

I'm in yr 10 and i'll go and have a look at the site.

I actually mean yr 11 but for some reason i keep on saying yr 10. Don't ask y :)

hehe, perhaps because the terms just started??!!

Have you started any work experience Matthew? To be honest you should start thinking ahead now, because you'll be loaded with loads of work when you start your A levels.
What did you think of the site? Useful?

If you have any qusetions, just ask. ;)

Sorry i ain't replied for ages i just forgot to check this post and yep i still think i am a yr 10 :( . Well, i am going to try for medicine but i will have to do pre-med and i liked the site and founf it useful. I also look at UCAS aswell to look but i don't think you can search for pre-med on it. Anyway thank you! ;)