Frustrating lab situation...anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saveourpens

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so my supervisor last week happily tells me that I would finally get to start my own project, after doing months of scut work, learning the techniques, and the background for the lab. I thought I was doing great.

I then didn't come to the lab for a week because I had a bunch of midterms. I warned them beforehand that I wouldn't be able to show up.

She it's completely OK for me to do that. Fast forward to the following week and as soon as I walk she ushers me to a private room so we can have a "talk".

She says it has nothing to do with my absence. She goes on to pretty much rip my to shreds, telling me if I worked alone I'd have to be baby sat, that I'm not interested enough, that I'm far away from doing any sort of project by myself.

What could account for her telling me one day that I will start my own project and the very next time I see her, proclaiming that I'm no where near it?

The only explanation I have is that she interpereted my one week devoted to studying as not being commited enough to the lab (like oh he cares more about his grades and getting into med school than our little lab).

I believe that any disinterest she thinks I may have is quickly connected to med school. I really wish I made no mention of my plans after undergrad.

Anyone else have any similiar situations?

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm.. i have a completely opposite situation...

I went in only having taken ochem 1 lab...

PI gave me my project and all the things I need to do, I either ask him how to do or ask the other PhD students in the labs... i never actually learnt the techniques before hand :S

hmmm.. i have a completely opposite situation...

I went in only having taken ochem 1 lab...

PI gave me my project and all the things I need to do, I either ask him how to do or ask the other PhD students in the labs... i never actually learnt the techniques before hand :S

I'm in the same situation as you vickpick, I am a little in over my head with my research (even though overall it's going well), but a lot of times I really don't know what I'm doing and my data is usually inaccurate. My PI is really nice and chill, he doesn't teach any classes (strictly research), so he always is assisting me, in fact on Friday we had a cell growing competition.

As for the OP, I recommend talking to the PI showing that you are interested. Maybe bring in a pastry tray or something to show that you are thankful and appreciative of being in the lab? I mean, there isn't much you can do if you think you've lost favor in your PI's eyes. If you really want to start a project, most schools allow you to apply for your own funding and if you were to do that I don't think your PI could not allow you to do your own project if you're funding it yourself and just using their lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation as you vickpick, I am a little in over my head with my research (even though overall it's going well), but a lot of times I really don't know what I'm doing and my data is usually inaccurate. My PI is really nice and chill, he doesn't teach any classes (strictly research), so he always is assisting me, in fact on Friday we had a cell growing competition.

As for the OP, I recommend talking to the PI showing that you are interested. Maybe bring in a pastry tray or something to show that you are thankful and appreciative of being in the lab? I mean, there isn't much you can do if you think you've lost favor in your PI's eyes. If you really want to start a project, most schools allow you to apply for your own funding and if you were to do that I don't think your PI could not allow you to do your own project if you're funding it yourself and just using their lab.

lol!

that sounds like fun...
I research in a Biochem lab... but I do mostly the chem stuff.. this other kid does the work of "feeding" bacteria some of the stuff we make..

yeah, so far i've been lost a lot, but its been a good learning experience..
Looking at the NMRs, most of my reactions never reach completion but I move on to the next reaction anyways... the PhD students working on similar reactions say that its gonna take more than a couple of times to perfect the reaction so no worrying abt completing every reaction in the first try..

Also, I don't see my PI that often. I saw him today and I asked him to order a reagent for me - that was pretty much the end of the convo after the formalities.. But he is very nice and friendly.. he even gives students advice on med school application process haha.. he has an MD but doesnt practice...

Honestly, this might not have as much to do with the time you were away from lab, as the way you discussed the absence with your PI. I have worked in many labs with the, "do it whenever you can, just get it done" mindset. Labs like this are alright with you skipping a couple of days to study when necessary, but they absolutely expect the missed labor to be made up for - even when it means working on weekends and evenings.

When you told your PI that you would be gone for the week, did you offer to come in after hours to make up for the lost time? If not, your PI may be worried that you will be MIA every time a test week comes along...and that your project will lag because of it.

Maybe you could talk to her and reassure her that you are devoted to the project and willing to devote a minimum number of hours to it each week (and make up for any hours you happen to miss along the way). If you are not willing to put in off-hour time, maybe you should reconsider taking on your own project.