Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

FUHS vs clinical research

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by EFW, Jun 23, 2002.

1. EFW

EFW New Member

hey guys just wanted to see if i can get some input on a dillema i have. officially i have accepted a spot at FUHS for the AP prgm this yr, but i have also secured a clinical research job at a major research/teaching hospital at home and get to work with world reknown researchers. what do you guys think will be the most prudent choice to increase my acceptance into meds? my stats are kinda shabby with a gpa hovering around mid 3.4 and a 30mcat. thx for any advice!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FU....CMS

FU....CMS Senior Member

personally, i think "research expr" is a crop of issh. school don't really care about research unless, 1.) they are a top research school and elite med school (Harvard, UCSF, UPenn, etc), and 2.) what research you do doesn't matter. it's more in how much time you have put in as extracirriculars (not really as a full-time job), and it only stands out if you have publications as an author. not as an acknowledgement.

you all know my stance on Finch/CMS and it's AP. i vouch for it, and give it my 100% recommendation with full-confidence.

you are taking a risk with your year off. either way, you will learn and gain new and good expr. but if you want to hedge your bets and stack your odds...CMS is the way to go. 3.0GPA equals an MD. what does your research offer? at best, publication as an author. but so what? do you want to be an MD/PhD?? do you want to go to the elite med schools?