From Wake Forest to UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfdevl02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today was pretty weird...I got that damn thing from Wake Forest today telling me that i'm in the second pool to interview and so i've been pretty bummed all day today about that. BUT, I came home today to a big surprise! I hadn't checked the UCSF status page in a while so i decided to check it today and to my surprise, i was sent a secondary. The thing is, it's VERY unexpected. I'm an out of state student (from SC), Overall GPA: 3.5 (from duke) , science GPA: 3.3, and 28S MCAT. I've been reading that UC schools are notoriously bad about getting secondaries out too and that's another thing....my AMCAS wasn't received by them until 9/18 and my application was complete 10/3 so i guess a secondary after nearly 3 weeks is pretty quick for them. I can't figure this out for the life of me...maybe my application accidently fell into the 'send secondary' pile..haha.....so i guess i wanted to post this to give you guys out there hope that are still waiting on UCSF secondary cause god knows, my stats are waaaaay below their avg. I guess it really isn't all about the numbers, at least to this point...Sorry, this really made my day after hearing the disappointing news from Wake.

Surfdevl02

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really happy for you, but part of me is envious.

First, its really hard for us California residents to get spots in our own states' med schools, and it seems like you found a way to get your foot in the door, eventhough you're not from Cali. UCSF and UCLA do accept out-of-states though. More power to you, but I still am kinda envious;)

Secondly, UCSF received my AMCAS app on 8/28/02, my UC app on 9/8/02, and I STILL haven't received a secondary. I don't know whats wrong. My numbers are good: 3.92 Science GPA, 31Q on the MCAT, so I'm hoping I'll at least get a secondary.

Good luck to you though, I just hope we can be part of the 'SF class of 2007 together. :D

what's this Wake second interview group thing all about?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF loves interesting people. Overall the class has impressive stats, but there are a number of more "average" applicants that peak their interest every year. Congrats on making the first cutoff.

Paean-

Hello...thank you for your encouraging words. Do you happen to know how many applicants get interviews after receiving secondaries? i was just curious. Also, I'm from SC but i'm actually living in San Fran now doing AmeriCorps and i was curious whether students at UCSF work at the clinics in the city. I do health outreach work with the homeless at the Tom Waddell Clinic near the Civic Center and i was wondering if you guys had students come and assisted us on outreaches. I know there are some UCSF kids at the other clinics.

I hope UCSF shows me some love...it seems like a really culturally competent school and i just admire it going to work on the N-Judah (I live in Ocean Beach) everyday. How are the students there and do you find it a very sociable place? Thanks again and hopefully i'll be extending my stay in San Fran for another four years:)

P.S.to Adcadet-Apparently wake has two big groups of interviewees, the top group which is the best and brightest and the second group with people with avg numbers like myself. The lady says i may or may not get an interview..i hope that help.

surfdevl02

1400 secondaries

500 interviews

1/3-1/2 of the interviewees get offered a spot (depends on the year)

Some of us volunteer at clinics, although I don't know about Tom Waddell specifically (probably, because it was mentioned during a few of the homeless/clinic orientations, where most of us start volunteering.

If you want to talk to students, you could try dropping by the student lounge (S-245) at lunch time or in the afternoon. However, this week MS1s have exams, so we probably won't be hanging out there as much.

I really love the students there. I think it qualifies as fairly social, but since I tend to be more of a homebody, I might not be the best judge. I know that when we don't have an exam, people tend to organize non-academic events and invite everyone.

If you are in the state working, you may be considered in-state, which should help a lot with $ if you get in.

Best of luck.

I just don't get it... If "interesting" is what people want, then please explain how if someone who has a doctorate in biochem, has lived and worked overseas for a few years, a solid mcat (34R), and great LORs and ECs cannot even get his foot in the door. (this is a rhetorical question... I don't want anyone to explain...)

What is the mean, standard deviation, range, and median age at UCSF? or any UC school for that matter?

Anyhow, not to sound bitter; but UCSF was my first choice-- up until I was rejected w/o a secondary. But who knows maybe I'll do a residency there! ;-)

I think that the process is very random and to use broad generalities such as this school goes after "interesting" people or that school "uses only numbers" is dangerous especially when those generalities tend not to be true-- generally speaking of course...

Sorry to hear that, uclachris. It is totally random I guess...thanks to what you said.

If I were you, I'd definately appeal.

