Frustration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sick and tired of my regular classes getting in the way of MCAT prep. I could totally disregard them and watch my GPA go down the drain. I have done well so far handling the load while taking kaplan, but Im about to crack. I swear some professors think that their class is the ONLY one you have. How are the rest of you balancing school with mcat prep? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I swear all professors think that their class is the ONLY one you have. How are the rest of you balancing school with mcat prep? :eek:

FIX'D.

when are you taking it? Some people give up their summers to study and then take it in August or something... that generally avoids the whole course load/MCAT prep conflict

usually I advise students to take a light load of class before the MCAT for this reason. Gluck

Taking April 12th. At least I have spring break where all time will be given towards the mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I try and spend 1 hour a day doing some MCAT prep. Some days its and hour, some days its 10 minutes. Just try and stay with it. I agree. IT SUCKS:(

I feel all your pains. I go to a university which thinks that it will become a top tier school by giving their students coursework equivalent to a top school. It really sucks cause although my gpa is decent I have a downward trend so I gotta take a full courseload of difficult courses, balancing mcat studying with that is no joke. But hey, no pain no gain guys, try and keep the end result in mind.......

I try and spend 1 hour a day doing some MCAT prep. Some days its and hour, some days its 10 minutes. Just try and stay with it. I agree. IT SUCKS:(

Yeah, no matter what I have to do something in terms of mcat studying. If I dont do anything, I wont sleep. I feel better if its a glance at formula sheets, or reading a chapter from a kaplan book at the very least.

Yeah I know what you mean. Especially since last week I had exams in all of my classes, so I didn't get to do any MCAT studying at all during the week. I try to reserve weekends, particularly Saturday, for studying. It's definitely rough. But if you think about it, pretty much everyone who is taking in April is on the same page, so it all works out in the end...I hope...

Same situation here. I have been sacrificing MCAT studying for school work...I don't know if that's the best idea in the long run but I can't see my grades drop.

I am sick and tired of my regular classes getting in the way of MCAT prep. I could totally disregard them and watch my GPA go down the drain. I have done well so far handling the load while taking kaplan, but Im about to crack. I swear some professors think that their class is the ONLY one you have. How are the rest of you balancing school with mcat prep? :eek:

Hello,

r u Bangladeshi??

tnx

Tushin

I try and spend 1 hour a day doing some MCAT prep.
In my experience (which is extensive), this is inadequate in order to achieve the best performance that you, personally, can attain. Those students of mine who have done what I felt they could do on the actual test have almost always dedicated more than an hour per day, often more like two, in addition to the time in our (TPR's) classes and tests, which totals well in excess of 100 hours over the course of around ten weeks.

Studying for the MCAT is a big, big deal; most people will be unhappy with the results if they do not lighten their non-MCAT loads (whether schoolwork or otherwise) while preparing.

I'm in the same boat. Taking 3 science classes with labs and have exams and papers due all this week.. so not much time for MCAT. I have 5 weeks left and I am really nervous b/c I don't think I've been studying like I should. After these exams and over Spring break I am going to have to bust my as* and study MCAT as much as I can :scared:

On a positive note, April MCAT scores are showing a trend of being higher than August scores.:rolleyes:

When I was in medical school, I seriously thought Darwin theroy applied perfectly. Those who have the strongest will and can survive the crazy studying, exams, classes, with the addition of GMAT preps make it thru. Then comes being an intern, then residency...

You'll get thru it, we all did :smuggrin:

You just have to stay honest with yourself---keep a journal of what you have accomplished and what you are in the process of accomplishing. The time I took 17 hrs was a big lie to myself. I was very focused on school but had hardly any time to focus on what's most important---practice test analysis/content repetition, etc etc.
best of :luck: to you all, and if you have to sacrifice making less than an A or B+ in a class or two, just let it go and focus on your score.

Thanks for this thread - I just feel constantly overwhelmed this semester! :eek:

I'm taking the June 15 MCAT, and have pretty much resolved to focus first and foremost on classes for the rest of the semester while doing the bare minimum for Kaplan, and using spring break plus the 3.5 weeks I have between finals and the MCAT for some hardcore studying and doing all of the "optional" Kaplan material.

It's certainly not ideal, but the June date puts me in a better situation than the April folks in terms of study time, and I just don't want to sacrifice my GPA. (I am a post-bac, so I don't have that many classes contributing to my BCMP GPA in the first place...these are important.)

My diagnostic was pretty good, but I know that if I took a semester off I could rock the test. I just don't want to give up another year of my life before applying. It's a choice, I guess, with tradeoffs...

If my diagnostics aren't where I want them as the test gets closer, I may consider the July/August MCAT dates (if they're not full). But I'd like to take biochem this summer and then go back to working (you know, MAKING MONEY) during the year I interview!

But I appreciate the advice people have posted, and I'd welcome more. Please keep it coming.

How many classes are you taking? How many credits do you guys recommend someone take while preparing for the MCAT? I was planning on a May test date, but I'm thinking of pushing it back to June because I'm taking 15 hours and I'd like to have that last month after May finals to dedicate solely to the MCAT.

I know how you guys feel. I'm taking 16 credits (with 3 sciences) and am scheduled for the June 15 MCAT. My regular classes have begun to annoy me as well.

I have set aside blocks of time during the week just for MCAT studying--no exceptions. Then I work as much 'extra' time in as I can elsewhere. I also keep a log of how much time I spent studying and what I covered.

I think it is important to make a schedule, or at least set goals for yourself and stick to meeting them as much as possible.

Just my $.02, but if you guys are this worried about the MCATs I have no doubts as to your dedication and academic ability. The biggest piece of advice I can offer you about the MCATs is DON'T WORRY ABOUT THEM!!!
It's a stupid piece of paper (well when I took it, it was, but I guess now it's a stupid computer screen). You are all better than that, trust me.

Put your time in, sacrifice a few nights out, but remember to do the stuff that you love as well, whether it be working out, reading fiction books, playing video games, whatever. Rememeber, everyone applying to medical school for the most part has good grades and test scores, they want people though, not computers that spit out information. Focus some on your personal statement, essays and EC's as well.

Most importantly, the week before the exam, relax, don't study, go have fun, drink a virgin daquiri on the beach or something. Get a good nights rest before, wake up, eat a little something, and go whip its butt. I have no doubts that you will be fine.

(And just in case you're wondering, I did not set a record among MCAT scores, but I did well enough to get me into my school of choice and not be freaked out about the application process. I decided two months before the April exam that I wanted to apply to school and take the MCAT. So even with very little time to do some self motivated study, it can be done.)