Frustrated with M1 curriculum

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
  1. Attending Physician
    Biochem should get like a month. 2.5 weeks is ridiculous. In that case just make it self-study, give everyone the lectures in video format and have them just show up for the exam. Done and move on.

I mean, that's basically what I did. I didn't go to class, podcasted the lectures and studied the syllabus.

:eyebrow: Seriously? How could that possibly be construed as minutiae? The professor would have to be pretty incompetent to not emphasize the importance of that...and true. While I'm sure there is plenty of info we learn that we won't use, we don't know what that info is until we actually start practicing/start residency. I just assume that the vast majority of info is somehow relevant and only skip stuff that is obviously moot (like the percentage of primary care physicians in 2012, which actually ended up being a test question...).

Beats me. That thread is probably hanging around here.

The fun has been had. In the midst of my two weeks off between blocks - thank god.

You get 2 weeks off between blocks?!?!??! Damn...

We have a "week off" of rotations next week, but the week consists of full days of geriatrics lectures and workshops, with an exam on Friday. Nothing like getting a little breather halfway through MS3 /sarcasm.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I think people use much more of MS1/2 than they realize. It teaches you the language of medicine, its rules, its grammar, its vocabulary.

The 50-60% that's truly important for YOU will be different from what matters to someone else. Even the rest of it you forget still leaves behind a framework understanding that you can use to re-learn whatever pieces become important later on. I remember one of our senior radiology professors telling us that he and all the other students used to HATE cross-sectional anatomy in the cadaver lab and would often complain that they would never need to know it because they would be seeing whole patients, not just slices of them. And then CTs and MRIs were invented. Hard to say what will be minutiae and what will really matter when we finish training.
      Varies by specialty for sure. For someone going into EM, Histology is not important. For someone going into Path Histology is definitely important.

About the Ads

WillburCobb

I am the pull out king
      Removed
      5+ Year Member
      Aug 20, 2010
      The grandest of eating utensils
      1. Medical Student
        You get 2 weeks off between blocks?!?!??! Damn...

We have a "week off" of rotations next week, but the week consists of full days of geriatrics lectures and workshops, with an exam on Friday. Nothing like getting a little breather halfway through MS3 /sarcasm.
        11 days if you pass otherwise you have to do "special studies" week.

chizledfrmstone

Enjoying the finer things in life
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Oct 5, 2007
        Midwest, USA
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Ours was 2.5 weeks, and our immuno course was only 2 weeks. Our anatomy/musculoskeletal was also only 4ish weeks long, so I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked about biochem being so short...

The biochem is kinda buried in other places. I mean we had a mito lecture in MSK. We also had that one immuno lecture in MSK.

cbrons

10+ Year Member
          Jul 29, 2007
          Jungle
          1. Attending Physician
            Follow the cbrons philosophy for getting thru M1 and M2: fly above ground but below radar.

Above ground bc you want to keep yourself moving as quickly as possible to do what you need to do to get through. Below radar because you want to steer clear of being known as a complainer or troublemaker by admin, who can often ruin your career if you make things difficult for them.

Instead of complain about the trash activities, find cleaver ways to skip them or get away w minimal work required.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 4 users

cbrons

10+ Year Member
            Jul 29, 2007
            Jungle
            1. Attending Physician
              8 hours of non-lecture material is nothing, and I'm pretty sure every school has something similar as I believe group work is an LCME requirement or something. If you have an issue with your facilitator, consider talking about it with the course director. CBL/PBL/whatever is better for some people than others, just like lectures are better for some people than others. Different learning styles. Just keep your head down and bear through it, it's only 8 hours a week. And there's really no immediate need for an MS1 to learn pharm unless your school is completely systems based and you are doing physio and path now too. Pharm goes hand in hand with those things, not with anatomy and biochem and all those basic sciences that most med schools have in MS1. We do a basic pharm intro course in MS1 but the bulk of it is MS2.

Ehh...not really. You definitely learn a lot in rotations, but it's a different kind of learning and a different kind of "important." You need a solid pre-clinical foundation in order to learn what you need to learn on rotations. If you don't know the physiology, pathology, and pharmacology come 3rd year, you will flounder when it comes to applying that knowledge to patient care. 3rd and 4th year is all about learning what to do and when to do it, but you need to already have the knowledge about why it happened, what it could be, and how you could treat it. I know doctors like to throw out these random percentages of "what they use from pre-clinical" but you use much more than you think you do.
              Goljan always said if you want to be a good doctor you need an excellent grasp of the basic sciences. He gave a speech about it at AMSA last year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

AlbinoHawk DO

An Osteopath
              7+ Year Member
            • Oct 19, 2013
              1. Non-Student
                My school is a giant waste of time too. I just hope to make it through this and move on with my life. I don't necessarily regret medical school, but I do think it is a lot worse than I had thought it would be and not necessary due to the science but rather the other crap trying to be piled on.

