MSW FSU MSW program what are my chances with a horrible gre score? Advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wheelchairpsychgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Since I've been on the forum last. I decided to change my major to social work. I'm nearing the end of my junior year. I have to get back into FSU for my MSW, because of my disability I do not have the luxury of moving.

I took the GRE yesterday and made an abysmal 141Q 145V. I have never had an aptitude for standardized tests. I've never passed one According to FSUs website. They do not have a minimum score. The website says:
What is the minimum required score for the GRE ?
We do not have a minimum required score for the GRE exam.While we do not have a minimum required score for the GRE, please give your best effort, as your score is considered in the review of your file.

Aside from that:
  • I have a 3.815 GPA (hopefully 3.9 by the time I graduate)
  • I have a minor in psych
  • Currently a RA in a lab
  • I've been an activity coordinator at an assisted living facility
  • I have an application in with Big Brothers Big Sisters to become a mentor ( should hear something soon)
  • in various honor societies/ have gotten academic scholarships
  • will have good LORs (I think)
  • I'm proficient in SPSS, Powerpoint,Excel and Word
I do not believe that a horrible score should preclude me from getting in. It doesn't tell the world how successful I will be as a SWer; it just shows that I suck at standardized tests! Any advice would help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would just apply and hope for the best. Should they not accept you, then you could follow up with the admissions department and determine if the GRE score was the determining factor. If it was, then perhaps purchase some test prep books for the GRE and retake.

Social work programs are generally not as numbers driven; they want to know your story. GPA and GRE scores seem to only be used to determine if you have the capacity to handle the curriculum. Given your GPA, it seems that you don't struggle with academics.

Good luck!