SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

frustrated....orthopedics research

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bigman43, Apr 26, 2007.

1. bigman43

bigman43 Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2007
    alright so I know one of the unspoken requirements of getting into med school is to do research.

I am really really passionnate about orthopedics, so I really want to research in orhopedics. (really really really)

i live in new york, so there are many opportunities here, however, I dont know how to do go about asking around for opportunities. Does anyone get what i mean? If I was a doctor conducting cutting edge research in medicine, why the hell would I want the help of some lowlife undergrad?

any advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Carrboro, NC
    1) there's always scut work to do
    2) it's free labor

Senior faculty might not have the time for you, but a lot of time junior faculty members have new grants and a lot of good ideas. Sometimes they just need another mind/pair of hands to pursue a certain project.

However, good mentoring does take time so you need to find someone willing. Send some emails. Just remember that they all got their start where you are right now, and that a lot of people actually like teaching. You'll find something. Good luck

4. Wahoos

Wahoos Member SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Hey Bigman, its great that you really want to do orthopaedics as a profession. In terms of research. I have a 1st year medical student and another undergrad working with me on a couple of projects, one of which was just accepted for presentation to an National Meeting. If you were in the New England area, I would help you out. But since you are in New York, I would suggest emailing some of the attendings or residents directly about research opportunities in Orthopedic surgery. I always like to have a student on an project with me, just because it is a good learning opportunity for them and I get some help with the scut work. Plus I was just in their shoes not too long ago and it is always nice to return the favor.

So what I would do if I were you, go to www.orthogate.com, find an poster there with the handle wvlevine. He is the residency program director for Columbia Orthopedics program. Email him directly and ask him if he or any of his residents would have research opportunities that you can help out with. Tell him what your time committment is and I am sure that he will email you back. This guy, Dr. Levine is very involved in education. Another way, is go to the orthopedic resident discussion forum, start an topic asking any of the New York City Ortho residents would like some help with their projects.... If you do both of the above two thing, I can almost gurantee you that you will be able to find a Ortho related project in New York City. You have to go out and pursue the opportunities by putting your self out there and emailing people. Don't be afraid of being rejected because someone will give you the opportunity.

Good Luck with everything.
    You can PM me if you have any Qs.

5. degoo_

degoo_ 2+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Ontario
    SDN post of the year...

6. blargh

blargh Banned Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    last year, i applied to and was accepted to an NYU orthopedics research program (NYU-HJMD). you might want to look into that... it's not very hard to get, i think, but the only downside is that they're a relatively small program with a small stipend ($1000). otherwise, it's a really great orthopedics-targeted research program. every friday, you shadow an ortho surgeon in the OR. hope that helps!

another thing i thought i'd add - if you can't get your foot in the door in academic research, you can always try working at a biotech company. that's how i got my start. like all jobs, it started with scutwork, but once you pay your dues and prove you're valuable, people will trust you to run your own projects. they stop thinking "why the hell would I want the help of some lowlife undergrad" and start seeing you as really cheap (qualified) labor. plus, you get PAID unlike alot of undergrads on campus.