Frustrated with Business Majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stop Whining, OP. You wont get any sympathy for studying harder, not partying etc. Suck up or get out. There are people out there who do not know how many meals they will have in any given day. Then there are we, pre-meds, who cannot stop crying about how brutal our medical training is.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Multi-variable Calculus, with Diff Eqs and Linear Algebra thrown in, and Logic/Proofs

Multi/Logic (in my case it was called Numbers and Polynomials) were the first math classes I took my first semester of my freshman year. That would be like me comparing some 200-level philosophy class to Algebraic Topology. Apples to apples, I would have to go with math (but I may be biased).

Last edited:
As a Biochemistry and Business double major, I think I should chime in here. I've found Business courses to be at least, if not more challenging than my science classes. In fact, since I've been in the Bschool, my science GPA has been a 3.9 and my Business GPA a 3.7. I do go to a top Business program, and the Business workload exceeds most of the science classes. There are two other premeds in my Bschool classes, and both of them broke 40 on their MCATs.

I feel like you don't really need to think all that much in science classes, as long as you have a good memory (there are exceptions). Most science exams are pretty obvious as long as you memorize the material.

And Business majors are expected to socialize as it's essential to their success. It's part of the Bureaucratic Ethic.

depends on the school. some schools weed out premeds, others weed out business majors. its pretty weird to make a blind internet comparison. college is really cliquey though. people stick their racial groups, majors, etc. always comparing who had the tougher course in life. its nice to have a chex mix of all.

Who cares? The average business major might be lucky to make $100k/year by the time they're 40 years old. I'd kill myself if I had to file TPS reports and do PowerPoint presentations on synergy for 20 years.

Goddammit, I hate that word. And Palm had to go and name their new mobile OS, the one on the Pre which I'm going to be jumping come release day, exactly that. :laugh:

Upper level humanities courses are difficult. More difficult than any science or math course I've taken.

Relativism indeed... my original degree was in a soft science, and I'm pursuing a second one in biomedical sciences if I'm gonna have to reapply, and in no way was that true for me.

i personally like business majors in my class since they usually give the curve a big boost. unfortunately you don't find many of them in science or math classes.

haha...soo true

I was a pre-med and had just as much time to party as business majors (as well as play literally countless hours of xbox). its all how you priortize, and how effecient you are. an yes i'll be going to med school in 5 months. If your smart every major can be easy, if your not, you just bi*ch and moan about how hard you have it compared to others.

riiiiight... every major can be easy, especially if youre not passing! ( not YOUR specifically) EE ME Physics... ANE all easy!! :)

The what majors? Sorry, never heard of it. I must have been too busy, you know, getting into med school and all that jazz.

Guys, just a suggestion: don't carry these prejudices against business majors to your interviews. Business majors used to be quite rare in medical school - but now we're not. And you probably won't know until too late what a 4th year student sitting-in on your interview had as an undergraduate major.

Personally, before medical school I was a Certified Public Accountant with a Master's Degree in Taxation. I assure you, I worked my a** off. 20 years later, I took all my med school pre-requisites at night while still in practice as a CPA in administration at a large health system. That was no walk in the park, either, believe me - especially since I had to compete successfully against you undergraduate science majors. And I was old.

One last thought: if the business majors getting to party bothers you, you may want to think twice about med school. Everyone you know in their 20s will be starting careers and buying toys and houses - while you will have no social life whatsoever for 7-9 YEARS. Don't minimize this - sometimes during finals week when I passed someone in the grocery store who was laughing, I wanted to grab them by the throat and ask, "Do you have any IDEA of what I'm going through?"

Last edited:
Guys, just a suggestion: don't carry these prejudices against business majors to your interviews. Business majors used to be quite rare in medical school - but now we're not. And you probably won't know until too late what a 4th year student sitting-in on your interview had as an undergraduate major.

Personally, before medical school I was a Certified Public Accountant with a Master's Degree in Taxation. I assure you, I worked my a** off. 20 years later, I took all my med school pre-requisites at night while still in practice as a CPA in administration at a large health system. That was no walk in the park, either, believe me - especially since I had to compete successfully against you undergraduate science majors. And I was old.

One last thought: if the business majors getting to party bothers you, you may want to think twice about med school. Everyone you know in their 20s will be starting careers and buying toys and houses - while you will have no social life whatsoever for 7-9 YEARS. Don't minimize this - sometimes during finals week when I passed someone in the grocery store who was laughing, I wanted to grab them by the throat and ask, "Do you have any IDEA of what I'm going through?"

I like apples.

depends on the school. some schools weed out premeds, others weed out business majors. its pretty weird to make a blind internet comparison. college is really cliquey though. people stick their racial groups, majors, etc. always comparing who had the tougher course in life. its nice to have a chex mix of all.

It's funny because college was the one place where I felt "cliques" were non-existant. It was nice to interact with a broad spectrum of people instead of shutting yourself out with people with a common interest/background. Not that there is anything wrong with that though.

