FSU med not accredited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usfgator

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would pass this information along for those who are interested in Florida medical schools. This might influence your decison about particular schools. Good luck!

<a href="http://www.sptimes.com/2002/02/08/State/FSU_med_school_not_ac.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.sptimes.com/2002/02/08/State/FSU_med_school_not_ac.shtml</a>

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't apply because of this reason. It's like going to school abroad, but cheaper. This status may change in the future, though.

As much as I don't want to say this, FSU is a great school. I have no doubt that they will be accredited by the time their first class graduates.

That being said, I'm glad they didn't accept me last year :wink: . I didn't even apply there this year. Unless you want to become a primary care physician, forget about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a gator, I usually have nothing nice to say about FSU, but I also agree that FSU med will eventually be accredited. However in the mean time, it will not be a very enjoyable ride for those students who will constantly have this in the back of their minds. It is just something to think about if you decide to attend FSU.

Actually, the delimma of FSU's lack of accreditation is worse than one would think. When a student attends an institution that is unaccredited, that student will "still" have graduated from an unacc. school even if they (FSU) obtain it before he/or she graduates. From what I've been told, the concern is the period of time the student received instruction under the "unaccredited status" (for instance, the Freshman and Sophmore years of a 4 year program). All 4 years of the program needs to be approved before a student participates.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Ibis:
•Actually, the delimma of FSU's lack of accreditation is worse than one would think. When a student attends an institution that is unaccredited, that student will "still" have graduated from an unacc. school even if they (FSU) obtain it before he/or she graduates. From what I've been told, the concern is the period of time the student received instruction under the "unaccredited status" (for instance, the Freshman and Sophmore years of a 4 year program). All 4 years of the program needs to be approved before a student participates.•••••So are you saying the 30 students in the freshman class at FSU are wasting their time? Why would they even consider going to an unaccredited medical school?

Well isn't just like going to medical school abroad? How does it compare to St. George's? They're not accredited I think. If you go to FSU, you get to pay in state tuition.

The first two years of F$U's program is accredited. It is the third and fourth year that was rejected. It is my understanding that as long as it is accredited by the time the first entering class graduates (2005), then everything will be ok with them.