Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2010
Status
I'm just wondering... can anybody tell me why I would choose to go to FSU COM over UF COM and UF COM?

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to narrow my choices for medical school.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
I'm just wondering... can anybody tell me why I would choose to go to FSU COM over UF COM and USF COM?

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to narrow my choices for medical school.
Most people I know wouldn't. But if you do I'm assuming it would be cuz you like their curriculum better or like their faculty better or because you want to focus in on primary care. Although to be fair they did match a few in rads and specialties. Or because you like the location better. I'm not sure what else you would base it on.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Why? Because it is great here. It isn't competive in the class. The matchlists are solid. The faculty will bend over backwards for you here. I have friends at UF and they are miserable. Not talking crap about the school. They produce solid docs, but it is pretty cut throat. FSU likes to talk about primary care focus and they do talk a lot about it, but you will not be "pushed" into it. I have friends here that were accepted to UF, USF and Miami amongst other schools. They chose here because of the friendly family atmosphere and caring profs. Many of the profs we have came here because they wanted to focus on teaching and not worry about crap associated with research.

You go where you are happy. I have no regrets coming here at all. My debt will be under 40k. I will have the same letters after my name. We produce exceedingly competent physicians that match into a variety of fields at some of the top programs in the country.

Oct 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I have been accepted at USF and FSU and I am waiting for a post-interview decision at UF. I really liked all three schools! The only negative I see about FSU is that you spend your last 2 years somewhere else- and most the sites are not large teaching hospitals. This is in line with the school's mission to turn out primary care docs. Also, it would be unrealistic for me to relocate after two years because I am married (although I was told if you are married you get first priority since your spouse would have to relocate). The only other negative is Tallahassee itself- I don't know if my husband would be able to get a job there, at least in this economy. This school is great if you are interested in primary care!

USF is great, and there are virtually no negatives for me other than the relocation issue.

UF is great also, but I am not sure about the rumors of the competitiveness of the class. If this is true, it you may want to avoid it. However, the school is prestigous and has an impressive match list. I would love to go here.

Hope this helps, it is all just MY impresion.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Surprisingly this year a lot of people matched into competitive specialties coming out of USF.

several in rads, 2 in ortho, few in derm, 2 in rad onco, etc. But the match lists are hardly anything to go by because we don't know what a person's board scores were, why they chose IM vs. say competitive field, how they ranked residency selection, etc. You know what I mean?

mdgator

10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
2nd year at FSU, chose it over 5 or 6 other schools b/c of cost and it's close to home. Love the school.

As for choosing here over other Florida schools, it's a personal decision that should be based on which school you liked best, which location you like best, how close you want to be to home, cost, etc. You will get a great (equal) education at all Florida schools. You will be no more likely to get into a great residency program at any one school. Pick the school you like.

And as for going to a different city for third and fourth year, it seems to have its up sides and down sides.
Down sides: Some people had a major preference for one city, and had to go to another because too many other people wanted to go there as well. Another potential down side is that most of your rotations will not be in a residency program, as they are not at teaching hospitals. (Although there are compelling arguments that this is not a downside at all.)
Up sides: Actually, it turns out that you get to do a whole lot more, in a typical day, than med students at other schools because you don't have residents and other medical students to compete with for procedures, etc. For example, most of our third years catch 20 babies during OB rotation, and they are first-assist on every surgery.

Of course, this is mostly word-of-mouth, as I haven't started third year yet. But bottom line: every Florida med school sends students to awesome residencies. Pick a school you like and good luck.

Oh, I should include that FSU gives out some pretty good scholarships to a bunch of students, but you won't likely know if you're going to get one until after you're accepted.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
2nd year at FSU, chose it over 5 or 6 other schools b/c of cost and it's close to home. Love the school.

As for choosing here over other Florida schools, it's a personal decision that should be based on which school you liked best, which location you like best, how close you want to be to home, cost, etc. You will get a great (equal) education at all Florida schools. You will be no more likely to get into a great residency program at any one school. Pick the school you like.

And as for going to a different city for third and fourth year, it seems to have its up sides and down sides.
Down sides: Some people had a major preference for one city, and had to go to another because too many other people wanted to go there as well. Another potential down side is that most of your rotations will not be in a residency program, as they are not at teaching hospitals. (Although there are compelling arguments that this is not a downside at all.)
Up sides: Actually, it turns out that you get to do a whole lot more, in a typical day, than med students at other schools because you don't have residents and other medical students to compete with for procedures, etc. For example, most of our third years catch 20 babies during OB rotation, and they are first-assist on every surgery.

Of course, this is mostly word-of-mouth, as I haven't started third year yet. But bottom line: every Florida med school sends students to awesome residencies. Pick a school you like and good luck.

Oh, I should include that FSU gives out some pretty good scholarships to a bunch of students, but you won't likely know if you're going to get one until after you're accepted.

I agree that curriculum and location should be the main factors alongside financial aid in determining where you want to go. Go where you felt most comfortable. FSU was designed to produce more primary care doctors for the region, but you will find that many of their grads this year are not staying in fl. or necessarily doing primary care. they matched quite a few including someone i knew in ugrad days in rads and competitive fields. so it is what you make of it. i've heard both good and bad from former FSU med students.

I wish you luck in your decisions.

Mar 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
UF COM has no problems with the medical school classes being to "cut-throat." It is a great school and if you want to be a great doctor, you need to go to UF. The teachers at UF really care about teaching their students.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
UF COM has no problems with the medical school classes being to "cut-throat." It is a great school and if you want to be a great doctor, you need to go to UF. The teachers at UF really care about teaching their students.
You know I've heard mixed things about UF. I have friends who love it there and are about to enter 4th years and other friends who hated it there. Knew 2 people who dropped out of there from med school because they thought it was hell. But I also have several other friends that love it. Its a love hate relationship with UF. I do agree though that I don't think it is as cut throat as people make it out to be cuz the friends who like it there really like it and they are chill people who have been real honest with me and whom i know very well.

Mar 15, 2010
Orlando/Tally, FL
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I actually chose FSU over UMiami Miller b/c of the option to return to Orlando after two years. They told me at the interview that those with family in the area get higher priority.

Also, FSU offers some good financial aid. It seems to me that I'll be able to stay under 100k by graduation, compared to almost 200K at UM Miller.

IMO, you really ought to go with where you felt most comfortable. I.E.: If you like a competitive environment...if that keeps you pushing the limits...choose a school that offers that.

Status
Not open for further replies.