californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hey, sdners! Does anyone have any information on the airlines Fronteir and Spirit. Should I steer clear from them or do you think it'll be okay to fly for a dental school interview? Thanks!!

Mar 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
i actually have a flight with Spirit tomorrow and a flight with frontier next week. so I'll let you know then. From what i have heard they're pretty crappy airlines but they are cheap. As long as i make it to where I'm going that's all i care about.

OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
i actually have a flight with Spirit tomorrow and a flight with frontier next week. so I'll let you know then. From what i have heard they're pretty crappy airlines but they are cheap. As long as i make it to where I'm going that's all i care about.
Sounds good, man. Yeah, a flight to Mineapolis on Spirit is only $150. Please let me know how your flight with Fronteir went, if you don't mind. Thanks!

stoopidmonkeycatdog

2+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I've flown frontier before, and while they're obviously a lower tier airline out went completely fine and I would definitely fly with them again.

Also I think they actually allow you to have a personal item and carry on as opposed to spirit.

Reactions: californiway21
OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Did you get an interview date at MN? Wondering when they start offering. Not to be nosy ;)
They offered me October 3rd and I emailed them back saying that'll work fine just this morning.

Reactions: noodles9
OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Spirit charges you to check a bag, which isn't broadcast and adds to the cost of the flight. Definitely a lower tier airline, but it will get you where you need to go. Bring a book, there's no in flight magazines or anything to distract you from the tight quarters!
Oh, yeah. I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

frozenicecreamDMD

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2016
Status
Dental Student
spirit is the most crappy airline I ever used. I swear to god I never use them again. If you want to bring a suitcase as a carry on, you will still have to pay. only way you don't pay is to bring a small backpack that can fit under the seat (which is nearly impossible with the suit and shoes).

so if you dont know this exist and show up at airport, you pay double the price to bring a carry on at the gate vs. you buy it online (say you pay 50$ to bring one carry on on the flight online, you will pay 100$ at the gate). this is EACH way only. so round trip you will need to add 100$ for the ticket. THEN, spirit airline ticket is not that cheap with crappy service The flights are usually late. Last time, my spirit flight is late 4 hrs on the return trip and the flight is only 50 min.

so just ditch some more money to go any other airlines except spirit. what a stupid and lame airline.

P/S: the price of carry on online varies as the dates approach the date of the fly. if you buy the carry on online 2 weeks before the flight, its like 30-40$, but if you buy it 2 days ahead (cuz you just found out and didn't know), you pay near 50$. too many unhidden fee, which can be seen as a scam.

OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
spirit is the most crappy airline I ever used. I swear to god I never use them again. If you want to bring a suitcase as a carry on, you will still have to pay. only way you don't pay is to bring a small backpack that can fit under the seat (which is nearly impossible with the suit and shoes).

so if you dont know this exist and show up at airport, you pay double the price to bring a carry on at the gate vs. you buy it online (say you pay 50$ to bring one carry on on the flight online, you will pay 100$ at the gate). this is EACH way only. so round trip you will need to add 100$ for the ticket. THEN, spirit airline ticket is not that cheap with crappy service The flights are usually late. Last time, my spirit flight is late 4 hrs on the return trip and the flight is only 50 min.

so just ditch some more money to go any other airlines except spirit. what a stupid and lame airline.

P/S: the price of carry on online varies as the dates approach the date of the fly. if you buy the carry on online 2 weeks before the flight, its like 30-40$, but if you buy it 2 days ahead (cuz you just found out and didn't know), you pay near 50$. too many unhidden fee, which can be seen as a scam.
Thank you for your input.

OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Omg. My interview date is the same as when the Vikings play Monday Night Football so the hotel rates are through the roof. Any advice?

htdt

5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
For folks that are interviewing at UMN, try to look at Sun Country Airlines. You can fly from most major airports in the West Coast to Minneapolis for a pretty affordable price. Their service is not as good as big airlines like Delta, but definitely better than Spirit.

Dec 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental, Other Health Professions Student
They're both equally godawful. Choose the one with prettier colors.
Frontier uses slimline seats so it's like sitting on bleachers so if you're going for more than 2 hours, I'd avoid them.
Neither has customer service (seriously, they don't even have a number to call), both have a good chance of being delayed, and both are among the least pleasurable travel experiences, but they sure are cheap.
And they're marching toward a merger in the next few years so soon you won't have to choose!

If you book with either of them, don't pay for the carry on. I've never been stopped to measure my luggage or backpack + suit bag in my life. Just take the free personal item choice.

Dec 12, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental, Other Health Professions Student
So if you fly spirit, do you wear your suit onto the flight so as to not pay the checked bag fee?
I take my backpack/luggage + suit-bag. Just walk on like you own the place. No one's ever hassled me or anyone I'm with about the bag restriction. It would take really weird airline agent to argue over a suit.

OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
I booked with American Airlines. Thanks for all the replies!

wysdoc

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Hey, sdners! Does anyone have any information on the airlines Fronteir and Spirit. Should I steer clear from them or do you think it'll be okay to fly for a dental school interview? Thanks!!
Does Southwest Airlines serve any of your routes? They have good customer service and won't leave you stranded

Reactions: xerxes106
OP
californiway21

californiway21

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Does Southwest Airlines serve any of your routes? They have good customer service and won't leave you stranded
No, unfortunately, and I was trying to look for them. I'll most likely carry on my suit because that is the one thing I can't lose.

Reactions: wysdoc