Fuel efficient cars...Honda Fit

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by vtrx2013, 09.20.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. vtrx2013

vtrx2013 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I drive 120 miles everyday to and from work. I did some research and found the Honda Fit to be the best option (non-hybrid/electric car). Any thoughts?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. njac

njac Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I like the fit, especially if you need to do any on street/parallel parking.

I have a similar commute and I went with a jetta tdi. I'm getting a solid 40mpg on the freeway going 80mph over mountains.

4. trailerpark

trailerpark 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Honda fit would be a great choice.

5. Sparda29

Sparda29 En Taro Adun Gold Donor 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Verified
    Pharmacist
    Scion FR-S. I drive about 50-70 miles a day. Tank lasts me about 4 days and is a 10.5 gallon tank.

6. jafx

jafx 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Verified
    Army
    Get a 1986 Honda Civic Coupe HF :p 51mpg non-hybrid, if you can live with the embarrassment.

You could get like 77 mpg on a ninja if you're willing to ride a motorcycle.

7. xiphoid2010

xiphoid2010 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Is there no moving closer? That's 30K mile/yr just for going to work 5 days a week. Add some weekend miles, you'll be looking at a new car maybe every 4 years. Depreciation is likely a bigger cost than the differences in fuel economy. I would crunch some numbers between buying a cheap reliable used car more frequently vs. cost of driving a new Fit every 4 yrs.

waiter and jafx like this.
  8. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I drive an Audi TT 3.2L V6 approximately 50 miles each way and have to fill up on gas every 3 days. I wouldn't recommend it.

9. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What kind of POS are you driving that becomes useless at 150k miles?

njac and jafx like this.
  10. xiphoid2010

Pharmacist
    That was my Honda accord. Abs light, check engine light, airbag light, and a non-working AC at 150k.

11. njac

njac Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That's a shame. My 1988 corolla got to 300K miles without a check engine light coming on once. My 2004 Volvo has a wonky sensor at 170K or so that makes it come on, but the mechanic just turns it off when I ask.

12. jafx

jafx 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Verified
    Army
    You can generally completely restore a classic car, with poly suspension, under 10k miles engine/trans, refreshed AC system, new tires, etc... and much much more for under $15,000.

That's still half the cost of most new cars, for essentially a new car.

13. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    True, but harder to finance.

14. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    City miles?

15. xiphoid2010

Pharmacist
    Roughly 50/50.

16. jafx

jafx 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Verified
    Army
    As pharmacists you guys should be able to self finance after 2 months salary. :)

17. xiphoid2010

Pharmacist
    A quick google found this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-your-car-last-for-200000-miles/

So to break 200k miles, the best bet is a large pickup or SUV. Among cars, the Honda Accord was actually the best bet with 1.6% chance of making it to 200k. I guess I could have fixed all those problems and get there, but that probably would cost more than the car's worth.

18. pezdispenser

pezdispenser 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    When I was a floater and had to drive 70+ miles one-way to the furthest stores, I had a Corolla which I bought brand new for about $11.5k. Of course it had the poverty package = manual transmission, manual windows, manual door locks, but it did have A/C. A Corolla or similar POS was actually the car of choice amongst chain RPhs... Maybe we were afraid a flashy BMW would be too likely to get vandalized by a pissed off customer or something...

Anyway, it got great mileage, 40 mpg, just like the Fit, so operating costs were really low. Just oil changes every 5,000 miles for about $20. Pretty solid reliability but I did end up blowing a wheel bearing from all the miles, but it was an easy fix for about $120.

Tires for it were cheap too. Maybe $50 each, but I bought a whole set of four with alloy rims off some guy on the internet for $200. Ended up using them, and then selling them to some other guy for the same $200, so my net cost was $0. Once I got a flat tire on my Lexus, and it cost $350 just for that one tire!

Sold the car after 5 years, 75k miles to CarMax for $6k, so net cost was $5.5k.

Diesels like the Jetta are worth a look too because they get great highway mileage. As long as diesel does not cost significantly more than regular gasoline in your area.

jafx likes this.
  19. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Give the Accord more credit than that. The article states that 1.6% of current Accords listed for sale are at 200k+ miles, and even mentions that the percentage is only that low because there are so many accords out there right now. You probably have a pretty decent chance of making it to 200k with an Accord. I know my '96 Camry made it that far before I traded up.

20. jafx

jafx 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Verified
    Army
    Accords, Camry's, etc... are cradle to grave cars. People generally buy one new or newish and drive it until it goes to the scrap pile. That could account for the low percentage of "for sale over 200k" vehicles.

njac likes this.
  21. xiphoid2010

Pharmacist
    I think most cars will cross the repair cost > worth before 200k miles. My first was a corolla, one of the 4 cylinders smoked out at 188k. My accord, while was still running at 150k, had so many warning lights would most likely costed way more to repair than the $1500 it was worth.

22. jafx

jafx 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Verified
    Army
    Honestly, almost all warning light problems can be solved with the associated generic sensor being replaced. Having previously restored cars / engines as a hobby I've talked my way out of a lot of bull charges from the mechanic. You'd be surprised how often they try to charge you north of $500 for a repair that should cost under $200. Even had a guy try to charge $1200 to replace the speed sensor, which can be a pain, because he broke the sensor off in the transmission and it took him all day to get the stub back out. Had I not known that replacing a speed sensor should cost less than $200, I would have walked away screwed. In the end, he walked away screwed.

It pays to always ask to be shown the book price for a repair before you agree to it, then hold them to the contract if it takes them extra time.

I can see how the hassle of a used vehicle would not be cost effective for a pharmacist though. You guys make SO MUCH money per hour worked, that it's counter-intuitive for you to not have a warranty with rental vehicle coverage during down time. Just buy the cheapest car you can, and the money you save will make up for the gas mileage.

23. vevenaneathna

vevenaneathna

lurker here.
    All of you got into pharm school, which means all of you took ochem.
    Why dont you guys make biodiesel for a fraction of the price of the stuff at the pump.
    Simple transesterfication reaction. Maybe its not worth your time or you dont have space.

Just thought ide bring up the spirit of that post a few weeks ago about the stupid things you guys do to save money.

24. sakigt

sakigt Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Why non hybrid?

Honda fit, Toyota Yaris/Corolla, any of these will get great MPG.

I loved our Prius, very few movable parts. Hubs got 52+ mpgs, I got 60+, look for 2010+ for highway use as the bigger motor is better for this use.

Beware the newer diesels. That low emission is because of a part called the DPF which filters the exhaust and needs to be changed every 80-100k, unlike the "batteries will wear out!!!" fear mongering, this is an actual cost that will set you back $2k unless you want to chip it to bypass the ECU and create a smokestack behind you. Budget for that.

Repair costs can cost a lot with higher mileage cars, which is why you spend 15 mins on the internet and youtube to figure out your problem and either hand the part to the dealership with instructions or DIY. My 12 year old car with 125k miles has a few issues I need to fix but is not going ANYWHERE anytime soon because its not worth being fixed....and I have a Chrysler!

About the ads