Frustration finding health-related jobs after years in corporate marketing

Dec 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Greetings all! I was hoping to connect with/learn from non trads who may have gone through the same process. I'm a bit worried about how my stats will look to AdComs as a non-trad student with no patient contact or research experience. When I started my post bacc classes I had a bachelors in biology but was afraid that my GPA wasn't up to snuff. I'm just about 30 years old and completed the program while working for a corporate marketing company and volunteering for community programs. I did extremely well in my post bacc career and had a fairly high position in my company for many years. I loved my job and the people I worked for but decided to quit in favor of studying full time for the MCAT and finding a health-related job afterward. Not the best idea. I figured that completely immersing myself in studying would garner the highest score possible.

After a while I realized that I wasn't satisfied with my practice tests or the study material I was using -I'm a bit hard on myself. It's about 6 months later and I'm in the same position with much more solid books to study from. I realized that although I need some sort of health-related experience I probably should have kept my position at my former company. I know med school requires complete focus and dedication but I'm finding it difficult to concentrate without a job, money (I'm talking the bare minimum) or feeling like I'm doing something that matters/ contributes to society. In the past few months I've applied for entry level lab jobs (cell culturing etc...), med scribe positions, ER Tech positions ( I possessed an EMT license that lapsed years ago) and various related jobs and haven't received a single response. I plan to volunteer in the health field in the next few months before I apply but I was wondering if anyone else has seen success with actual jobs after years in corporate America? I would love to retrain as an EMT but with the winter round of the MCAT coming up I won't be able to do both. I apologize for the long question or if I posted something similar to someone else, I'm new to SDN, but I'd appreciate any words of wisdom or suggestions. Thanks!

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
You're in marketing. Right...so think about what you're marketing. They need somebody to move gurneys and lift people and you're a business person that wants to buff your resume while you're passing through. Whereas in this economy there is a glut of people trying to hustle and retrain to reach their pinnacle and stable career goals for that which you seek to stepstone over.

It's tough out there for everybody man. I don't know what to say. You gotta convince some nursing manager that you want to work hard for them. They have a nose for bullsh!t. Especially if they work in an ED. Maybe if you volunteered for them to prove it....? Or just keep trying. Walk in and ask them for 5 minutes of their time with your resume.

Look, people will say it gets longer and worse and whatever. Not really. The worst is when you're laying everything on the line for a scant maybe. But it's also the most intense and passionate phase given the magic of chance and uncertainty.

This is where you find out what it's worth to you. To give it all of your best for a what if..... ?

OP
NativeNonTrad08
Dec 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for your thoughtful reply Nasrudin. You're right - I've often wondered if people looking at my resume see the huge CORPORATE stamped across it and immediately write me off as someone who feels entitled to a short-term position sans experience or ridiculous pay. Honestly I'd be willing to sort glassware and clean floors (not that there's anything remotely wrong with that) just to catch a glimpse of how a practice operates. Volunteering is definitely on my list of things to do in the next few months and I'm no stranger to working my way up. It would be really helpful to find positions that take recent premeds or entry level workers without the presupposition that I'm trying to shoe-in somewhere without the necessary steps along the way.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you for your thoughtful reply Nasrudin. You're right - I've often wondered if people looking at my resume see the huge CORPORATE stamped across it and immediately write me off as someone who feels entitled to a short-term position sans experience or ridiculous pay. Honestly I'd be willing to sort glassware and clean floors (not that there's anything remotely wrong with that) just to catch a glimpse of how a practice operates. Volunteering is definitely on my list of things to do in the next few months and I'm no stranger to working my way up. It would be really helpful to find positions that take recent premeds or entry level workers without the presupposition that I'm trying to shoe-in somewhere without the necessary steps along the way.
There are those gigs out there--where they want smart, fast learning, ambitious people and they don't mind you passing though because they prefer intense energy over the lifer who gives not a single [email protected] But those are rare. Like exotic animals from Madagascar. They exist, I know about them. But I've never seen them. Scribes....sounds amazing. But I have a mixed up image of a Shakespearean character with funny hat and quill in my mind when I hear the word.

I got paid to move the meat man. But I came from construction and working on the docks. It wasn't a stretch what I was to them. It was also in the dot com hysteria in SF when every crossed-eyed fool and their cousin was making paper for doing nothing. Times are different. People with master's degrees are making coffee. And a job in healthcare with full bennies is a hell of a thing to have.

You have be perfectly qualified and perfectly imaginable by managers in whatever little crappy job is being offered these days. Being overqualified can be real liability these days.

Good luck.

OP
NativeNonTrad08
Dec 2, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Time to break out the frickin' safari gear (or maybe my best plume?) - I totally agree, being overqualified can be a liability and times are definitely different. I have to think though, that I'm not the only person that has gone through such a dramatic shift? So what I'm gathering is that I need to sell myself more - I just wonder which positions non-trads are most successful in obtaining at this level?

Thanks for the well wishes, Nasrudin - good to hear a story of success from a non-trad (especially from a cool city like SF)