Back on topic, there are probably some business classes that would make some science majors tremble and there are probably some science classes that business majors can still ace so there are shades of gray within everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anyone else found it annoying at times when they are just getting ready to spend a 6 hour night at the library on a Monday while all the business majors (the same ones every time) are getting ready to go out after a full day of playing XBOX.

Sounds like my typical routine and I'm no business major.

As a Biochemistry and Business double major, I think I should chime in here. I've found Business courses to be at least, if not more challenging than my science classes. In fact, since I've been in the Bschool, my science GPA has been a 3.9 and my Business GPA a 3.7. I do go to a top Business program, and the Business workload exceeds most of the science classes. There are two other premeds in my Bschool classes, and both of them broke 40 on their MCATs.

I feel like you don't really need to think all that much in science classes, as long as you have a good memory (there are exceptions). Most science exams are pretty obvious as long as you memorize the material.

And Business majors are expected to socialize as it's essential to their success. It's part of the Bureaucratic Ethic.

I just graduated in business, going to med school in the fall. When everything is boiled down, this is the basic difference in the methods of being successful in the different fields. Science classes require a lot of memorization. It takes time to memorize, and (more or less) you know when you understand the material and can do well on tests.

In the business world, it's much more subjective. They don't know for sure if they've put enough effort into a project or report to warrant an "A," expecially when you are being graded relative to what your peers can produce. The very best businessman are, in reality (and statistically) "B" students. Their goals are "higher" than an academic grade. They understand that getting a deal done relys heavily on whether or not the other party goes along with it or not.

I couldn't say that either program at my University was harder or easier, but they were very different. IMO, it doesn't do anyone any good (especially yourself) when you compare yourself to others, and then complain about how they might have it easier. If you don't like where you're at, do something about it and change. If you do like where you are at, then don't worry about what everyone else is doing.

i hear you. they seem to enjoy life a lot :-/

what annoys me more is that most bus. majors i know really, truly believe the classes they are taking are just as hard if not harder than the science courses.

I wouldnt say that their goals are lower, just that their path is easier (collegewise).

I think its goes like this in difficulty engineering/math>premed>>business(accounting finance etc.)>humanities.

Uhhhhh no.

Academic majors in the humanities or social sciences are not automatically 'easier' to do than other things.

Academs don't usually benefit from the 'curve' that a lot of science classes get.

I think you'd enjoy the song "Terminal Preppie."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B84tIOhnXnM

"My ambition in life
Is to look good on paper
All I want is a slot
In some big corporation

No, I'm not here to learn
I just want to get drunk
And major in business
And be taught how to f***"

i hear you. they seem to enjoy life a lot :-/

what annoys me more is that most bus. majors i know really, truly believe the classes they are taking are just as hard if not harder than the science courses.

If anything the math/engineering/physical sciences majors should be pissed that they are competing with people having it easy with a bio major.

If anything the math/engineering/physical sciences majors should be pissed that they are competing with people having it easy with a bio major.

Agreed. Most pre-med majors are a joke compared to those.

Is anyone else out there always in studying while the business majors are constantly out screwing around because their goals are no where near as high? There are somedays where I really feel discouraged from studying because of this garbage. Maybe it's just me.

to a be a succesful buisness man, you dont need a degree. most of these clowns will be doing other stuff in 10 years.. the real buisness men are already making money even before college

I think you'd enjoy the song "Terminal Preppie."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B84tIOhnXnM

"My ambition in life
Is to look good on paper
All I want is a slot
In some big corporation

No, I'm not here to learn
I just want to get drunk
And major in business
And be taught how to f***"

I thought I was the only DK fan on SND...Weird. Love that song/album.

Anyways, it really depends on the school. Further, different subjects are hard/easy to different people. Some see math as no problem, others struggle to do a couple problems.

Some people like to pawn the humanities off as "easy." I kind of disagree. With math and science most of the time you are either "right" or "wrong" That is not so with a subject such as English. What is a masterpiece to some, is a piece of crud to another. A student may write what is an "A" paper to one professor, and is a "C" to another. Get my drift?

Business is kind of weird because it can be kind of a mix between math and the above. But there are the stereotypical business majors, just like there are stereotypical pre-meds with pocket-protectors and thick glasses. It does not make either one accurate.

Yea I definitely agree.
I am a business major and cell,molev bio major.
The classes are challenging in their own ways; more so than you probably think!

Either way, I think being able to study in both areas allows me to understand both side a little easier.

I'm not going to lie though.....I spent much more time studying for my science classes, and yet still did better in my business classes =/

I thought I was the only DK fan on SND...Weird. Love that song/album.

Anyways, it really depends on the school. Further, different subjects are hard/easy to different people. Some see math as no problem, others struggle to do a couple problems.

Some people like to pawn the humanities off as "easy." I kind of disagree. With math and science most of the time you are either "right" or "wrong" That is not so with a subject such as English. What is a masterpiece to some, is a piece of crud to another. A student may write what is an "A" paper to one professor, and is a "C" to another. Get my drift?

Business is kind of weird because it can be kind of a mix between math and the above. But there are the stereotypical business majors, just like there are stereotypical pre-meds with pocket-protectors and thick glasses. It does not make either one accurate.