1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Frustrated

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by ih2183, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ih2183

Pre-Medical
    MCAT study material is astronomical. The material I studied weeks ago are forgotten, especially if you're on the 3 month SN2ed workplan. Anyone have a condensed plan or schedule so that material seems fresh?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Majik

You didn't forget it, it's still there. You need to unlock it by doing practice passages. However, in the rare event that you did forget stuff you knew really well, I highly encourage you do passages to reinforce what you learn. You'll remember it so much better and longer!

4. ih2183

Pre-Medical
    theres like a finite amount of passages. where can i find more passages?

5. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

If you use SN2ed's study plan, that is at least 1000 passages. The BR science materials in the plan are 600 passages by themselves. Add in the PR verbal book and supp passage book and the EK 101 verbal book, and you have over 1000 passages. And that's without taking practice exams. In 90 days, you'd have to average over 11 passages a day to finish all of that.

Are you seriously out of passages following the SN2ed schedule?

6. ih2183

Pre-Medical

Good point. I meant, instead of the three month workout, would you recommend an accelerated self study plan?

7. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

I always recommend a tailored study plan. SN2ed's plan is excellent overall and it provides an excellent general approach. It's the best plan out there and has worked well for many, many self-studiers the last few years. But despite its excellence, everyone needs to customize it based on their available study hours, strengths, weaknesses, and innate test taking skills.

For instance, if you are really good at general chemistry, then you should skip the reading for those sections and go straight to passages. Getting ready for this test requires working through as many passages as it takes to be comfortable and confident on the exam.

For most people, reading the chapters builds their information base and confidence so they can attack passages, which in turn hones the information in and allows them to build their test-taking repertoire. If you are good at the information to begin with and can accept that the first few passages are learning tools rather than diagnostic tools (in other words, don't take the scores personally), then you can expedite the process.

If you want to accelerate your timeline, skip the reading.

8. eikenhein

eikenhein Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    seriously, if you feel like the MCAT is a lot of material.. you are going to get destroyed as a medical student.

9. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    werd

10. ih2183

Pre-Medical
    not quite,

medicine is what i ultimately want to do. I don't believe the MCAT is a good enough test for medical admission.

11. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think people are talking about the validity of the mcat for medical admissions.

They are just warning that if the amount of material on the MCAT seems "astronomical" then you might find the amount of material in medical school to be far more overwhelming.

12. geeyouknit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is there a situation where med school is easy if you thought the MCAT wasn't a lot to handle? I think you can still feel the MCAT's are a pain in the ass and still be able to handle med school. Whether you guys admit it or not, you might have felt the same way when you were prepping for the mcats.