Frustrating problem in Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find the lack of line references really annoying. I personally read the passage before I skim the questions. For example, a question asks about a specific term, ie) "which of the following best exemplifies the use of 'criterion of sincerity', as decribed in the passage."

I have to go back to a passage but I have no idea where the freaking term is, especially when the passage is really long and convoluted. What do I do?

I guess I can skim the questions before, but I really hate that method and even if I did, I find having the questions before hand in my mind distracts me from focusing on the main idea of the passage. Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you read the EK advice on verbal? They'd say don't go back to the passage at all to answer that question if you are having trouble finishing verbal sections. Even if you are finishing easily, you can often answer the question just by using the "main idea" of the passage. Also, going back to the passage can be risky considering the wrong answer choices are likely distortions/misinterpretations of what's in the passage.

All that being said, I understand that a quick glance back can be immensely helpful, especially if you're like me and have a pretty crappy short-term memory. There's really nothing that can be done to solve this "problem." I wouldn't recommend reading the questions before since, like you said, it does distract from your primary focus: understanding. I also think mapping is complete BS, a waste of time and another distraction from your primary focus. Just try harder to answer the question based on the main idea if you're pressed for time and if you have the time, skim to find it. Those are the best two options.

Does the real test have the numbers on the side?

Yes. But the questions that reference exact words don't list a line reference for the word in question so they are essentially useless.

Only suggestion that I could make is to not re-read the passage, just scan real quick with your eyes and look for the actual word. With that technique I could usually scan the entire passage again in a matter of a few seconds.

Yeah, and what I found really annoying, was that the Princeton practice exam program has the search feature that the AAMC aparently keeps saying they are going to put in. So you can use it during your practices, but it's pointless and a bad habit to pick up on.