FT/FT killing anyone else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miabullitt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
boy am I burnt out! I've been working 40 hours a week and taking 12+ credits every semester, and it is really getting to me.

Anyone else here a Full time employee/student?

Members don't see this ad.

boy am I burnt out! I've been working 40 hours a week and taking 12+ credits every semester, and it is really getting to me.

Check out the non-trad forum - this basically describes all of us over there! Hang tough - be motivated by the end goal.

I'm there with you. It's okay, but every once in a while it becomes stressful.

Members don't see this ad :)

i did that for 90% of my undergrad years... not fun... i def dont recommend this to anyone..dont do it if you dont have to.. 3.9gpa during that 10%.. 3.1gpa in the other 90%..

Thumbs-up of solidarity :thumbup:

And, as has already been said, I too have seen my GPA drop precipitously with full time work... Sigh...

Im there with you brother. I had a talk with my supervisior today about cutting me back to PT and she said I would lose my pto, benefits and tuition reb. Oh well, this FT **** is killing me...I mean literally killing me.

I hope adcom's can admire good academic progress under the stress of a full workload (w2's to prove :D)

God love you! That is SO hard. I have never done full-time work and full-time classes--but I've been close, and being close almost killed me. I can't imagine what being there is like! :eek:

Im with you, it literally made me sick doing it. I had been burning the candle at both ends and virtually getting no sleep. I ended up getting sick this semester and wound up in the hospital with pneumonia for a week. Thank you PTO.

Doing it out of need not greed. I can be top 2% of my class if I didn't work, but due to limited study time I fall in top 10%.
Trust me, I understand completely. I've worked my way through college and post-bac because I had to. It took a toll on my grades, so I reevaluated my need and for my last two years used the loans/got a PT job that I loved instead that paid room and board. It was worth my sanity and beneficial to the GPA.

I feel ya, man. I've never done 12+ credits and 40 hours/week but I've done 40 hrs/week, 8 credits and planned a wedding/took care of a newborn. It's rough, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I think the day I quit this job to matriculate is going to be so sweet.

I'm torn between a long, drawn-out goodbye email and a simple "SEE YA, SUCKAZ!!!!!11!!1" email.

I wish I could quit like Scarface does in Half Baked, but I honestly don't have that many people here that I'd want to curse out. :laugh:

I've worked ~50 hours a week my first and second year of college, at a night job. It was complimentary to my full time school schedule because 1) it was quiet 2) there is no one to talk to and 3) all your friends are asleep. I couldn't keep it up though, ended up falling asleep at work and got fired.

I put in my time.