FTD - OPTIONS FOR 2011-12. USA vs CANADA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asghan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to sdn. I'm a FTD - BDS from a govt. dental college in India on Oct 19,2010. I would be getting my original degree and permanent registration only by feb 2011 at least. Currently I"m working in a clinic and preparing for GRE/Toefls.

My career goals are : to be able to practice dentistry, and get involved in academics side by side. I'm more suited to academic dentistry and find teaching very satisfying and pleasurable. Though I don't want to limit myself to any one exclusively.

1. I haven't decided whether to concentrate on US/ Canada. Canada has an equivalency process, which i think is going to be tough.

2. Would it be better to take up an MPH/MS course in Canada or US and then side by side prepare for the NBDE?
As if I don't get a good score in nbde I could atleast not be wasting my time and be able to complete a masters.

3. US has better options like MS dental informatics, oral biology, craniofacial biology etc.

So which do u guys advice to concentrate on? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi asghan,If you want to immigrate to US, an MS/MPH would be the best choice. Once you are here you can try for Boards/ whatever they are going to introduce after 2011. If you have someone here to support you it will be easier. Otherwise convincing the US immigration officers in India would be the most difficult part; even if you have a letter of acceptance in your hand. They consider all prospective students as prospective immigrants. Hence you must convince them that you will return after your studies. I know this because, my dear one has gone through all that.Many have done it. Still it is something very important which you should anticipate. For the time i would say you concentrate on GRE and Toefl. I have no idea about Canada. Sorry.

thanks a lot for the reply smyle. There are a lot of Indian dentists in US here.So perhaps they could help in this query

ru guys also doing MS/MPH and studying side by side for boards. I found MS oral biology, craniofacial biology, biomaterials, and dental informatics course. and MPH and MHA.

my query is applying for which of these courses would make sense if my main aim is to clear boards, 1.the course should preferably be light and easy and 2. it should do some good to my future career, as in have good job prospects ( I"m interested in teaching and research secondary to clinical practice)

yes for now I'm going to concentrate on GRE/toefl and get a good score in that. thanks....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi asghan,If you want to immigrate to US, an MS/MPH would be the best choice. Once you are here you can try for Boards/ whatever they are going to introduce after 2011. If you have someone here to support you it will be easier. Otherwise convincing the US immigration officers in India would be the most difficult part; even if you have a letter of acceptance in your hand. They consider all prospective students as prospective immigrants. Hence you must convince them that you will return after your studies. I know this because, my dear one has gone through all that.Many have done it. Still it is something very important which you should anticipate. For the time i would say you concentrate on GRE and Toefl. I have no idea about Canada. Sorry.

sir i just wanted to ask is it possible for me to give the nbde part 1 in a prometric centre in canada and then using that marks apply to a university in USA. cos it would be easier for me to give the exam in canada then the US..cos i got relatives in canada..is it possible thanks in advance

yes impacted mind...it is possible. centres are there in some cities in Canada