Originally posted by uclachris
I just don't get it... If "interesting" is what people want, then please explain how if someone who has a doctorate in biochem, has lived and worked overseas for a few years, a solid mcat (34R), and great LORs and ECs cannot even get his foot in the door. (this is a rhetorical question... I don't want anyone to explain...)

What is the mean, standard deviation, range, and median age at UCSF? or any UC school for that matter?

Anyhow, not to sound bitter; but UCSF was my first choice-- up until I was rejected w/o a secondary. But who knows maybe I'll do a residency there! ;-)

I think that the process is very random and to use broad generalities such as this school goes after "interesting" people or that school "uses only numbers" is dangerous especially when those generalities tend not to be true-- generally speaking of course...

We have people like you described in our class, but we also have people with many other experiences as well. Like Paean said, UCSF loves interesting people, and it would be pretty obvious if you were to meet some of my classmates. We have epidemiologists, ex-police sherrifs, ex-fighter pilots, people who've done extensive work in Africa, Asia, South America, people who have run clinics, etc. Most of them have the numbers to go along with it. Then there are people like myself, who are still trying to understand what it was about them that afforded them the opportunity to go to UCSF. I am amazed at how personable our class is. Here is one characteristic that we all have in common: we're all grateful not only to be at UCSF, but to be learning the science and art of medicine.

The mean age of our class is 25.something. The range is 22 to 37. I don't know what the median is, nor do I care what the standard deviation is.

I agree that broad generalizations should be avoided. The fact is that the average numbers for UCSF are on the high end, but they also tend to take people who've had atleast one year out of school developing interests and passions outside of academia (70% of our class took atleast one year off before, during, or after undergrad). I think that statistic partially explains the interesting people that go here. They've had time to do some kick-ass things. I do know this for a fact: The personal statement is HUGE in the admissions process here, and letters or rec are crucial in gaining an interview.

Dean Ralston is a nice guy (from the brief contact I've had with him)... But I really don't believe in pestering people. There are many, many more people who on paper are more qualified based on numbers alone. If the committee doesn't like me so be it. I'll get in, somewhere, I hope... I had hoped to continue some of my research projects going at a school like UCSF... What are the chances that UCLA even looks at my application-- still no secondary from them either!

Anyway, good luck to all!

C

Hey Souljah1-
I think i asked Paen this earlier but what do you do on your free time outside of classes? Do you happen to know a Neil Gupta in your class...he went to school with me at duke and graduated last year but i'm not sure if he's doing a fulbright or if he's there this year. Are you from the San Fran area? I live near UCSF in ocean beach so i know the cost of living here, do you guys have places subsidized by the school? I love the area but sometimes the fog and cloudiness can get on my last nerve...weird how in San Fran you can get different weather every mile or two that you drive. That doesn't happen in SC...

surfdevl02

P.S.-does anyone know if UCSD accepts out of state applicants?

hey uclachris,

I am in the same boat.

Doctorate, currently doing Alzheimer's research, previous endocrinology research, etc...

Significant amount of non-academic experiences and similar stats....

Haven't heard from SF, LA, or SD yet... would love the research opportunities...

Have you interviewed yet? Just wondering if you've found a sympathetic school yet?

Seems like you'd be an optimal candidate.

-neo:D

Hey Neo...you're from SB. I go to UC Santa Barbara, you wouldn't by any chance gotten your doctorate there?

Also, Dr. John Lew, Biochemistry professor, is doing his research on Alzheimer's. Did you work with him? He is an awesome professor!

I recently interviewed at UCSF. I have a 3.85 and 11, 14, Q, 14 MCAT. I'm also "interesting" (as I think everyone on this forum is by default of being individuals). I also got rejected from Stanford pre interview, post secondary. I think that we have to put a little bit of faith in the process and accept that these schools have an idea of who they are looking for and everythin gis a two way street. If you get rejected, then you probably would not have fit in as well as you will to the school you end up at.

Anyway, it's just my 2 cents. It's hard to figure out how they make all of these decisions that have the potential to change our lives, but we don't have much of a say so so be it, right?

which school was this?

Originally posted by smid
If you get rejected, then you probably would not have fit in as well as you will to the school you end up at.

come on now, let's quit putting such a pretty face on this process. i think it is perfectly reasonable to assert that they made a mistake by rejecting someone who would love to go to their school and that you could have been happiest where you were rejected. if i get rejected from where i really want to go, i am not going to say that it was good fortune

Originally posted by surfdevl02
The lady says i may or may not get an interview..

very honest and informative of that lady