Frowning upon their own undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KDMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although the medical school of my undergrad university was previously very generous to its undergrad applicants, this year seemed to be quite different. The AdCom refused interviews to numerous applicants who were very well qualified (as evidenced by not only statistics, but also numerous other interviews these students received at schools like Duke, Penn, WashU, Columbia, and Yale). In addition, the school was extremely rude when it came to communicating with applicants (they actually hung up on me once when I contacted the Admissions Office). Has anyone else felt betrayed by the medical school of their undergrad university?

I still believe that this is a fine institution at which to earn an MD, but unfortunately, I am left disappointed in my university by its unduly harsh treatment of its undergrad (almost alumni) students.

Members don't see this ad.

Duke is fond of its own undergrads--I think they take around 30 per year.

same with ucla, 30 people...but no love here...a pre-secondary rejection!!! hmph!

Members don't see this ad :)
Add UF to your list. I think we Gators have b!tched enough about UF.

Movin' on to greener pastures!

I understand that Stanford is not that fond of their own undergrads.

Swampman I don't think we can bitch enough about UF.

Unless of course they accept me. :wink:

I concur that Stanford is definitely not generous with their own undergrads. true, it's a small class, but only 1 or 2 get in every year, and that's from an really really large applicant pool of Stanford grads. fine with me, i'd rather not pay yet another four years of $35k+++++++ per year.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by amp:
•I concur that Stanford is definitely not generous with their own undergrads. true, it's a small class, but only 1 or 2 get in every year, and that's from an really really large applicant pool of Stanford grads. fine with me, i'd rather not pay yet another four years of $35k+++++++ per year.•••••I saw a list of undergrad schools represented by the incomming students at Stanford med school, and I don't remember seeing any second-tier undergrad schools, and yes a very small number of Stanford undergrads were represented. There were quite a few from Penn, Harvard, Princeton, and all the other cream of cream schools.

stanford is weird that way. even though the med school and the undergrad campus are literally across the street from each other, they're very isolated. the entire med center is run as a separate entity. and from what i've seen of the way the departments are run here, they are also fragmented. not a lot of community, just a lot of politicking. maybe the faculty consist of a lot of ivy league alums, so that's who they pick for the new class? who knows. the school is also physically run-down, which doesn't make it a bad school or anything, but it makes you wonder how stanford could let that happen when the rest of the campus is kept up so beautifully. i think when the new med school building is completed it will be even harder to get in.

Definitely feel betrayed by Michigan State! I applied to both MSU's MD and DO school. Rejected from the DO school, and "put on [eternal] hold before interview" from the MD school. My stats, though not awesome, exceed the average in all areas for both schools.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KDMD:
•Although the medical school of my undergrad university was previously very generous to its undergrad applicants, this year seemed to be quite different. The AdCom refused interviews to numerous applicants who were very well qualified (as evidenced by not only statistics, but also numerous other interviews these students received at schools like Duke, Penn, WashU, Columbia, and Yale). In addition, the school was extremely rude when it came to communicating with applicants (they actually hung up on me once when I contacted the Admissions Office). Has anyone else felt betrayed by the medical school of their undergrad university?

I still believe that this is a fine institution at which to earn an MD, but unfortunately, I am left disappointed in my university by its unduly harsh treatment of its undergrad (almost alumni) students.•••••Is that Cornell?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SMW:
•I understand that Stanford is not that fond of their own undergrads.•••••stanford is not fond of any undergrad!! lol hehe

Hey The Wonderer--While I didn't mention my university's name, all I can say is that they are actively recruiting teaching assistants for Qatar from their pre-med undergrads after having sent the "Big Red rejection" to most of them without offering any interviews.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KDMD:
•Hey The Wonderer--While I didn't mention my university's name, all I can say is that they are actively recruiting teaching assistants for Qatar from their pre-med undergrads after having sent the "Big Red rejection" to most of them without offering any interviews.•••••Uhm....THAT medschool.... oh.....

I happened to graduate from THAT school. If you go to premed office and pull out the accept sheets with withdrawal/matriculate info, you will find premeds who get into Duke, Penn, Columbia, etc. tend to have 3.8+ and 35+ but those who get into THAT medschool have stats all over the place, from 3.4 to 4.0 and 29 to 40 MCAT. I don't know what they are trying. But the year I applied, they still used to give interviews to every undergrad. And I know friends who now end up at Columbia, Penn, Yale and Duke that year got peeved because their own alma mater put them on waitlist until June before pulling them off. One friend of mine who applied this past year, got into one of the above med schools but did not get invited even to interview at THAT med school (that year is the first time they stop interviewing all undergrads).

Anyway, I have rambled. I have to agree with you that is a very frustrating situation. Honestly, I feel that they should change their admission policy. They seem to be looking for something weird and it is evident that they don't accept the same people who get into other med schools such Columbia, Penn, Duke, etc. and those people will jump the ship. But in the end, it is noteworthy that a couple of my friends who are New Yorkers and jumped the ship now regreted that they should have just taken that acceptance off the waitlist at THAT medschool. They rather be in NYC afterall even though they are now at other excellent schools in the Northeast.

The whole admissions process can get random and "personal" at times, esp. when you get 3.95 and 37 MCAT and still get waitlisted by your alma mater (or for another friend of mine, rejected w/o interview with 3.9 and 39). However, you just gotta suck it up and decide solely on where you will be happiest at!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by amp:
•I concur that Stanford is definitely not generous with their own undergrads. true, it's a small class, but only 1 or 2 get in every year, and that's from an really really large applicant pool of Stanford grads. fine with me, i'd rather not pay yet another four years of $35k+++++++ per year.•••••That's actually not true. If you look at the undergrad schools represented by each entering class at Stanford med, by far the most represented are those who went to Stanford undergrad. Out of a class of only 86, anywhere around 15-23 in each entering class in the last several years were from Stanford undergrad. If you look at the numbers of applicants applied and accepted, it usually comes out to be approximately a 10% acceptance rate for Stanford grads, as opposed to an overall 3% acceptance rate.

It just seems like they don't accept anyone because their class size is so small and there are so many pre-meds at Stanford! :)