Reactions: 8 users
                About the Ads

Roxas

Giggity!
                7+ Year Member
                Jul 5, 2012
                Twilight Town
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  My school is a giant waste of time too. I just hope to make it through this and move on with my life. I don't necessarily regret medical school, but I do think it is a lot worse than I had thought it would be and not necessary due to the science but rather the other crap trying to be piled on.
                  That really sucks man. I wanted to avoid BS like that like the plague so I talked to as many current students as I could before I settled on a school. So far we haven't had too much of that, but it's unfortunate that so many students have to deal with that along with the rigor of M1/M2

th3v3rn

5+ Year Member
                  Oct 26, 2013
                  1. Medical Student
                    So interesting. These past few weeks we have spent 0 hrs on OMM. And before that it was maybe 2 hrs a week. I hope it does pick up but I also got the vibe before I came here that they were not to heavy on OMM.

Reactions: 1 users

chizledfrmstone

Moderator Emeritus
                    10+ Year Member
                    Oct 5, 2007
                    Midwest, USA
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      So interesting. These past few weeks we have spent 0 hrs on OMM. And before that it was maybe 2 hrs a week. I hope it does pick up but I also got the vibe before I came here that they were not to heavy on OMM.

I remember interviewing at DMU and seeing how much they were into the whole DO and OMM thing.

KCUMB was a bit more laid back. Btw, we got new tables!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users

th3v3rn

5+ Year Member
                      Oct 26, 2013
                      1. Medical Student
                        I remember interviewing at DMU and seeing how much they were into the whole DO and OMM thing.

KCUMB was a bit more laid back. Btw, we got new tables!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yea me too. I remember DMU saying they are pretty into it and that was a big deciding factor for a lot of students I talked to. DMU is awesome don't get me wrong but that is not a good reason imho.

cbrons

10+ Year Member
                        Jul 29, 2007
                        Jungle
                        1. Attending Physician

Why would you want them to increase the amount of OMM they make you do? Most DO students I know hate OMM and find it to be a waste of time.

Reactions: 1 user

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
                          7+ Year Member
                          May 15, 2011
                          1. Attending Physician

What the hell...

I just spent a month out at a small town/rural clinic with primarily DO residents. There were a couple OMT lectures that we had to participate in...this was included, along with some kind of thing with the pubic symphysis. THAT was awkward. You could tell who the MD medical students and residents were because the DO's were completely unfazed.

Ibn Alnafis MD

10+ Year Member
                            Dec 26, 2008
                            Where the past and the future intersect
                            forums.studentdoctor.net
                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                              I strongly share your sentiment. It's these courses and activities that makes med school unbearable.

chizledfrmstone

Moderator Emeritus
                              10+ Year Member
                              Oct 5, 2007
                              Midwest, USA
                              1. Resident [Any Field]
                                You haven't had the pleasure? :laugh:

Also I'm pretty sure that's at my school

I knew the background looked familiar!

I just spent a month out at a small town/rural clinic with primarily DO residents. There were a couple OMT lectures that we had to participate in...this was included, along with some kind of thing with the pubic symphysis. THAT was awkward. You could tell who the MD medical students and residents were because the DO's were completely unfazed.

There's a lot of touching in DO schools. We stop caring after a while.

Hopefully you get paired with the opposite sex when you do this

It's random. Ever do sacral rocking on a 240 lbs 6'3'' guy?

NontradCA

American Hero
                                Removed
                                7+ Year Member
                                Sep 19, 2012
                                Trump Tower
                                1. Medical Student
                                  Why would you want them to increase the amount of OMM they make you do? Most DO students I know hate OMM and find it to be a waste of time.
                                  I don't buy into OMM, but it bothers me we don't do it enough because I find it rather hypocritical. It cheapens the degree when there's only lip service to OMM. It's the defining difference between MD and DO schools, but here I am doing other things twice as much. Why do something half assed? To keep up the proliferation of schools and administrators? I sure as **** didn't come to school to do that.

OMM would be better if there was actual effort involved. Take that damn money and put it into research instead of lining pockets. I better stop, because I can go on forever. We do have some great people in the faculty and what bothers me the most is I feel their wasted. Ah well. C'est la vie. I'm gonna duck and cover like you suggested.

Jumpstartmy5HT

7+ Year Member
                                  Aug 2, 2013
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    I feel you, OP. My school has lots of mandatory small group activities that seem like busy work a lot of the times too, and they're made worse by some annoying characters in some of my groups. It is what it is though. Gotta do it.

About the Ads
                                    This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                    7. This thread is locked.